BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So my car is almost here so im trying to sell my old 1999 honda accord that is registered in Rhode Island. Do I have to actually register it with california and get plates and everything before i can transfer the title or can i just have the new owner do that once he picks it up? The RI plates have to go back to RI so can i just get temp plates for the new guy to drive to the DMV to register it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was in a similar situation (in the military with CA plates, but living and working in NY) trying to sell a car with out of state plates/registration. What I ended up doing was selling the car, giving the title to the buyer, and letting my buyer drive around with the CA plates while in NY just long enough to register it in the state of his choice (he was also military). Obviously, the title was his since he purchased the vehicle and needed the title to register the car. Once the car was registered, he gave me back my plates so I could return them to the state. Done deal.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Take the RI plates off, Xfer title to new owner, it's owner's responsibility to register the car, pay the taxes, etc. You don't want a stranger driving around w/ plates registered in your name. If you do the transaction in the DMV parking lot he can just walk in and get the plates, no prob.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Take the RI plates off, Xfer title to new owner, it's owner's responsibility to register the car, pay the taxes, etc. You don't want a stranger driving around w/ plates registered in your name. If you do the transaction in the DMV parking lot he can just walk in and get the plates, no prob.
I generally agree with this - it IS the buyer's responsibility. Having said that, I have "loaned" my tags to the new owner of cars I have sold for a few days, and I've borrowed tags on cars that I have purchased. On the latter, I once drove a car from Las Vegas to Chicago and then FedEx'ed the tags back. It all depends on people being GENTLEMEN (or Ladies) and not screwing each other. There are still honest people out there.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I generally agree with this - it IS the buyer's responsibility. Having said that, I have "loaned" my tags to the new owner of cars I have sold for a few days, and I've borrowed tags on cars that I have purchased. On the latter, I once drove a car from Las Vegas to Chicago and then FedEx'ed the tags back. It all depends on people being GENTLEMEN (or Ladies) and not screwing each other. There are still honest people out there.

Andrew
I don't really understand the issue. When you sell the car (regardless of if you conduct the transaction near DMV or not) you have bill of sale and the portion of the car's title (pink slip). You fill that portion in with new owners info and mail it to your DMV.
New owner would have to register this car and get temporary registration (there are no temp plates in CA, as far as I know)...

The only benefit of buying the car with CA plates is that you can transfer the registration and save money for the buyer this way (transfer used to be $10 - $15 for the remainder of the registration).

Am I missing something here?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts