BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for information on a 2006 530xi wagon.

1. a fuse diagram. It is supposed to be located in the compartment near the battery in the rear of the car but ....not in my car.

2. any specific detail as to whether or not there is a fuse unique to the self leveling system / compressor.

I had some recall work done on the battery cable and on the drive home from the dealer the warning light for the self leveling system came on. I would like to trouble shoot as much as possible prior to spending any money on parts or repairs. I do know that it is possible for the compressor to fail and I have seen references to leaking hoses as a possible symptom.

Thanks in advance....Tom

· Registered
12 Posts
The rear fuse box has fuse number F52 40amps listed for the Air Ride compressor only.
If you have issues with your air ride suspension, welcome to the club. I had a quote of $1300 to fix the compressor on my 2006 530xi wagon. I have not pulled the trigger on this. This morning I pulled the power plug that connects to my compressor so hopefully I won't be getting the error on the dash.
I have yet to decide how I am going to solve this long term.
Replace air suspension with conventional suspension?
Replace Compressor?
Any ideas?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Self Leveling

Thanks for the reply. As I said in the original thread, I wanted to check the fuse as step one in my trouble shooting.

I found the following with the help of a reputable, local mechanic that allowed me to be part of the investigation (i.e. I was able to validate what he was telling me)

Blown fuse, burned out relay, burned out compressor, and ruptured airbag (driver's side rear) were all replaced. The air bag ruptured which caused the compressor to run until it died.

Fortunately I have an extended warranty that covered all the cost less my $300 deductable.

The $1,300 quote sounds a bit high but not outrageous from my experience. (~$850 for the part and 2.5hrs of labor @$125)

I still haven't been able to find a fuse map and the BMW dealership has yet to return any of my calls….I may invest in the E6"X" manual next.

· Registered
1 Posts
I recently had to replace my compressor on my 2006 530Xi Sport Wagon. ($1010) It failed following a 15 minute run time, presumably because of a leak in one of the lines, as the mechanics did not indicate a leak in or a need to change the air bladders. So everything was fine for 30 days. Recently I've been hearing an odd noise coming from the rear end during deceleration from 55 to 45; sounds like a piece of cardboard or rubber fluttering. I got home and my new compressor wouldn't shut off. I pulled the only 40amp fuse out of the fuse box and the compressor kept going. I was about to disconnect the battery, when the compressor shut off on its own after running for 12-15 minutes. Still looking for the fuse map. What could I expect to pay if I convert the suspension to springs?

· Registered
3,516 Posts
Looks like the relay for your compressor is probably done. It's about a 15$ part. Not sure if it's even possible to convert the wagon air suspension to conventional springs, since there isn't a real seat for them, top or bottom.,...

· Registered
5 Posts
where is this relay located? my problem is the air suspension went way up after parking front left and rear left wheels on a kerb...tried to have it reset but only resulted in going to maximum height on rear..looked like a drag racer until i brought to the BMW dealer...they manually let the air out .and reset the self levelling light on dash..now light came on again and car feels funny and high at the back..more that what it should ....is my compressor the problem? why wont it let air out of the bags ? id it dirt in the filter? any help please:):)

· Registered
5 Posts
This is the f11 model..unfortunately there is no spare tyre in this car or space for one...have been reading more and just wondering if anyone else had this problem of not being able to get the air to come out of the air bags on rear, so the car will self level. is there simply a release valve blocked or something else like a compressor on the way out which would be costly thanks

· Registered
1,132 Posts
Could also be the ride height sensor(s) are broken or mechanically disconnected, so the car thinks it's trying to raise the car to proper height but not seeing it get there. If you have a laptop with INPA you can do lots of diagnostics, controlling ride height setting, watch valves open & close, etc

· Registered
4 Posts
Looks like the relay for your compressor is probably done. It's about a 15$ part. Not sure if it's even possible to convert the wagon air suspension to conventional springs, since there isn't a real seat for them, top or bottom.,...
this can be done and the full conversion kit can be purchased on eBay for Cheap in comparison, I just did mine, parts (uk) were £199.99. Labour was £60, well worth it considering no more levelling system failures.

· Registered
4 Posts
The rear fuse box has fuse number F52 40amps listed for the Air Ride compressor only.
If you have issues with your air ride suspension, welcome to the club. I had a quote of $1300 to fix the compressor on my 2006 530xi wagon. I have not pulled the trigger on this. This morning I pulled the power plug that connects to my compressor so hopefully I won't be getting the error on the dash.
I have yet to decide how I am going to solve this long term.
Replace air suspension with conventional suspension?
Replace Compressor?
Any ideas?
Full kit can be purchased on eBay, this is what it looks like (uk)...

· Registered
3,516 Posts
this can be done and the full conversion kit can be purchased on eBay for Cheap in comparison, I just did mine, parts (uk) were £199.99. Labour was £60, well worth it considering no more levelling system failures.
Sure but why? One of the great things about the air suspension is the active height control. It's what improves the handling on the highway.

Over my years of ownership I have replaced the compressor due to failure caused by BMW cheaping out on the intake hose and both of the air bladders, one due to failure after 12 years use, and the other preemptively.

· Registered
4 Posts
Sure but why? One of the great things about the air suspension is the active height control. It's what improves the handling on the highway.

Over my years of ownership I have replaced the compressor due to failure caused by BMW cheaping out on the intake hose and both of the air bladders, one due to failure after 12 years use, and the other preemptively.
Because in my case and others like it, the boot filled with water and fried the EHC module and relay, also had a fault on one side previous, the relay can not be picked up by the computer, so, I can either spend £500+ for new relays, EHC module, pipes/parts, plus a further £500+ for labour and diagnostics should the issue not be resolved, on a car worth a few grand, Id rather spend £300 including labour to have to problem eradicated for good.
My 530d is for commuting to work nothing more nothing less, the conversion is easy, cheap and eradicated future problems... If the car was worth 10k then it might well be a different story, but it’s not.

· Registered
24 Posts
Because in my case and others like it, the boot filled with water and fried the EHC module and relay, also had a fault on one side previous, the relay can not be picked up by the computer, so, I can either spend £500+ for new relays, EHC module, pipes/parts, plus a further £500+ for labour and diagnostics should the issue not be resolved, on a car worth a few grand, Id rather spend £300 including labour to have to problem eradicated for good.
My 530d is for commuting to work nothing more nothing less, the conversion is easy, cheap and eradicated future problems... If the car was worth 10k then it might well be a different story, but it’s not.
Once you convert the air suspension to regular coil springs.........eliminating the compressor and air bags all together, does the car recognize the fact that you've disconnected the levelers and compressor, or does it throw codes?

· Registered
3,516 Posts
Once you convert the air suspension to regular coil springs.........eliminating the compressor and air bags all together, does the car recognize the fact that you've disconnected the levelers and compressor, or does it throw codes?
So long as the car remains within the logical height, it probably won't throw codes but if the car is loaded down in the back it probably will.

If you have adaptive headlights, the sensors are required to correctly level the headlights, so coding them out just leads to other issues.

· Registered
4 Posts
It throws level sensor error, I’ve not had chance to manually adjust the sensor to see if the code clears.
It can be coded out.

2008 535xi wagon
3,218 Posts
I'm running coilovers. Replaced the air suspension in the back with springs and dampers from ISC. I believe they sell just the rear stuff as well. In hindsight, it's a harsher ride than the air bags. I pulled the whole system including the module and coded the error out. No recalibration necessary - why would it be? I have instructions somewhere on how to do so by temporarily changing the vehicle order to a sedan (nv93) and writing factory defaults with NCS to (i think) the KOMBI module only.

On the bright side, I was rear ended where the compressor used to be. I drove away no problems. Could have left me stranded.l on air bags. Reliability is a big reason why i switched.

· Registered
24 Posts
So long as the car remains within the logical height, it probably won't throw codes but if the car is loaded down in the back it probably will.

If you have adaptive headlights, the sensors are required to correctly level the headlights, so coding them out just leads to other issues.
Oh, great. Is there a way to de-activate the adaptive headlights, or code that function out of the headlights?

If not, I could just take the headlights out, and buy regular ones.

· Registered
3,516 Posts
Pick your can of worms. These cars are very complex engineering puzzles. Ultimately, I find it's easier just to repair what needs to be fixed, not attempt to figure out how to circumvent the systems that make the car work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.