Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title states, looking for feedback, both pro and con on the drain valves for our e60s. Does the valve allow enough of the pan "bottoms" to drain to feel comfortable with a full drain or is the residual trash not being properly drained?

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,052 Posts
On my 530xi, the drain plug is on the very bottom of the pan. I felt it was too risky to put the Fumoto on for fear of it shearing off on something. On at least some non-xi, the drain plug is on the side at an angle. That seems less susceptible to a road hazard.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
On my 530xi, the drain plug is on the very bottom of the pan. I felt it was to risky to put the Fumoto on for fear of it shearing off on something. On at least some non-xi, the drain plug is on the side at an angle. That seems less susceptible to a road hazard.
Yes, my RWD 07 has the drain plug at an angle.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have the valve and small extension piece installed on my 2006 530i. It works great. I'm able to use the original plastic oil drain cover plate that BMW supplied with the car.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
twh and banglenot, thanks for your replays. I'm really looking for how the valve in fact drains, and does it get all the old oil out. In my case with a m54, the drain is horizontal to the bottom of the pan so I'm not necessarily conserned with ground clearance.

I have the valve and small extension piece installed on my 2006 530i. It works great. I'm able to use the original plastic oil drain cover plate that BMW supplied with the car.
tag, do you feel your getting all the old oil out with the valve installed or is there residual oil remaining behind?

I lived through the era where people wanted to use a extraction pump and pump the used oil out via the dipstick tube. I personally never went that route thinking you would leave a fair bit of residual oil behind. And to be honest, I will spend a hour crawling through a locker on our sailboat to get to the bilge in order to pull the drain plug on the auxiliary diesel for a oil change. Guess I'm just old school or anal or both.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,052 Posts
Next time you change your oil, take a paper clip and bend over the end. Measure the depth of the threaded opening for the drain plug using the paper clip to get to the inside edge of the hole. You don't need anything shorter than the depth of the hole.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've never been concerned about that.. since I don't take that long to change my oil (intervals). There is enough residual oil everywhere to not worry about what's left in the bottom of the pan. I wish the 535xi did not have a vertical drain, because this is the first car that I've had in a while that I could not put a fumoto onto...

·
Dinggg....what now!
1,074 Posts
There is enough residual oil everywhere to not worry about what's left in the bottom of the pan.
^^^^this.....:thumbup:

imho this valve is just another thing that can mess things up....
the main idea me thinks is for motors that requires very frequent oil changes...

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Agree with Moots. The valve is cool, but if you're changing oil only 1-2 times/year, why bother? If you're concerned about the tightness of the oil plug, get a torque wrench.

I suppose being able to adjust the flow is nice, for all of us who have overshot the damn drain pan on the first flow of hot oil :D... but as to residual oil, there's quite a bit left over (unless you pick up the car and shake it a few times -- there's a good Pelican Parts how-to vid for the car-shaking technique).

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
If you're really worried about residual oil then you can install the Fumoto valve and then connect a Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus to the valve and suction the residual oil out. I change my oil every 7500 miles not the silly 15k recommended by BMW so I'm not too worried about the residual oil being left in the pan. You can't get all of the oil out of the cooling jackets and cooler, either.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,052 Posts
*Always* use a torque wrench to tighten the drain bolt. Wife's X5 had it's drain bolt hole stripped by BMW at the last covered oil change and I had to fix it using a Time-Sert when I changed the oil 12 months later. Big PITA.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Ouch that sucks on the stripped bolt! I just do my own changes.. I'm so used to changing it so often on the race car it's already making me antsy to wait 5-7k. Now that I'm so busy with kids... I get much lazier.. I still change oil at least 3/4 times a year since I drive a lot. The valve Just makes changes easier.. much much easier. Not only do you not get a drop of oil anywhere, you certainly don't miss the pan .. and you can even do most cars without a ramp (if you know where you're reaching)... so it is just that much faster and pain free. The valve locks closed, so there is no way it'll come undone by itself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts