BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I debated for my current oil change, then decided to pay the $95 for oil/filter and diy
BMW OIL SERVICE.png

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
1,486 Posts
It’s not too good to be true.
it’s true. BMW is working hard to get people back in the door for maintenance and some dealers have opted into a program called “value service” which is discounted labor and parts at costs. The idea is that if your at the dealer and the prices are reasonable or good for maintenance you may opt into other repairs.
A lot of dealers are now price matching with tires and competitors repairs as well. Don’t automatically count out the dealer these days.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sounds like a Loss Leader strategy. They are making little to no profit on the oil service and will likely find other service/maintenance that will be much pricier and profitable for BMW. Especially since this deal only applies to cars with >60k miles. Think brakes, cabin/air filters, spark plugs, etc.

Reactions: Mark963

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
3,536 Posts
"based on your BMW's CBS system"
Another "Bean-Counter" Effort to shore up sagging revenues. NOT a "Give-Away" to "loyal owners". :giggle:
How many miles do you drive per year? What is the "CBS OCI"? 15k miles? By most any standard, that is TOO long for any 10- to 16-year-old engine? How many "Seniors" with 15-year-old vehicles will drive that vehicle 45,000 miles in next 3 years? Has BMW got a "Fix" for CBS OCI no longer working after ~ 180,000 miles? Is there a "One-year" change requirement? Is it even needed with Fully Synthetic, if you drive, say 5,000 miles per year or less? It's probably a good deal for someone who does NOT DIY, and drives the E9x at least 15,000 miles per year. THAT person is also the target market for a NEW BMW!

LOTS of potential "Catches". Dealers obviously are NOT selling as many new vehicles as normal. Prepaid $200 helps cash flow problems, and hope the market improves BEFORE you have to do the 2nd CBS-dictated Oil Change.

What does the Oil & Filter for DIY change cost? $43, delivered to your door, Amazon.
That's 7qt. Castrol Edge 5W-30 Oil & $8 Mann HU816x Filter:

DIY keeps you active and aware of the condition of your vehicle. YMMV:)
George

·
Registered
24 Posts
I prefer purchasing higher quality oil from a retailer/wholesaler and either doing the service myself or having a shop do it, with the preferred oil. I think that is the best long term plan if owning the car. If you're leasing it with no plan on buyout at the end - go for it.

·
BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
4,222 Posts
Sure offer'em a free oil change and they'll return quickly when they suddenly find a leaky vcg or a mysterious coolant leak.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

·
BeeemerBro
4,222 Posts
Its called reality. Only the fittest and wisest survive.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Did BMW actually publish a TSB recommending more frequent oil changes than what the CBS advises???

This touches a nerve for me because I'm sure the previous owner disregarded the dealerships written recommendation and let the oil go over 17000 miles (and it wasn't highway miles).

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
20,252 Posts
Did BMW actually publish a TSB recommending more frequent oil changes than what the CBS advises???

This touches a nerve for me because I'm sure the previous owner disregarded the dealerships written recommendation and let the oil go over 17000 miles (and it wasn't highway miles).
+1

See the Three Thousand Mile Oil Myth

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
3,536 Posts
Only an Internet forum can turn a positive thing negative.
Its called reality. Only the fittest and wisest survive.
I propose doing something POSITIVE & CONSTRUCTIVE with this thread:
ANYONE who can link a technically-correct Web site that discusses "Crankcase Life" of Full-Synthetic oil? Has anyone seen Oil Quality tests on Oil after 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, assuming less than 5,000 miles driven per year, and perhaps only driving ~ once per week on average?

I realize that does NOT match the driving habits of the MAJORITY of folks on this Forum but for 10 to 20 percent, perhaps including OP & myself, it probably DOES. "Dino"/Conventional OCI for years was "understood" to be: Every 3,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first, so the "1 year" part didn't matter to most. What about with Full-Synthetic? If BMW's 15,000 mile CBS number is reasonable, CERTAINLY the oil quality will still be sufficient 2, or maybe even 3 years after last change, unless perhaps it's driven twice a day, a mile or two in each direction and never gets the engine/oil HOT.

Actually it's called "Different Realities" for "Different Folks". ;) The $200 paid in advance for 3 years CBS dictated Oil Change makes sense for busy person who does NOT DIY and drives 15k miles per year in his E9x. It does NOT make sense for me:
1) I'm retired and have time to DIY;
2) I have all the tools, garage, driveway, ramps, etc. and the procedures on HD;
3) I can get out the necessary tools, ramps, drive on, change oil & filter and put it all away in ~ 30 minutes. I usually take longer to let sump drain well, and do other things for 10-20 minutes as it drains.
4) Nearest dealer to me is 20 to 30+ minute drive, ONE Way. It would take TWO HOURS+ to go to Dealer & wait while doing it, assuming I don't hit "Northern VA Gridlock", even if I had an "appointment".
5) I ONLY drive 3 to 5K miles per year, even less in last 1.5 years due to pandemic.
6) I don't need the Dealer trying to tell me the $$$$ I need to pay them to fix stuff every time I go in. I have INPA & ISTA, and regularly Read Fault Code (NOT plural in my case -- YET ;-) I use fluid & filter changes as an opportunity to examine things myself. Those changes are the only thing (other than changing original plugs @ 131,000 miles, and then replacing battery ~ 2 years ago) my car has needed in 4+ years. I'm sure IF I were driving to/from work every day, I would put 3 times as many miles on the car, and need MORE repairs & maintenance. HOWEVER I do NOT feel the need to drive those miles just 'cuz a LOT of you guys DO.:giggle:
7) If you ever closely Observed/Read About "Marketing Strategy", Advertising Techniques, Psychology of Advertising, etc. you should KNOW that the standard tools of the trade are to appeal to the emotions, and NOT to LOGIC. For instance, making someone think the product or service offered will enhance is sex appeal, social standing, image with neighbors, increased personal happiness or leisure time, etc. Actually saving time or money (Rational, computable criteria) are WAAAY down the list if mentioned AT ALL. Hurry, Limited Time only; only 7 left; be first in your xxx; WOW your friends...
8) The Ad SKWDMD posted is NOT THAT Tacky, but the oblique reference to CBS is an example of NOT providing the data needed to make a rational decision. That's NOT "completely transparent" (NOTHING IS; hence thy "cynicism" ;-)

"Different Strokes for Different Folks",
George

·
Registered
E93 335i, somewhat mod <> Fog City, CA
2,720 Posts
Sounds like a Loss Leader strategy. They are making little to no profit on the oil service and will likely find other service/maintenance that will be much pricier and profitable for BMW. Especially since this deal only applies to cars with >60k miles. Think brakes, cabin/air filters, spark plugs, etc.

Looks like....you can bet there'll be "free inspections" too.

In for dime, in for a dollar!

·
BeeemerBro
4,222 Posts
I propose doing something POSITIVE & CONSTRUCTIVE with this thread:
ANYONE who can link a technically-correct Web site that discusses "Crankcase Life" of Full-Synthetic oil? Has anyone seen Oil Quality tests on Oil after 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, assuming less than 5,000 miles driven per year, and perhaps only driving ~ once per week on average?

I realize that does NOT match the driving habits of the MAJORITY of folks on this Forum but for 10 to 20 percent, perhaps including OP & myself, it probably DOES. "Dino"/Conventional OCI for years was "understood" to be: Every 3,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first, so the "1 year" part didn't matter to most. What about with Full-Synthetic? If BMW's 15,000 mile CBS number is reasonable, CERTAINLY the oil quality will still be sufficient 2, or maybe even 3 years after last change, unless perhaps it's driven twice a day, a mile or two in each direction and never gets the engine/oil HOT.

Actually it's called "Different Realities" for "Different Folks". ;) The $200 paid in advance for 3 years CBS dictated Oil Change makes sense for busy person who does NOT DIY and drives 15k miles per year in his E9x. It does NOT make sense for me:
1) I'm retired and have time to DIY;
2) I have all the tools, garage, driveway, ramps, etc. and the procedures on HD;
3) I can get out the necessary tools, ramps, drive on, change oil & filter and put it all away in ~ 30 minutes. I usually take longer to let sump drain well, and do other things for 10-20 minutes as it drains.
4) Nearest dealer to me is 20 to 30+ minute drive, ONE Way. It would take TWO HOURS+ to go to Dealer & wait while doing it, assuming I don't hit "Northern VA Gridlock", even if I had an "appointment".
5) I ONLY drive 3 to 5K miles per year, even less in last 1.5 years due to pandemic.
6) I don't need the Dealer trying to tell me the $$$$ I need to pay them to fix stuff every time I go in. I have INPA & ISTA, and regularly Read Fault Code (NOT plural in my case -- YET ;-) I use fluid & filter changes as an opportunity to examine things myself. Those changes are the only thing (other than changing original plugs @ 131,000 miles, and then replacing battery ~ 2 years ago) my car has needed in 4+ years. I'm sure IF I were driving to/from work every day, I would put 3 times as many miles on the car, and need MORE repairs & maintenance. HOWEVER I do NOT feel the need to drive those miles just 'cuz a LOT of you guys DO.:giggle:
7) If you ever closely Observed/Read About "Marketing Strategy", Advertising Techniques, Psychology of Advertising, etc. you should KNOW that the standard tools of the trade are to appeal to the emotions, and NOT to LOGIC. For instance, making someone think the product or service offered will enhance is sex appeal, social standing, image with neighbors, increased personal happiness or leisure time, etc. Actually saving time or money (Rational, computable criteria) are WAAAY down the list if mentioned AT ALL. Hurry, Limited Time only; only 7 left; be first in your xxx; WOW your friends...
8) The Ad SKWDMD posted is NOT THAT Tacky, but the oblique reference to CBS is an example of NOT providing the data needed to make a rational decision. That's NOT "completely transparent" (NOTHING IS; hence thy "cynicism" ;-)

"Different Strokes for Different Folks",
George
Back in the early 1900's what we know today as mouth wash, was first offered to the public as a type of body wash. It didn't fly then unsuccessful. The company later then pushed the product as mouth wash by way of the need to be socially acceptable.
"Theres a sucker born every second"...
W.C Fields

·
Registered
230 Posts
It's. not for suckers. It's for people that can or can't do the math and calculate how many oil changes they will actually get in 3 years and the cost per oil change.
If you get one per year, it's a good deal. If you get one per year and a half, probably an okay deal.
If you get one per 15K miles and drive 5K per year, it's not a good deal for you.
You gotta do the math.
And, how many people will still have their car in 3 years?
Or still live near the dealer that's offering the service?

·
BeeemerBro
4,222 Posts
It's. not for suckers. It's for people that can or can't do the math and calculate how many oil changes they will actually get in 3 years and the cost per oil change.
If you get one per year, it's a good deal. If you get one per year and a half, probably an okay deal.
If you get one per 15K miles and drive 5K per year, it's not a good deal for you.
You gotta do the math.
And, how many people will still have their car in 3 years?
Or still live near the dealer that's offering the service?
Well thats a good angle...are the oil changes regulated? Months, Milage, Year, Person...can I get the oil change at any dealership in the city, in the state or even out of state?
It's not just the math...Its the money and is it worth it? Bottom line.

I'm apart of a car wash club.
I can run my car through as much as i want each month as long as I pay the monthly rate. I got 3 cars...every week I'm running each one through....comes in really handy when I come in from a weekend out of state run.

Sent from my SM-A115U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
The offering states Based on Condition Based Service System.
So, if your CBS kicks in at 15K intervals, then you can figure out how many intervals and oil changes you will qualify for.
I'm not sure if your CBS also kicks in based upon time - doesn't most owner's manuals say to change the oil every so many miles or 12 months, whichever comes first? So you could qualify for 3 changes based upon three 12 month intervals regardless of miles - but not if the CBS doesn't trigger by time.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts