Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having gone overseas last month, I have been taken aback as to the amount of Airbus planes being used by the various airlines. I think Boing is being overtaken by Airbus in an accelerated rate.

So, to the Seattle (and Boeing) members (or anyone), do you guys think that the Sonic Cruiser can be the next savior for Boeing in the same way the 747 has been? Me personally think that Boeing has to think outside the envelope in order to overtake Airbus again. I guess what I fear is that Boeing may not have the guts it once used to have.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
I don't know whether it will be superior to A380 or not. But from what I heard and read the A380 will be a great machine.

BTW, A380 can be seen here

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Airbus is subsidized by European governments. Even with those subsidies their costs are still higher than Boeing. Boeing long term can win. Factor in 9/11, all the wacky airport rules, stock market collapses, and general upheaval in business and private travel, it's not a great environment to build planes in. Short term is bearish.

I guess what I fear is that Boeing may not have the guts it once used to have.
Capitalism offers no guarantees but it's still beating the EU subsidies. Either Boeing survives or it doesn't. It comes down to Boeing employees making a desirable product.

Only our government officials are gutless, America and its people are most resourceful. It's time for our government to get the hell out and stay out of the way.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
just a couple of cents here...

I think they (AB) has a market for their A380F or freight airship but when it comes to carrying people... I prefer Boeing for the simple fact that (from my understanding) the pilot has more control over the attitude of the plane than they do in an AB. I trust an older seasoned pilot over a computer any day.

Ship cargo by volume, people by speed but above all give the pilot the control, after all you have to hope he doesn’t want to die anymore than the 300 people he is carrying.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alex Baumann said:
I don't know whether it will be superior to A380 or not. But from what I heard and read the A380 will be a great machine.

BTW, A380 can be seen here
Alex, I believe that Boeing no longer plans to compete with Airbus in terms of how big the airplane can be. That is, it basically conceded that Airbus can have the big elephant.

I read somewhere that the Sonic Cruiser is just Boeing bs talk to hide from the fact that it cannot compete beyond the 747. As you all know, the 747 was a real capitalist machine, devised by Boeing without any government subsidies or encouragement. It was a major gamble by Boeing then, with the only promise that Pan Am may purchase the planes.

I don't think Boeing can afford to go it alone with the Sonic Cruiser without federal help. As ObD stated, Airbus is able to achieve today's status with help from European governments.

From my perspective, if Boing is able to build the Sonic Cruiser, then it will be another leap forward for American industry that Europe can't match for awhile. As we all know, the Concorde is a nice plane but a failure in the market place.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Crapola

Unfortunately much of the sonic cruiser technology doesn't exist yet. Boeing screwed itself by not totally redesigning the 737s when they had the chance and it's not until this past year have they even introduced some of the manufacturing technology Airbus has had for several years. 2003 is supposed to be the worst year for Boeing since 1972 when they had the famous "Last one out please turn off the lights" sign. I will say that I have heard that some airports may not even be able to support the Airbus Jumbo jet, which would be hilarious.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Must have missed this thread...
anyway, I don't think its gonna happen anytime soon, their stock value is the lowest its ever been, they have no [email protected] money, the workforce has been slashed (although the Boeing Design Center in Russia is hiring like crazy, 1/2 the wages of what an American engineer makes) and no airlines is financially ready to step forward to be the launch customer.

Personally, I will most likely lose my job next year after 18 years of service. I see it as an opportunity to start yet another career (I've been a Tool maker, Machinist, NC Programmer, Engineering Applications Analyst) and I plan to attend school full time while my wife returns to work full time (shes at 80% now) Thankfully, we've paid cash for everything we own, so the only debt we have is our house. I'm going to go into Radiology, a business that will always have a need for employees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts