BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The anchor bolt for the passenger seat belt fell out on my '99 328i. I figured it would be no problem to reinstall the bolt, but since it installs from the inside I cannot get enough clearance due to the plastic molding that houses the electronic seat controls. Either I will have to remove the molding or remove the seat, but I don't know which. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
322 Posts
rainman said:
The anchor bolt for the passenger seat belt fell out on my '99 328i. I figured it would be no problem to reinstall the bolt, but since it installs from the inside I cannot get enough clearance due to the plastic molding that houses the electronic seat controls. Either I will have to remove the molding or remove the seat, but I don't know which. Can anyone help?
Which part are you referring to in the following picture?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AV53&mospid=47725&btnr=72_0330&hg=72&fg=05

If it's item #14, then you should be able to access it with a ratchet, socket, and possibly an extension, from the rear seat area w/o removing anything. It might help to move the seat all the way forward.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it's item #14. I have looked at this extensively and thought that removing the side molding would allow me the room necessary to reinstall the bolt (I can't fit the bolt in between the molding and the bracket to where the bolt inserts). But removing that molding looks to be rather difficult. I know this sounds crazy. Am I overlooking something or overcomplicating something?

·
Registered
322 Posts
rainman said:
Yes, it's item #14. I have looked at this extensively and thought that removing the side molding would allow me the room necessary to reinstall the bolt (I can't fit the bolt in between the molding and the bracket to where the bolt inserts). But removing that molding looks to be rather difficult. I know this sounds crazy. Am I overlooking something or overcomplicating something?
I think you access the bolt from the seat side, not the door side. Look at section 3.3 of the doc below. The instructions are for a Shroth harness install, however they don't talk about removing anything to access this bolt when working on an E46.
http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/docs/BMW_Instructions.PDF

EDIT: I would be concerned with finding out why the bolt came out in the first place...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. The link shed light on what I need to do. As to why it happened I do not know. I bought the car used but it was in great condition when I bought it. And there were no warning signs. I didn't even know it could happen. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts