BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I just recently bought 335i convertible (woohoo!) and wondered if anyone could help answer the following issue regarding locking the center console and glovebox.

- When roof is down, locking the car will automatically lock the center console (so far so good).
- However, if a passer-by then leans into the car and pressed the "unlock all doors" button on the dash then this unlocks everything, including center console which would normally contain ipod/phone etc... :thumbdwn:

This seems like a huge security issue and although its possible to bring roof back up in 25secs, etc... I am wondering if there is a way to disable the dashboard button from unlocking everything? Is this a dealer programming thing?

Many thanks to anyone that can help - prizes will be awarded (maybe!) :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Makes no difference if it is locked with the key or with the thumb on handle via comfort access.

The cars locks fine but then everything can be unlocked by simply pressing the unlock button on the dashboard. This seems to defeat the entire purpose of having a lock on the center console if a stranger can just lean into the car (when roof is down) and unlock everything without a key.

There must be away of disabling it (i hope!)

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I would think someone would need the key fob to unlock the doors and center console (and start the car). My guess is the button won't work if you don't have the fob. I'll have to try this on my E93 tomorrow.
You have me guessing too. Ironically, today I left work with the top of my E93 down and stopped at the Federal Express hanger to pick up a parcel on my way home. I didn't want to bother with putting the top up. When I returned to the car I leaned in from the passenger side to open the center console. It didn't open. That amazed me since I had not even bothered to lock the doors. Upon retry though it did open and it was more to do with where I was initially positioned trying to reach the latch from the passenger side that made the first attempt unsuccessful.

·
Combat Commuter
1,973 Posts
Hi. I just recently bought 335i convertible (woohoo!) and wondered if anyone could help answer the following issue regarding locking the center console and glovebox.

- When roof is down, locking the car will automatically lock the center console (so far so good).
- However, if a passer-by then leans into the car and pressed the "unlock all doors" button on the dash then this unlocks everything, including center console which would normally contain ipod/phone etc... :thumbdwn:

This seems like a huge security issue and although its possible to bring roof back up in 25secs, etc... I am wondering if there is a way to disable the dashboard button from unlocking everything? Is this a dealer programming thing?

Many thanks to anyone that can help - prizes will be awarded (maybe!) :)
When I need to locked the car with the top down - I bring up the windows. Obviously, it is not an impervious barrier but does tend to keep roaming arms/hands out of the car.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Did anyone try to duplicate steveowen's issue? Is it true?

My vert is on the boat after my ED... I did try my older M3. Then the doors are locked, the interior unlock button is disabled.

Seems hard to believe everyone was unaware of this issue - if there is an issue.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Can't Help, Car is in Shop

Did anyone try to duplicate steveowen's issue? Is it true?

My vert is on the boat after my ED... I did try my older M3. Then the doors are locked, the interior unlock button is disabled.

Seems hard to believe everyone was unaware of this issue - if there is an issue.
If I had access to my car I could easily find out if the unlock button can open the doors and center console without having the key fob. This might also differ on a car with CA vs. one without CA.

·
Registered
60 Posts
OK, some real live test data. (Your results may vary)

I have an '08, 328i E93 with CA. I just went out and tried the following sequence.

1. With the top down (and windows down) I locked the car using the CA touchpad on the door handle with the key fob in my pocket. That locked the doors, the center console and the glovebox. (I reached over the side and verified that the console and glovebox were locked).

2. I took the fob out of my pocket and put it in the house (more than 40 feet from the car).

3. I then reached in and punched the central locking button. It DID unlock the console and glovebox but not the doors!

4. Pushing the central locking button again DID NOT relock the console and glovebox!

Very interesting.

Bottom line: expensive stuff in the car = top up or a trip to the trunk.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
OK, some real live test data. (Your results may vary)

I have an '08, 328i E93 with CA. I just went out and tried the following sequence.

1. With the top down (and windows down) I locked the car using the CA touchpad on the door handle with the key fob in my pocket. That locked the doors, the center console and the glovebox. (I reached over the side and verified that the console and glovebox were locked).

2. I took the fob out of my pocket and put it in the house (more than 40 feet from the car).

3. I then reached in and punched the central locking button. It DID unlock the console and glovebox but not the doors!

4. Pushing the central locking button again DID NOT relock the console and glovebox!

Very interesting.

Bottom line: expensive stuff in the car = top up or a trip to the trunk.
Could you try the same thing except lock the car by manually pushing the lock button on the remote and then by using the key? I'm wondering if it makes any difference how you lock the car. Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ok, more test data.

Per request, I repeated the same sequences as before, except first, I used the center "lock" button on the fob to lock everything and then used the steel key insert in the fob to lock the car. The results were the same in both cases. The central lock button DOES unlock (and then will not re-lock) the console and glovebox.

Not sure what "valet mode" is. So if it's not one of the 3 scenarios I tried, sorry.

·
Registered
134 Posts
What else unlocks?

Thanks to 328vert Jim for doing the tests. But, I've gone back to the manual to see how it states the unlock method.

It says: "This button (refers to the Central Locking System button) serves to unlock or lock doors and the luggage compartment lid..."

So, if we found a 'software bug' that allows the glove compartment to be opened by pushing the unlock button on the dash, does it also allow someone to walk by the car and unlock the trunk?

Since I've never seen this locking subject discussed before, either everyone knows or it is a new problem. Any way to get this 'fixed'?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.