Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm hoping some of you have some experience with my issue....I have a 2014 535d, purchased CPO - I'm second owner, which just rolled over 100k miles. It has been well maintained with oil changes, etc., and the only repairs to my knowledge are a new O2 sensor and Nok sensor in the last month. Last week, the engine seized while idling with no lights or warnings. It just shifted into neutral. I towed it to my regular mechanic (only works on BMWs) first - he checked the typical places like oil and timing chain, and said he's never seen one behave like that in his experience. He suggested towing it to the dealership. I was never notified about the EGR recall, and it has not been done, so we were hoping perhaps sucking in bad exhaust could be the culprit to the seized engine...or at least that they couldn't say it didn't cause it. They have it now, and I am waiting for them to come back to me with info as to the possible cause. Here are my questions: 1) anyone else have an experience like this? 2) could someone confirm the powertrain warranty for this engine? 3) any other experiences with dealerships and/or BMW NA as to dealing with situations like this, particularly as it relates to expectations on length of time to resolve?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,452 Posts
Wow. First seized BMW diesel I have heard of. Best wishes.

Minimize your expectations as you are out of warranty.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I'm watching this thread with interest given that I'm only at 146k miles in my 2014 535dx (bought new in 2013).

This is the second seized BMW diesel that I've heard of and an N57 engine in particular. The first one I heard about was from a friend and former co-worker who has an F15 X5 35d with only 160k miles on it. He drives a lot of highway miles like I do. His BMW dealer quoted $26k(!) to replace the engine and he called me to ask about independent shops in the area. The details are sketchy and I quizzed him about it. He said his engine was seized according to his BMW dealer. There were no low oil level warnings prior to failure. He did notice a ticking sound prior to failure and the dealer said to bring it in. The engine died on the way to the dealer. According to the BMW dealer, the oil level was not low but the oil was full of metal. He wasn't sure about the timing chain when I asked about it. The details are very sketchy and I don't have any more information than this.

I don't know what he has done about it since I last talked to him.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If an engine with adequate oil level seizes without any warning whatsoever, one would suspect the failure of the oil pump. It happened to one of my friend's Range Rover with V 6 diesel engine. They ended up putting a new engine and the culprit for the seizure was the oil pump.
But I would think in the case of oil pump failure, the low oil pressure warning would be illuminated in the instrument panel and a prudent driver would notice this stopping the engine right away without causing significant damage.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,196 Posts
Sorry to hear.

good news is that you bough a CPO from a bmw dealer..
which means thee is a SLIM chance they will help

it all depends on the dealer and if they go to bat for you.

bmwna has the ability to ‘goodwill’ repairs. All or a part. You are kinda up to the whims of bmw and the dealer.

report back when they tell you what they found or what they propose, we can possibly provide input

gl

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,196 Posts
`... or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to learn about your troubles OP. It’s not a common failure so it sounds like you were unlucky. It might be cheaper to source a used engine rather than have yours torn down to establish the reason for seizure. Hopefully the dealer provides some sort of good will.
It might also help to consider an oil analysis. There are many services out there and this is an example: Blackstone Laboratories | Oil Analysis - Learn What's Going On In Your Engine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts