Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fiddling yet again with my seat position, trying to get that "just right" feeling. For awhile, I had moved the seat a hair closer in, and this felt pretty good, because I could lay on the gas a bit better. In this position, when I depressed the clutch, it would travel to the limit of it's travel. But then, today, I slid the seat back, and discovered that this shortened the clutch travel, and made for slightly faster shifts. But now the gas feels a bit too far away. I do feel more stretched out and comfortable though. another benefit is that since the clutch doesn't travel way down to the floor, I'm not getting that damn clutch shudder as much.

So what do people here prefer? What do you think is the optimal position? Or is this just to much OCD?

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
for optimal control, the clutch should be fully depressed when your leg is almost straight and you should be able to rest your wrists on the top of the steering wheel without letting your back leave the seat :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
I can relate to this. After over a year, I still tweak my seat position every now and then. I've got 2 settings stored in the seat memory. My problem is my right knee keeps bumping against the steering column. I'm short so I can't move the seat back much further or lower. However, since the clutch engages so high, I have been able to move back a little. I noticed this problem the day I picked up my car, when I banged my knee into the steering column on my first stop. Funny I didn't experience this when I took my test drives. :dunno:

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
At the track they teach us that you should sit as upright as possible. With your arme straight out your wrists should rest on the top of the steering wheel.

Move your seat forward till you can put your feet around the pedals and they can sit flat on the floor.

Depending upon your body you may not be able to do all of these things without some compromise.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
All good advice. Also, your leg should be bent when on the brake not straight. This way you are using the large muscles in your leg. You want to be able to activate the antilock without difficulty. I move things around some too from time to time.

·
Golf Fanatic
26 Posts
At the track they teach us that you should sit as upright as possible. With your arme straight out your wrists should rest on the top of the steering wheel.
in-d,

I've heard the same thing -- though not at the track, still waiting for my chance to go :) ---

A friend of mine has an S4 Avant and his steering wheel position is LOW -- so low that it seems he needs to squeeze into his seat.

I've also heard that you're arms should be loose and not straightened out -- meaning your seat should be rather close to the console. I suppose that's what you meant about your WRISTS having to rest on the wheel. This way, you can take a full 90 deg corner without tweaking your upper body and having to let go of the wheel and re-adjust your grip.

I have my steering wheel a bit on the lowerside, but the downside is that I can't fully read the gauges -- top of speedo and tach gets cut off.... oh well :rolleyes:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Another problem I worry about is sitting too close to the airbag and, again, since I'm kind of short, I end up having to recline the seat so that my legs can reach the pedals while at the same time, maintaining a good distance from the steering wheel. I've heard you're supposed to have at least 8 inches between your chest and the steering wheel.

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
geomax said:
But then, today, I slid the seat back, and discovered that this shortened the clutch travel, and made for slightly faster shifts. But now the gas feels a bit too far away. I do feel more stretched out and comfortable though. another benefit is that since the clutch doesn't travel way down to the floor, I'm not getting that damn clutch shudder as much.
You need to raise your clutch stop.
See my DYI at http://www.bmw330ci.com/DIY_Files.htm :angel:

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Seat Position

geomax said:
Or am I missing something?
The clutch is not adjustable, therefore, there is no reason for the switch to be adjustable. This is a hack on a well known and stuborn BMW shortcoming. To give you an idea of how stuborn BMW is on this, they changed the switch on the 2002 models for no apparent reason other than prevent people from hacking it. If they are going to spend time and money on changing something, make the stop adjustable. Geez. It not like the everybody-hates-it-but-Jaguar-thinks-it's-cool J-patterned gate or the floor mounted ignition key on a Saab. It's just a clutch bump stop, for crying out loud. Some of us just don't like the long clutch travel. You hear BMW? :mad:

·
10,856 Posts
I think i was the first person to notice the new switch way back when on .org. You can bet people thought I was an idiot when I couldn't find the damned plungers.

Even though you can't disable the switch, you can still eliminate a littl eover an inch of clutch travel. This makes a HUGE difference. I'm VERY pleased with my UUC clutch stop.

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
pps-325xit said:
Another problem I worry about is sitting too close to the airbag and, again, since I'm kind of short, I end up having to recline the seat so that my legs can reach the pedals while at the same time, maintaining a good distance from the steering wheel. I've heard you're supposed to have at least 8 inches between your chest and the steering wheel.
I am short as well (5' 5") and adding a clutch stop (I got the UUC Big Boy) really helped. $20 for the part, 5 minutes to install. :thumbup:

It took up about an inch or so of extra travel and makes shifting feel much better. I have one of the newer clutch switches so I can't hack it. I have my stop set at exactly the point where the start switch gets tripped. Ideally I'd set it another 3/4" higher but this works well at its current setting.

T

·
0 Posts
Nate and in_d_haus are both correct about seating position. This is one thing that, while people may have preferences, there actually is a CORRECT answer and that is it.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
in_d_haus said:

Move your seat forward till you can put your feet around the pedals and they can sit flat on the floor.

Depending upon your body you may not be able to do all of these things without some compromise.
When you mean "flat on the floor" do you mean the floorboard behind the peddles, or the actualy floor itself??

If you put in a clutch stop - do you have to adjust the switch for the ignition as well??

·
Registered
13 Posts
in_d_haus said:

Does this has to be with the back pressed on the seatback or loselly? :confused: Thanks

·
ex-M couper
1,744 Posts
JetBlack330i said:
Some of us just don't like the long clutch travel. You hear BMW? :mad:
So don't press the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. There's no law saying you MUST push the pedal as far as it will go. I rarely shove the clutch pedal all the way down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts