BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I get a low tire pressure warning last night, this morning I checked and found a screw in the center of the tire, not the side wall. Since this is my firs bmw and the first time dealing with run flats, does anyone have any advice as to what I should do? Do I get a brand new tire, get it patched or what would be my best option?

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Conti RFT Road hazard etc

What brand is your RFT? Some brands do not recommend patches while others do. The brands that do not recommend patches(e.g. Pirelli) at times come with road hazard policies that allow free/prorated replacements.
Conti's have a road hazard warranty - depending on your tire's tread depth and age. Check their website for warranty specifics or in your car's owner's manual/glovebox for tire warranty coverage. I've attached a copy of mine from my previous 2013 535xDrive!

You may have to "educate" your dealer's service writer who might more anxious to sell you a new tire.

MANY RFTs can be repaired ... IF DONE CORRECTLY (combo-plug/patch etc).

In the meantime DO NOT ALLOW THE INFLATION PRESSURE TO GET TOO LOW - DO NOT DRIVE ON IT if inflation pressure is low (less than 20-25 psi) - that will damage the sidewall and make the tire not-repairable.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks a whole lot, really appreciate it. The tires are only 10 months, the thread is still good nothing worn down, I don't do any crazy driving or speeding, just normal, once in a while I'll let it out but that's on occasions.

I'll do the plug/patch deal, the screw is right in the center, not a little to the left or right, it's in the exact center of the tire, and yeah I'll inflate it so as not to damage the side walls, thanks again.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
You can get RFTs patched at a locally-owned tire place. Discount Tire does not patch RFTs if the manufacturer recommends against it (as I think Conti does).

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,115 Posts
So I get a low tire pressure warning last night, this morning I checked and found a screw in the center of the tire, not the side wall. Since this is my firs bmw and the first time dealing with run flats, does anyone have any advice as to what I should do? Do I get a brand new tire, get it patched or what would be my best option?
You can get this repaired, but not all shops will do it.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Although some tire companies permit 1 or 2 RMA-approved inside patch and plug of run flat tires or non run flat tires, Continental does NOT recommend any repair to Continental SSR tires .

As someone mentioned, you could try Continental tire warranty, but note warranty is for "new replacement market tires" not originally manufacturer installed tires, and does not cover road hazard condition, "after the first 2/32nds (1.6mm) of an inch of treadwear or 12 months of service, whichever comes first." But you can't get what you don't ask for, so try that.

Also note, if you do go against Continental's recommendation and get the tire patched and plugged from the inside, if you can find someone who will do it despite Continental's recommendation, if your tire fails afterward, the Continental warranty is void.

Tires are one of those things that way too many people do stupid things and risk their lives and others' lives. Four small patches of rubber do way too much to try and save a couple of dollars.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,115 Posts
I'm not 100% sure how RFTs work, but, it would occur to me that you should remove the projectile before continuing driving in order to prevent rim destruction?
Bad advice. It's no different than regular tires. If the screw is removed, now you have a hole in the tire, and will have a full loss of pressure. Once all pressure is lost, and you are driving on the stiffer sidewall, those sidewalls start to deteriorate, and you can no longer patch the hole, because the structural rigidity of the RFT is compromised. Similar to if you drove on a flat tire--the tire becomes damaged beyond repair.

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
I've been reading on the forum that RFT's can't be patched, but then again, these are posts from 2007, a 10 year difference.
It's not so much that an RFT cannot be repaired but more about the potential damage to the sidewall if the tire was driven on without pressure. The repair facility has no means to determine if the tire has sustained damage and therefore replacement is typically recommended.

·
Registered
329 Posts
+1 I've had 2 patched with no issues. As has been said it will be fine as long as it's in the tread and not on the side-wall. Suggest getting it patched asap and don't drive on it too long!

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
+1 I've had 2 patched with no issues. As has been said it will be fine as long as it's in the tread and not on the side-wall. Suggest getting it patched asap and don't drive on it too long!
IMO if the intent is to patch an RFT then treat it as you would a non-RFT tire and avoid driving on it at all (unless it continues to hold a safe amount of air) Otherwise you risk some amount of damage which, IMO, is not worth it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.