BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Just a kid having fun...
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to taking care of the outside of my bimmer. I have a few questions regarding applying a wax vs. sealent....

1) What is the difference?

2) It's my understanding (i could be wrong) that the sealent appears to last longer and "protect" a bit more.
-So why wax

3) Is one harder to apply than the other?

4) how often should one need to apply both ?

5) anything important I should know?

6) I have been told to only use 100% carnuba wax

7) does one produce more "shine" is it really noticable (opinion question)

I appreciate any help (sorry for writing so much)

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
saladiro, I directed you here so you could search/read, not ask the questions again. They have all been asked and answered before. They are already in print right in front of you. Why wait for the answers, it could take a while. Do some reading.

dj

·
Paint Correction Guy!!!!
190 Posts
Hi all,

I am new to taking care of the outside of my bimmer. I have a few questions regarding applying a wax vs. sealent....

1) What is the difference? synthetic properties in sealants

2) It's my understanding (i could be wrong) that the sealent appears to last longer and "protect" a bit more.
-So why wax - sealants tend to be more reflective, while waxes are more "glossy"

3) Is one harder to apply than the other? almost all sealants are easy on and off, some waxes are stubborn to remove

4) how often should one need to apply both ? sealant - every 4 months, waxes - monthly

5) anything important I should know? live for today, not tomorrow...

6) I have been told to only use 100% carnuba wax - no wax is 100%, it would be hard as a rock

7) does one produce more "shine" is it really noticable (opinion question) - beauty is in the eye of the beholder, what I think looks better may not be what you think looks better

I appreciate any help (sorry for writing so much)
check out what I put in red above. blackfire wet diamond is my sealant of choice, and p21s 100% carnuba paste is my go to paste wax

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
check out what I put in red above. blackfire wet diamond is my sealant of choice, and p21s 100% carnuba paste is my go to paste wax
:rofl:I especially like the answer to #5. Good answers all around. :D

One more thing for the OP. IF you are going to mix the use of sealant and wax, seal first and wax last. Sealant will not adhere to a waxed surface so next time you detail you have to remove the wax before you use the sealant again.
I use Zaino products inside and out, not wax.

http://www.zainostore.com/

dj

·
Just a kid having fun...
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:rofl:I especially like the answer to #5. Good answers all around. :D

One more thing for the OP. IF you are going to mix the use of sealant and wax, seal first and wax last. Sealant will not adhere to a waxed surface so next time you detail you have to remove the wax before you use the sealant again.
I use Zaino products inside and out, not wax.

http://www.zainostore.com/

dj
hmmm, thank you, my car is only a month old, I have the feeling that waiting till like Oct, the wax will all fall off? (actually I really don't know what a brand new car comes with)

should I just do the "remove wax process" just to be safe? (I think I am going the sealent way)

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
hmmm, thank you, my car is only a month old, I have the feeling that waiting till like Oct, the wax will all fall off? (actually I really don't know what a brand new car comes with)

should I just do the "remove wax process" just to be safe? (I think I am going the sealent way)
This is from the Zaino web site. Whichever product you use, start with this procedure. The Z-18 and Z-7 refer to Zaino products but use any clay bar and Auto wash liquid you choose and only do the Dawn dish washing stuff the first time as noted.

For the ultimate in show car appearance, it is vital to get the cleanest and smoothest finish possible. We recommend washing the car with original blue Liquid Dawn only for this initial cleaning. Once you have your vehicle completely washed, follow up with the Z-18 Claybar, to remove any surface contamination. Follow up the Z-18 Claybar with a thorough wash using our Z-7 Show Car Wash.

dj

·
Paint Correction Guy!!!!
190 Posts
no buy this one
http://www.detailedimage.com/Blackfire-M32/Wet-Diamond-P205/16-oz-S1/

LOL, same product as in your link, but you should support the site sponsors!!!

new cars typically have a glaze and a wax on them unless you opted for the "sealant" package at time of purchase.

if you didnt, you should wash with dawn dish soap twice. Then do an alcohol wipe down with IPA/water mixed 50/50. then apply your sealant wax. next day apply a carnuba wax if you want, or another sealant layer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.