BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seat recover or anyone know where to get nice fitting seat covers from for the stock normal seats (non sport)?

cheers

·
Sevee
13 Posts
I purchased a set from these guys and they fit great and were more comfortable than stock. Easy to install yourself just make sure not to turn ignition on while seat is removed or disconnected from electrical connections. I made that mistake and had to have the airbag light reset.

Good Luck,
Jon

link.. https://www.bavauto.com/

·
Rdster Justin
54 Posts
LeatherSeats.com made mine. Search for their YouTube videos. You can choose many grades of leather, all better than stock.
Did you install yourself? If so, was it difficult? Picture of the finished product?

I have a rip in the driver's seat bottom (the bottom of the seat, not of the driver). Quote of $400 to replace just the seat bottom. That makes the Leatherseats.com price for complete new skins look attractive.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Those are my black sport seats in the YouTube video.
The job was not really bad, but there are lots of parts to the seats. Take pictures of everything as you disassemble them.
Here they are several years later.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
If you just need to replace the bottom cushion, they're interchangeable from left to right, according to realoem.com. Find yourself a junkyard passenger seat of the correct color and strip off the skin and cushion for your damaged seat. I did this on my E34 -- worked like a charm.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Leatherseats.com did mine. If you go to youtube and search for leatherseats.com you will see a video of mine being re-worked. They did an excellent job!

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Yes, these are my seats. I removed the seats and drove them to OKC. I also took the door panels apart and had the leather inserts recovered so they would match. I also had the brake and shift boots made. I picked the seats up and reinstalled them. As a sidebar, I also removed the console and replaced all of the wood. This was a big pain in the ass but it looks great and I am glad I did it.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
After the fact, I checked with BMW and the foam for both the sport and non-sport seats is still available. They are in Germany but available.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I purchased a set of tiger looking covers for my granddaughters 98. Nothing fancy, around $150 if I recall, fit like gloves, have held up incredibly well. Seat Covers Online I think, I can confirm Monday if you are interested.

Having owned and installed various covers in various materials (sheepskin, Marathon's corduroy, neoprene, etc.) at various price points, I can positively state that installation is the key. For example, if I'm covering old worn seats, I always spray the covers and seat faces with a light covering of 3M spray adhesive before pulling the covers as tightly as possible. I also fashion and use additional holding straps, even when installing the cover on a brand new car.

Finally, realize two things 1. The factory covers are more often than not just covers expertly cut and installed and 2. Nearly every town has a backwater trim shop (backwater meaning in a garage or barn behind the guy's house, no marketing, not fancy, known only to local car guys) that will recover a couple of buckets for less than you think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts