BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine took a delivery of his car in Munich last month and is to have it here in US in few weeks. His wife just got an offer (expat assignment) in Malaysia and they are seriously considering moving. He is thinking about selling his car as soon as it arrives here in US and will sell it to me at pretty much cost. My wife likes the car, but I am not sure if one is allowed to sell ED purchased car the first year after purchase? Do you guys know? He paid cash. Can he sell it to me?

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
An ED car is no different than any other car once back in the states. There is no agreement that could possibly affect when the owner sells it.

·
Registered
8,181 Posts
You may need to repay sales tax. I'm not sure if there is a way around that - perhaps have your friend contact the dealer?

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
A friend of mine took a delivery of his car in Munich last month and is to have it here in US in few weeks. His wife just got an offer (expat assignment) in Malaysia and they are seriously considering moving. He is thinking about selling his car as soon as it arrives here in US and will sell it to me at pretty much cost. My wife likes the car, but I am not sure if one is allowed to sell ED purchased car the first year after purchase? Do you guys know? He paid cash. Can he sell it to me?
Actually... there is not restriction on selling of the ED cars but there is one on not exporting the car in the first year (but enforcement of this rule is questionable).

I think you can avoid the "double" sales tax issue by the following:

1) Pay off the loan on the car (assuming it was financed) this will enable the dealer to register the car at the owner's request without restriction from lien holder.

2) INSTRUCT the dealer to register the vehicle into (a) Your friend's name and (b) your name. As Techincally, its his car and he can register the car anyway he wants.

3) Upon receiving the Pink Slip from DMV, have your friend endorse and release interest of the car. Take it to DMV and "re"Register it again, but this time under your name only.

Done!!

Hope this helps,

bee

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.