BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has come for my beloved e90 to hit the road. I love this car but wanted an SUV for camping, so I picked up a 2000 4Runner with 90k! Quite the change :confused:

I've read some suggestions on getting rid of smoke smell, but wondering if anybody else has any suggestions or success stories. I haven't smoked in a while but it still smells pretty bad from when I did. I'm starting to leave the windows open all day in the hot sun while the car sits at home. I won't be selling until the smell is gone (if that's even possible).

Also, anybody have a link or know where I can pick up a silver pen/kit to color in the burn mark in the back seat? :eeps:

·
Registered
22 Posts
On a sunny hot day use ozium spray it in your car and shut the doors and windows and let it soak into the car it also eliminates smoke smell.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you like camping, BMW is the last vehicle you want hehe

We love camping too, but don't use E90 for those duties.....that would suck.

We also have a camp trailer (for hauling gear) :D

·
Registered
750 Posts
You can always sell it to a smoker :)

I'd febreeze the crap out of it and do a nice carpet wash too. Leave windows open. it might take a couple of weeks but it will go away.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yep, I would degrease the carpets like they do at details shops. Keep windows open as much as possible. Clean the interior with good interior cleaner.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Open a box of baking soda and shut the windows , it absorbs bad odors. Do it a few times and it should do the trick. At 50 cents per box , what have you got to lose? It works though!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all. Will try cleaning seats and baking soda today for starters. :thumbup:

·
Registered
715 Posts
Society is so smoke free now that non smokers are hyper sensitive to the smell.

Hopefully the home remedies work, but you might end up needing to knock a few thousand off and sell it as a smoker's car.

·
Registered
443 Posts
IMO, it can't be completely removed. It will always stink to a non-smoker.
^^^ This. Sorry, but it's true.

When our house is closed up and I come home, I can smell it. Nobody has smoked in the house in over 8 years, all walls were repainted carpet all replaced. It's still there.... it gets in he insulation and subfloor, drywall.

Short of stripping ALL of the interior upholstery and replacing the seats (it's in the foam), a non smoker will notice it.

However, I think about 1/3 of non smokers don't really care and aren't sensitive to odors.... which is why a complete ban on smoking altogether hasn't taken place, and it took some effort ot pass public indoor smoking bans. Just my $0.02.

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
Ozone is the preferred way to eliminate smoke. Unlike all of the other suggestions ozone actually destroys smoke particulates instead of masking them. You can rent an ozone generator from some tool rental places. You need to thoroughly clean the interior first (I'd also recommend replacing the cabin filter). A thorough cleaning is a must in order to eliminate the smell. When using the ozone generator I'd recommend starting the car and placing the climate control on recirculation to pull the ozone particulates into the climate control duct working so that it can attack the particulates contained within. It may take several treatments but it can be done.

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
Ozone is the preferred way to eliminate smoke. Unlike all of the other suggestions ozone actually destroys smoke particulates instead of masking them. You can rent an ozone generator from some tool rental places. You need to thoroughly clean the interior first (I'd also recommend replacing the cabin filter). A thorough cleaning is a must in order to eliminate the smell. When using the ozone generator I'd recommend starting the car and placing the climate control on recirculation to pull the ozone particulates into the climate control duct working so that it can attack the particulates contained within. It may take several treatments but it can be done.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Second the ozone generator rental suggestion. In a former life I was a hotel manager and when some inconsiderate smoker would stink up a non-smoking room we had an ozone generator. We would change all of the linen, bedspreads and drapes, shampoo the carpet and then run the ozone generator over night.

Presto! A fresh smelling non-smoking room.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts