BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had the 2013 335i Sport edition for 8 months now....on Saturday decided to take a long drive through the fall leaves...first really long drive with my wife since I bought the car.

When we got home, she had killer pain in her hips....so bad she couldn't sleep. She went to a massage therapist who suggested the seats were not supportive enough or, too hard (she's used to driving a Lexus mini-SUV with much software seats).

I love the car....but would have a problem keeping it if hurt my wife to ride in it.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, yeah....there's many power options we haven't played with yet...I'm planning on taking it back to dealer and getting their assistance, as well,,,and was looking for some other perhaps less obvious, thoughts .

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have never heard of such a thing. The seats in my car adjust so many ways, it would be impossible not to find a comfortable position. I think she wants you to get rid of the sports car and get a Prius!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Pick up one if those back support thingys you can place on the car seat from some hardware store or even walmart.

The more expensive ones even give full back massages.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Drop a pillow on the seat and call it good.
The problem with that solution is that the seat occupancy pad relies upon a combination of WEIGHT and CAPACITANCE to determine that an adult is in the seat, whereas otherwise weight alone will make it think there is a child in the seat (sufficient weight, not proper capacitance) and the airbag is disabled, adding risk to your wife's safety.

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
Not something everyone would like to do but a standard seat for her not a sport seat is much more comfortable. I have owned multiple M3's and they were too painful. Newer E90 sports seats are much nicer but seems like it isn't for everyone. They bolt in the harnesses connect so when you decide to get rid of the car you can put the sport seat back in.
There really isn't anything else that will work I have been down this road before...

·
Registered
503 Posts
The problem with that solution is that the seat occupancy pad relies upon a combination of WEIGHT and CAPACITANCE to determine that an adult is in the seat, whereas otherwise weight alone will make it think there is a child in the seat (sufficient weight, not proper capacitance) and the airbag is disabled, adding risk to your wife's safety.
Erm... you sure about that? I don't think a simple pillow is enough to do all that. Cant see a pillow changing the fact that there is weight and capacitance in the seat. Have you tried it?

I mean there are sensors in the floor and her feet touching the floor will let your car know there is a person there. It's just a pillow, not much difference from someone with a fat ass sitting in your passenger seat.. plus there are other options listed in the posts above and of course I could be completely wrong.

You should try the pillow trick though to see if it works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would hate to be an elderly person wearing diapers in that situation...

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have never been able to get the driver's sport seat comfortable for a long ride in my 2008 e92. I think BMW cheaped out in the e90 series and thinned out the padding. My e46 seats fit like a glove for 9 years. The sport seats are pretty narrow, unless you are Bruno. I end up sitting in part on the bolsters, not just in the flat middle part of the seat. The side bolsters on the seat bottoms may end up pressing on your wife's femur and driving them into her hip sockets. I went to a local upholstery shop and had them add padding to the bolsters a couple of years ago because the padding had compressed to the point where I could feel the seat frame pressing up through the front of the side bolsters on the seat bottom. The additional padding made my hips hurt on longer ride, but covered up the frame better. I have ridden the passenger seat lately a few times and it feels comfortable at least for a short ride.

I don't think there' much you can do about hip pain cause by the sport seats. The side bolsters on the seat bottom don't move, unlike the side bolsters on the seat back, which move in and out. The Lexus is made for comfort and is probably a lot wider, more deeply padded with a softer feel. It's a different seat made for a plush ride. The BMW sport seat is to hold you in place at high speed on the turns. Comfort is secondary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took the car on a 600 mile road trip in May and thought the seats fine...especially the front slide out support for the thighs.

My wife is not the "automotive sport" type (did someone say princess?")...however, much as I like the car, if she can't be comfortable on an hours drive...I will have to trade it (there is a nice looking 2014 S4 locally available...).

I bought the car needing a sedan in addition to my roadster for when we have visitors or one of the kids comes home for a visit....but absolutely need/want something I can also take to the track for a weekend's amusement.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have never heard of this. Is this something new? Can you link to it in the manual? I would think this type of thing would require educating the owner. My wife is 4' 10" and uses a pillow a lot.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Erm... you sure about that? I don't think a simple pillow is enough to do all that. Cant see a pillow changing the fact that there is weight and capacitance in the seat. Have you tried it?
I have never heard of this. Is this something new? Can you link to it in the manual? I would think this type of thing would require educating the owner. My wife is 4' 10" and uses a pillow a lot.
Absolutely certainty about the BMW seat sensors dependent upon both Weight and Capacitance.

And incidental validation: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9049201&postcount=4

This quotes the original report: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9800471&postcount=6
The full thread reports the successful fix to the issue of the OP, caused by the use of capacitance to sense seat occupancy, "My wife needs a orthopedic cushion in our F30 passenger seat, which defeats the airbag": http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9800056#post9800056

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Reading the above links, I revise my comment.
Drop a metal pillow on the seat.
Or at least put a piece of tin foil in the pillow.
I feel a little like I wasn't warned of a potential safety issue.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Have had the 2013 335i Sport edition for 8 months now....on Saturday decided to take a long drive through the fall leaves...first really long drive with my wife since I bought the car.

When we got home, she had killer pain in her hips....so bad she couldn't sleep. She went to a massage therapist who suggested the seats were not supportive enough or, too hard (she's used to driving a Lexus mini-SUV with much software seats).

I love the car....but would have a problem keeping it if hurt my wife to ride in it.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas?
Do you have sport suspension with OEM shocks and RFT?

I had similar problem - wife refused to ride with me.
Replaced shocks to Koni FSD - this fixed about 50% of the problem and when replaced RFT to Michelin PSS ride is very comfortable and she never complained since.
Ride is smooth and handling was not degraded.

And PSS cost about 30% less than RFT so if someone is paranoid driving w/o spare - for the money you save, you can buy spare set.
Since that option takes trunk space - I carry tire fix kit for $7, small compressor for $29 and jack for another $20 something and all fit in trunk cavity. And if things get really bad - AAA (or insurance comp) will save you.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I took the car on a 600 mile road trip in May and thought the seats fine...especially the front slide out support for the thighs.

My wife is not the "automotive sport" type (did someone say princess?")...however, much as I like the car, if she can't be comfortable on an hours drive...I will have to trade it (there is a nice looking 2014 S4 locally available...).

I bought the car needing a sedan in addition to my roadster for when we have visitors or one of the kids comes home for a visit....but absolutely need/want something I can also take to the track for a weekend's amusement.
I'm assuming the car, not the wife. :D
good luck

1 - 20 of 28 Posts