BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a silly question but I'll throw it out there....:dunno:

I'm guessing we will be in Europe for 12 days, headed up to Dusseldorf with a car drop off in Amsterdam. Has anyone just arrived in Munich and took off and found places to stay along the way as they journeyed thru Europe, without any prior contact or reservations with hotels ? Is this a silly/bad idea? We are very seasoned travelers and not real picky about hotels as we spend so very little time in them. We were going to head towards Lucerne and then up towards Dusseldorf .

Any help, comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated :thumbup:

Regards,
Robert

· Travel Fever
2,759 Posts
If you just want some run of the mill budget hotel, no problem. If you want nice hotels, no.

· Registered
1,535 Posts
Actually that is my favorite way to travel in Europe. You will need a couple of good guides to hotels and eating places, my suggestion would be the Michelin Red Guide, & Rick Steeves guide. Avoid staying in large cities and you willl have a very memorable trip. Let me expand I try to be on the road about 9:00 AM and off the road and in a hotel around 4:00 PM no later than 5. Gives time for exploring the town and be ready to take photos when "the golden hour" arrives.

· Registered
149 Posts
This is probably a silly question but I'll throw it out there....:dunno:

... Has anyone just arrived in Munich and took off and found places to stay along the way as they journeyed thru Europe, without any prior contact or reservations with hotels ?
We did it in June 2001 (30 days). But we made a few reservations along the way, a day or 2 ahead.

We didn't have a detailed plan either, just a few things we wanted to see.

Big advantage is you can avoid bad weather. We were in Beaune one night watching TV, and they announced a stretch of 4-5 days of good weather in SE France. We changed our plans, and headed for la Route des grandes Alpes... only to find that all hotels in Val d'Isère were closed for the annual vacations, except for a small one outside of town.

· Registered
438 Posts
These days with the internet, I think it should be easy to plan each day as you go, but I'd make a hotel reservation the night before. Arrive at destination, have some relaxation time, over a drink talk about what you want to do the next day and where you'd like to wind up, find a hotel for that night.

· Registered
2,510 Posts
Yes this adds a little element of excitement along with the obvious flexibility.

The worst that happened to us was landing one night in a pension in the red light district of Munich but that was my bad for being cheap and wanting to be close to the city center :dunno:

· Registered
235 Posts
I much prefer to arrange everything in advance... so I can't provide much feedback to that portion of your question.

However on another note... I've been fortunate to take two business trips to northern Germany (Dusseldorf, Cologne, Aachen and Alfeld) over the past couple of months, and I just flew out of Amsterdam on Sunday. If you intend to drive in the city center of Amsterdam, I would urge you to avoid peak traffic times. Between the narrow streets, canals, street cars, cars, mopeds and TENS of THOUSANDS of bicycles and pedestrians.... it made driving in Italy seem like a country outing. I was in a rental car, but if I was driving my own ED BMW, I would have been quite nervous. Enjoy your trip!

· I do'nt make mistakes.
13,832 Posts
These days with the internet, I think it should be easy to plan each day as you go, but I'd make a hotel reservation the night before. Arrive at destination, have some relaxation time, over a drink talk about what you want to do the next day and where you'd like to wind up, find a hotel for that night.
That's how we did our last trip. The only thing planned in advance was sleeper cars on the overnight train. On the weekends, finding a room was difficult, especially in Amsterdam (we ended up on a boat). Normally, I plan out all the hotels ahead of time.

· Registered
21 X5 xDrive40i
641 Posts
We prefer traveling like this as well, no pre-arrangements - less destination driven, stop where you find something interesting. A lot of German cities have "Tourist Information" offices, follow the signs, they are usually not too far from the Zentrum. They are happy to help you find a "Nice" hotel of your price range, ammenities, etc. It helps if you stop in early in the day - before 3 pm. Also helps if you speak some German. No, this will probably not work during Aug but other times of year are no problem. If you want to stay in an "exectutive road warrior 5 star" class hotels or large urban cities then by all means make pre arrangements.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.