BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They started to sell Seafoam at Walmart. I picked one up. Now my question is how do I use it? Theres so many different ways so do I put in gas tank, thru the vaccum (and where/how)?
I wanted to give my fuel injectors a good clean hoping this will help.
Thinking thru the gas tank...so do I wait until empty, pour all, and fill completely up?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I noticed its best through a vacuum line. Remove a vacuum line and insert it in the seafoam. Have somebody in the car keep the car from dying until you just about empty the bottle. Then let the car either die on its own or turn it off. Wait 10-15 min let it soak into the motor. Reconnect the vacuum line and drive the car in an area where their are not many people. It will smoke ALOT. Its been recommended to drive it hard lol It works.
The car will smoke for a bit but its removing any carbon build up that was in the motor.

Hope that helps some.

·
Ducati fills my BMW's gap
415 Posts
Just go get some Chevron Techron cleaner... it's better than the BG44 and it only costs $8. Put it in the tank with 10-12 gal. of fuel. Repeat every 3-5K miles

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Here is an example of why I'm a believer in using a can of Techron in the gas tank a week before every oil change plus occasionally using Seafoam or BG44K using the induction method to really clean things out.

Brand new E92 M3 motor after 1,300 miles! (BMW Tech said this is normal buildup)

20,00 mile E92 M3

This is an E39 M5 motor with 100K miles

E39 M5 head with 100K miles

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So what's the best way to use Seafoam on our car? Pour directly into the gas tank? Kinda afraid to do the vacuum route.
Also has anyone tried the Seafoam via the gas tank?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
1) Fully warm up the engine - take a spirited drive for at least 15 minutes
2) Dump 1/3 of the can into the gas tank
3) Dump 1/3 of the can into the oil (optional)
4) Disconnect the brake boost hose and slowly pour the last 1/3 into the intake
5) Let the engine sit for 15 minutes
6) Go for a 30 minute drive in a remote area - you will be leaving a batmobile smoke screen
7) Change your oil within 100 miles if you dumped seafoam into the oil

Some guys use the boost hose to suck up the seafoam. You have to be careful not to fully submerge the hose into the fluid, you want to slowly "slurp" it up. If you submerge the hose in fluid there is a risk of hydrolocking the engine.

You might end up stalling the engine near the end of 1/3 can into the brake boost. That is normal. Just leave the car for 15 min after the stall.

BG44K is used in essentially the same way.

Here are few example videos:

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
If you don't dump the 1/3rd into the oil then what do you do, just have it left over? Or do you increase the dosage for the other 2 stages?
I would dump 2/3 into the gas tank in this case. You don't need to put a 1/2 can into the intake.

[EDIT]I would do an oil change after performing any type of carbon cleaning, even if it's gas tank only.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Hey, wait a second.

These valvetronic engine's has a separete brake vacuum pump, does it really "vacuum" the air into the intake and are you sure it doesn't damage the vacuum pump?
LOL...that puts a wrench into things.

You are right, we cannot use the brake boost line on the N62 because of the stand alone pump. I could not find anyone who has done their own induction method SeaFoam on an N62 motor (645/650/545/550/etc...) Everyone I found seems to have had it done by a shop and they tap into a fuel rail.

I'll go out and see if I can find another line into the manifold we can use.

·
Ducati fills my BMW's gap
415 Posts
LOL...that puts a wrench into things.

You are right, we cannot use the brake boost line on the N62 because of the stand alone pump. I could not find anyone who has done their own induction method SeaFoam on an N62 motor (645/650/545/550/etc...) Everyone I found seems to have had it done by a shop and they tap into a fuel rail.

I'll go out and see if I can find another line into the manifold we can use.
I did BG44 induction cleaner. I took off the air hose of the intake manifold and had my wife rev-up the RPMs while I was spraying it directly in to the butterfly of the intake. The car will stall if you don't rev it up. Hope this helps.
PS: the BG44 was in an aerosol can, but I'm sure ya'll can figure out the way to deliver Seafoam in to the intake manifold.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
They make a spray version of seafoam.

Did you pull a small hose or the entire air intake elbow that comes from the air filter?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wonder if there is a big difference if you pour the entire can into the tank versus using partical thru the intake?
Petros, did you notice a difference after using Seafoam on our 6? Also was there a lot of smoke?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
had CEL light pop on my 04 645 and a rough cold start, took it in bmw said $3300. i did the seafoam vaccuum line method 4 months ago and everything has been running great since. $7.99 left enough money to get new wheels :)
Could you kindly let us know how you did the treatment on the 6 series? What line did you use and how much of the bottle? A lot of smoke?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer App

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.