Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have it back together, Im tempted to Seafoam. Ive done it before in other cars including my Mustang with mixed results. Its easy and brainless to dump some in the gas tank and hope it does some good. Im not doing it in the crank case for now. I do want to maybe put some through the intake. Im reading such extreme views both ways on our cars. Some say heck ya, others say no way. I did read where an owner put it into the brake boost line rather than mess around with taking off everything to get access to the TB with the Seafoam spray. I dont have the spray,I have the regular can.

First dumb question, in my picture, that is the brake booster line correct? Letting it suck through that line would be harmfull? Will it even reach all the cylinders with this method considering the vast amount of space it has to cross to get to the far ones? Any thoughts? I know, boring subject thats been beat to death but whatever. I think this engine is at 110,000 miles now. I put new plugs in last year and its due for an oil change. Also, this wont hurt the new VC and gasket I just installed being that Ive only ran it for a total of 30 minutes since Ive put it in?

Attachments

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
Now that I have it back together, Im tempted to Seafoam. Ive done it before in other cars including my Mustang with mixed results. Its easy and brainless to dump some in the gas tank and hope it does some good. Im not doing it in the crank case for now. I do want to maybe put some through the intake. Im reading such extreme views both ways on our cars. Some say heck ya, others say no way. I did read where an owner put it into the brake boost line rather than mess around with taking off everything to get access to the TB with the Seafoam spray. I dont have the spray,I have the regular can.

First dumb question, in my picture, that is the brake booster line correct? Letting it suck through that line would be harmfull? Will it even reach all the cylinders with this method considering the vast amount of space it has to cross to get to the far ones? Any thoughts? I know, boring subject thats been beat to death but whatever. I think this engine is at 110,000 miles now. I put new plugs in last year and its due for an oil change. Also, this wont hurt the new VC and gasket I just installed being that Ive only ran it for a total of 30 minutes since Ive put it in?

I wouldn’t bother. Slow and steady is the game with degreasing/decarboning. With non-DI engines, carbon issues on the valves isn’t much of a concern. If there is carbon, you don’t want to break it loose and have it inhaled, many a modern DI GM LSx engine has bit the dust for that reason. Run two bottles of Techron through it and be fine. I’ve got a set of 300k mile Olds heads on my shelf that got the Lucas treatment since the ‘80s, and are pretty darn clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
356 Posts
I agree. I wouldn***8217;t bother with Seafoam. Running Techron every now and then has worked well for me for many years.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I agree. I wouldn’t bother with Seafoam. Running Techron every now and then has worked well for me for many years.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I was getting a knock and horrible miss fire lack of power and felt like it was running on 4 out of 8 cylinders. Can of seafoam in the take cleared it up. I usually seafoam threw the vacuum line to the back of my valve cover. 94 530i. I’m also running no cat larger manifold and removed the heat sink inside lil different than the straight 6. I know people that live by it and others that hate it. The reason no one puts it in the tank is because you taking all the crap in the tank and pushing it into your fuel filter then your injectors. If you have a clean(ish) system and regularly change your fuel filters (mine uses two)it’s should be fine. Never had an issue using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

1 - 5 of 5 Posts