BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,

so i have an older generation X1 and i'm contemplating the new one-- i like that its a bit bigger. yet when i road in it the front drivers seat feels small and weird. i was looking for some feedback from those who have it how they like the front seat on longer drives? is it comfortable? i love the seat on my current X1 and i am very cozy in it while driving.

i thought about the X3 however BMW does weird things with color and options and the X1 has the color and options i want...minus car play.

thoughts?

thanks!

·
Registered
609 Posts
hey,

so i have an older generation X1 and i'm contemplating the new one-- i like that its a bit bigger. yet when i road in it the front drivers seat feels small and weird. i was looking for some feedback from those who have it how they like the front seat on longer drives? is it comfortable? i love the seat on my current X1 and i am very cozy in it while driving.

i thought about the X3 however BMW does weird things with color and options and the X1 has the color and options i want...minus car play.

thoughts?

thanks!
I have a 2014 X1 with the sport seats which give very good support and comfort and also have a 2017 X1 on order, also with the sport seats. In 2016 sport eats were only available as part of the MSport package, but in 2017 are a separate $400 option. I am certain that the X1 sport seats are a big improvement over the standard seats.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the sport seats in a 2016 X1. In Canada, they come with the Premium Package. I find them very hard on drives of over 2 hours. They hurt my tailbone. And I don't even go to the grocery store without having to take my wallet out of my back pocket.

I didn't get the lumbar support option, and I find the seat back does not provide any support at the bottom portion. I have to put a towel or something there to keep my back in alignment. Perhaps they are designed to leave room for big butts. But in that case the rest of the seat is probably too small. With the side bolsters all the way out, they barely fit me, and I'm not that stocky.

Previous X1s sold best with women, so maybe the seat is designed more for women.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If CarPlay and spaciousness is a must, take a glance at one of the new X5's. Drove the F15 recently with the Multi-contour seats and it was amazing. My E70 also has the multi-contour and they're also amazing.

I know that the 2017 F15's come with Apple CarPlay as an option as well as things you may be looking for.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have the sport seats in a 2016 X1. In Canada, they come with the Premium Package. I find them very hard on drives of over 2 hours. They hurt my tailbone. And I don't even go to the grocery store without having to take my wallet out of my back pocket.

I didn't get the lumbar support option, and I find the seat back does not provide any support at the bottom portion. I have to put a towel or something there to keep my back in alignment. Perhaps they are designed to leave room for big butts. But in that case the rest of the seat is probably too small. With the side bolsters all the way out, they barely fit me, and I'm not that stocky.

Previous X1s sold best with women, so maybe the seat is designed more for women.
I have had 5 cars with sport seats and they all offered adjustable lumbar support. I do see that in Canada lumbar support is an option, but in the U.S. it is not. I assume and hope that in U.S. the sport seats have lumbar support as a standard feature.

·
Registered
47 Posts
2016 M sport, just drove back roads for 380 miles yesterday and I have no complaints today. Like any seat, I adjust them from time to time to change the "pressure points". 6' 190lb. My wife really likes the seats too. Good thing, it's her car!

I found the standard seats to be a bit blah on the test drives, but those were only a few miles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just completed two fairly significant long-haul road trips in my 2016 X1 (NYC to/from Pittsburgh, NYC to/from Provincetown) with the standard seats and I don't have a single complaint. In fact, I don't recall ever making any mental notes about the seat either good or bad... which probably means that is a good thing! I honestly cannot fathom all of the hate for the standard seats; I find them just as comfortable as the seats in my former E92. Full disclosure: I'm 5'7" 180 lbs - arguably right in the middle in terms of American body size. Perhaps seat comfort is an issue mostly for individuals on the taller/heavier end of the size spectrum?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just got into a new lease -2016 x1 from 2014 x1. loved my old x1, fun to drive and comfortable. this new x1 I have to agree with most here in terms of the seats---- not the best, certainly not like my previous x1. I have only had the car a month so I am giving it more time. i am 5'8 185 not big at all for a car seat. time will tell if i keep this or transfer lease.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm 5'7" and 135 pounds. The seat is fine with me, but I also have the lumbar support. If I didn't have the lumbar support it would probably be pretty unconformable on long drives. The seat offers plenty of adjustment so I could get it into a very comfortable position. If I was taller or wider, I would probably have bought a different car.

I would have gotten the sport seats, except in sensatec they only come in black. I wanted beige sensatec. Would the sport seats and leather have been worth $1,900? Not to me...

·
Registered
323 Posts
5'11 and 185 and the standard seats (with lumbar support) have been just fine for long trips.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a 2014 X1 with standard seats and they are fine for me, but I did spend time adjusting the lumbar, etc., to make it feel right. I just today ordered a 2017 X1 and all the talk about seats had me worried, so I ordered the sport seats. I'm hoping with all the adjustment features, I'll be able to find a comfortable setting.

·
Registered
112 Posts
6'1" 155 standard seats with lumbar, 2016 X1. Drove from NJ- NC and back with no issues. My wife who is 5'0 does complain they are too stiff for her liking on long trips. So to each its own I guess.

·
Registered
128 Posts
We have the M-Sport version with the sport seats. I do most of the driving. Once fitted, the sport seats offer a real snug experience, rigid but comfortable. Our longest trip has only been about 4 hours.

I think the only thing I notice is that the left leg bolster is not aligned with the foot rest, so your thigh may rest a little on top of that bolster if you are resting your foot there.

I'm 5'11" and 180lbs.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My experience is with a 2016 x1 Msport loaner over a 65 mile round trip commute. The x1 sport seats are different than the standard BMW sport seats, just like the standard seats are different too. The sport seats are very hard, and I found that the adjustable thigh support hit me in a very bad place where I could feel the gap in the seats at all times. I found them very uncomfortable, but admittedly, I did not spend a week trying to find the best position either. My point is, you can't just assume that these sport seats will be great because the ones in the e84 were great- they are very different, even if they have the same features. I'm 6 ft. 1 in, but I have about a 31" to 32" inseam- most of my height is in my torso. They may just not fit me. But I'd want to sit in them myself before I ordered them.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The F48 Msport seats are nowhere near as comfortable or supportive as the sport seats in other models. I am comparing to my F32 Msport as well as others I have owned.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am assuming the F48 are MINI's take on sport seats as opposed to BMW's. Despite the former is the parent company. I noticed in general the F48's interior doesn't share the design theme of its BMW siblings. From the floating centre stack vs waterfall style to the lowered central "tunnel" that results in the skyscraper shifter. Nothing wrong. Just different.
FWIW this makes for an efficient interior packaging.

·
Registered
68 Posts
SEATS are a joke. dumped this FWD POS for a Honda Accord Touring. real leather, V6, nav, front/rear heated seats, reliability and $30k :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello!
I also have a BMW X 1 with standard seats and really want to change for sport seats. You can find on sale on Ebay, they sell sometimes

1 - 20 of 45 Posts