BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

Brand new here, and obviously here because I have a problem unfortunately. Have done some research and sounds like a big issues with X5s.

Got in my car after work and the suspension leveling system failure light came on. Tried to turn off, lock car, wait, unlock, restart and so on, nothing. Drove home on what was an embarrassing and horrific bumpy ride, I mean I was like all over the place lol.

Got home, checked one of the fuses in the back right trunk panel, couldn't find the other fuse box thaf has 2 more of the suspension fuses, the one was fine though. But when I put it back in about 1minute later I heard the compressor turn on, leveled a little but then went back down. It made a sound like the bags were filling with air, then letting it right back out, on both rear sides did the same thing.

Any help is MUCH appreciated guys! I'm new to the BMW family and love my X5 so much! I've had it less than 2 months and now this happens. :(

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Hard to tell exactly what's going on from a keyboard, but usually the airbags fail first, the evidence being slight sagging in the corner where airbag is failing after the car has been unused for several hours. The compressor pumps it back up, but the problem does not go away and ignoring it may kill the compressor.

Parts can be sourced here: https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_BMW_yid21_pid198.html

Weird that yours just failed altogether with no warning sign, but anything is possible. If no one comes back with a definite diagnosis or troubleshooting guidelines, you might want to get it diagnosed before throwing parts at it. The bags themselves are supposed to be very approachable DIY work, mine are still holding for now so no direct experience.

·
Migrated to the X5 SAV
899 Posts
Air bag leaks are a strong possibility. Rarely do both go at the same time.

There's a leveling sensor, rear left.

A valve block just off the compressor, this could get clogged.

The compressor is the most expensive item at just over $1k

There's plenty of threads on this topic.

good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts