BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help i have a 2002 745li it as about 94,000 miles and is out of warranty due to time. I recently have the car in the body shop for minor body work the battery had to be jumped a couple times to move the car in the shop with out any problems but this last time it sat for about 2 weeks before it was going to be moved but it doesnt start up at all. So as soon as i was notified i purchased a new battery from the dealer and self installed it. Before I installed the new one i tried starting it my self and noticed when i hit the start button it doesnt crank over and the lights are very dim along with a warning light for the transmission on the dash. So i installed the new battery and all the lights are working fine just when i try to start it it cranks over but doesnt start still. The car has gas and i really dont know what the problem could be can anyone please advise i really dont want to tow it to the dealer just find out it was a simple reset or something. Thanx it would mean a lot to me.

· Registered
12,829 Posts
That sucks...:thumbdwn:

· Registered
2,048 Posts
So, it would appear from reading the the posts by BMW tech in the above links it is NOT possible to change the battery on a 7 without the dealer getting involved.

Jer
NO SIR, that's not what my posts suggest. Anybody with a GT-1 or capability of REGISTERING the battery for the purpose of re-adapting the energy and power management values.That includes possible parasitic draws that should be taken care of prior to registration of a new battery. Installing a battery on any vehicle is a no-brainer, NO disrespect to the OP. To you sir, the one having the problem.....
Recheck all your connections and make sure that they are tight. Check the other end of the negative cable that attaches to a chassis ground with a 13mm. nut, see to it that it's also tight. If everything looks good and that doesn't cure the problem, get a hold of a jumper cable and try to jump start the vehicle by using the jumper connection in the engine compartment. If the vehicle starts, check the chassis ground in the engine compartment.

· Registered
871 Posts
Well, if after changing out the battery you do not register the new battery, how does the car know a new battery has been installed? My example is my blower motor would not change speed, they changed the battery, registered it and problem solved. My SA told me if they did not register the new battery the blower motor would still not work properly because the car was not told there was a new battery. Is my SA not telling me the real story? The battery was changed free of charge to the black one, by the way.

Jer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.