BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
...I feel certain that once we get out of the Welt, get the snows installed and finally arrive at our Pension, she'll be having a great time.
I'm sure it's something you've already considered-- and I realize you mention the mounting expenses-- but I'm sure it goes without saying that paying the extra to get the car delivered with the winter tires on there already sure is convenient and lets you get on your way (to actually enjoying your trip-- which I'm certain you both thoroughly will) just a *tiny* but faster and with a *tiny* bit less stress/hassle.

Only mention it due to your very very funny statement of " My wife has gone to being mildly interested in the whole ED concept to being pretty thoroughly fed up." :)

And, of course, if by some chance there's a lot of snow, even more so, IMHO.

·
Piacere di guidare
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I'm about to find out myself when we leave tonight. My wife has gone to being mildly interested in the whole ED concept to being pretty thoroughly fed up. She is expecting the worst. I guess it's my fault because I've been obsessing on this whole adventure for the past 6 months. I've made the mistake of keeping her informed of all progress, or lack thereof, from Day One.
Hilarious! You've clearly crossed the Too Much Information Threshold with your spouse. It seems to stem from the general disdain of "boys and their toys", and is easily exceeded by even an experienced marital partner. They see the passion, intensity, anticipation and involvement in our eyes and when they realize it's not for them, but rather some inanimate object, their eyes narrow and the whole ED trip starts to get viewed with the same suspicion that would accompany the announcement of a foray to a strip club with some old college buddies.

Hoping that when the actual trip starts, things will settle into place. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hilarious! You've clearly crossed the Too Much Information Threshold with your spouse. It seems to stem from the general disdain of "boys and their toys", and is easily exceeded by even an experienced marital partner. They see the passion, intensity, anticipation and involvement in our eyes and when they realize it's not for them, but rather some inanimate object, their eyes narrow and the whole ED trip starts to get viewed with the same suspicion that would accompany the announcement of a foray to a strip club with some old college buddies.

Hoping that when the actual trip starts, things will settle into place. Keep us informed.
Ask her to name the car -- that worked for me once. :)

·
Driving 'en Plein Air'
2,274 Posts
Just revisited your report David... As great as I remember it and it was fun to revisit some of our favorite spots through your great pictures :thumbup:

·
Piacere di guidare
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Holy Thread Revival! Hi Stuart - just saw a couple of days ago that you're going again in July. We're planning a late-May to mid-June trip. Which means I've got to decide between a Z4 and a 4 Series. And soon. Wish we were overlapping a bit, but maybe we'll leave something for you at the Miralago in Cernobbio.

·
Driving 'en Plein Air'
2,274 Posts
Holy Thread Revival! Hi Stuart - just saw a couple of days ago that you're going again in July. We're planning a late-May to mid-June trip. Which means I've got to decide between a Z4 and a 4 Series. And soon. Wish we were overlapping a bit, but maybe we'll leave something for you at the Miralago in Cernobbio.
Hey David... Sorry our trips are not coinciding... Would have loved to meet up with you and Karen. Decided to stay in Brunate this time rather than in Cernobbio and have found a B&B that seems super inviting. I'll be posting my itinerary soon after I get confirmation from BMW on my pick-up date.

Z4 or 4 Series? Is the 4 going to be a convertible?

·
Piacere di guidare
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
I'm potentially willing to give up on a drop-top this time around because the car in the pic below will be far enough along in the restoration process to be driveable in a year or so. It's a cabriolet, meaning it has a soft top as well as a removable hard top. A bottle of Barolo to anyone here who isn't already in the know (I'm looking at you, Skywalkerbeth), who can correctly identify the make and model.

Attachments

·
Driving 'en Plein Air'
2,274 Posts
1962?

·
Piacere di guidare
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
My hat is off in admiration of Jimmit's first-pitch grand slam home run. Kindly state the make in order to formalize your winning entry, and PM me with where you'd like your bottle of wine sent. Most impressive.

Nice effort on the year, Stuart. They built 202 of them between 1959 and 1962. Mine was the 70th, built in the spring of 1960.

·
Driving 'en Plein Air'
2,274 Posts
Can't wait to see her when she's finished ;) Can you imagine driving around Tuscany in that, listening to Domenico Modugno singing Volare on the radio? Perfect!

·
Registered
96 Posts
My hat is off in admiration of Jimmit's first-pitch grand slam home run. Kindly state the make in order to formalize your winning entry, and PM me with where you'd like your bottle of wine sent. Most impressive.

Nice effort on the year, Stuart. They built 202 of them between 1959 and 1962. Mine was the 70th, built in the spring of 1960.
Very jealous of your car! Now that you have quoted the year, I can see it is a series II (Ferrari 250 GT Cabriolet Pininfarina)

I'll trade my winnings for regular updates on how your restoration is going... Hope to see many more behind the scenes photos that are so rare to find. Have you selected a color? There are so many cool colors found of Ferraris of this era. Thinking of ordering from the historical color pallet next time around myself.

best,

John

101 - 113 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.