BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

HACK, doeboy and I also caught the first 2 rounds of Formula BMW at Laguna Seca.

HACK should have some great shots.

Race 1 - Richard Philippe from France was on pole, but went off on the Andretti hairpin after the start - Kevin Lacroix of Canada went on to get the race win.

Race 2 - Richard did not make the same mistake and led start to finish for the win with Maxime Soulet of Germany getting 2nd and LaCroix getting 3rd.

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Gelles Racing press release

Two podiums in Formula BMW USA

Soulet leads Gelles Racing at Laguna Seca

Front Royal, May 1st, 2005. - The 2005 Formula BMW USA championship got underway this weekend in California with the first two rounds at Laguna Seca and Maxime Soulet from Belgium set the pace for Gelles Racing scoring two podiums. He earned a deserving third place Saturday after starting from inside the third row and was one position better on Sunday with a second place after starting from outside the front row. Maxime and Gelles Racing lay second in the driver and team championships, a mere five points away from first. Meanwhile, Justin Moon had a busy weekend with only a sixth place to earn him some points, but he deserves to be the hard charger of this double header posting the 2nd fastest time in the race.

"Maxime showed how professional he is, said team owner Bob Gelles. The young Belgium had scheduling problems arriving to California and could only do four laps on Friday morning. He managed fifth in the qualifying session and fought hard to gain third place in the race while still learning the challenging circuit. Then he got into high gear and clinched a first row start for the second race, little over 0.2 second from pole position. He also finished second in that race and now lies second in the Formula BMW USA championship. Justin was in the middle of the action all weekend: he was hit by another car on the first corner of the first lap, had to come back from last place with no front wing and finished in eleventh place. Great job. In the second race, Justin started from the second row after a very strong qualifying in which he held the fastest time up until the last lap of the session. During the race he was again knocked off track by another car while fighting for position, finally finishing in sixth, posting the 2nd fastest lap in the race. Maxime is a seasoned driver while Justin just turned 17 this week, but both will be in the heat of the championship for the next remaining twelve rounds. I am proud that we could accomplish such a strong finish for our sponsors."

Saturday race: Soulet third

Maxime Soulet made the best out of his first race on American ground. Avoiding contact in the first corner at the start, he fiddled his way into third place after pulling away from Zartarian, Davison and Wickens finishing 1.6 seconds from second place. On the podium, he said: "I know I can do better and the Gelles team will work in that direction. My goal is to win races and I know we will reach our goal this year, its a team effort."

When Richard Philippe spun his car at the first corner and hit Justin Moon who was trying to avoid contact, Moon would have to let the field by and restarted from last place without his front wing. "It was such a pity since I had a great start improving 7 positions from the lights out to turn 1. On a 15-lap race, you can't pit for another wing, so I decided to push the car to its limits and save the day, added the Californian. I drove to 11th place, one position short of a point, but I'm still satisfied with that comeback."

Sunday race: Gelles cars, 2nd and 6th

Gelles put two cars in the top six on Sunday. Maxime Soulet started and finished in second place while Justin Moon played cat and mouse with Wickens and Davison to finish in sixth place, one second from fourth. "The guys were very good, concluded Bob Gelles, keeping pace with the field and giving us the best positioning among the other teams. We'll be ready in Mid-Ohio."

Next rounds in Mid-Ohio

The second double header will take place in three weeks at Mid-Ohio (May 20-22), the famous Lexington facility. Gelles Racing will again enter four cars in the Formula BMW USA 2005 Championship. The team is sponsored by Western Union, Care Centric, USA TODAY, Herbert & LeBleu and BMW of Sterling.

For more information, Gelles Racing may be contacted at (703) 926-2474 or by email [email protected].

For information: Michel Poirier-Defoy, press officer, [email protected]

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Left to Right: Maxime Soulet, Richard Philippe, Kevin LaCroix

1 - 5 of 5 Posts