BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my copy of the September Car & Driver and there wasnt a review or any mention of the 335i coupe or sedan. I thought the car magazines test drove the cars a few weeks ago. I was looking forward to hearing about it in an American publication. Anyone know if any of the other magazines have any reviews of the 335i in their September issues?

·
mmm... carbs!
3,055 Posts
No 335i test, but I liked the 330i/330d comparison. Can't wait for the d to arrive in the US. 330i-like performance and 40mpg.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
JREIT said:
I just got my copy of the September Car & Driver and there wasnt a review or any mention of the 335i coupe or sedan. I thought the car magazines test drove the cars a few weeks ago. I was looking forward to hearing about it in an American publication. Anyone know if any of the other magazines have any reviews of the 335i in their September issues?
Dude...car mags in the U.S. are like 4-5 months in between what they drive vs. what they print.
You won't see a test in a U.S. mag until you start actually seeing the cars driving around the roads.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
RichReg said:
Dude...car mags in the U.S. are like 4-5 months in between what they drive vs. what they print.
You won't see a test in a U.S. mag until you start actually seeing the cars driving around the roads.
It's more like a three-month lead time for a monthly.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
exmercedesowner said:
It's more like a three-month lead time for a monthly.
At the earliest....I guess the 335 qualifies.
But that can't mean that Motor Trend drove the car 3 weeks ago.
There's no way they got it to print that quickly. :)

·
mmm... carbs!
3,055 Posts
The article is pretty useless - it isn't a very thorough test. They do mention that the suspension is carried over from Europe and that it is firmer than any 3 sedan's.

They also say you feel good torque out of the engine. Nothing really stuck out from the review.

·
Registered
231 Posts
xspeedy said:
Actually, BMW is looking to bring diesels here for 08. Just doubtful that we'll see it in the 3 first.
Early this month, I rent a dissel MB in Scotland, my first time drving a dissel engine car. It's noisier, and initial accerlation is a bit slower, but the return is better mid-range speeding up, and way higher gas milage (about 40 mpg).

But the reality here is - US government raised the auto emmision standard bar, effective 2008. The new standard is much more stringent than the current one, and it will disquality several currently-qualified vehicles, such as the dissel Jeep Liberty. So I doubt BMW, whose dissel vehicles cannot even pass the current emmission standard, will bring products to meet the ever-higher standard for 2008.

·
mmm... carbs!
3,055 Posts
klu123 said:
Early this month, I rent a dissel MB in Scotland, my first time drving a dissel engine car. It's noisier, and initial accerlation is a bit slower, but the return is better mid-range speeding up, and way higher gas milage (about 40 mpg).

But the reality here is - US government raised the auto emmision standard bar, effective 2008. The new standard is much more stringent than the current one, and it will disquality several currently-qualified vehicles, such as the dissel Jeep Liberty. So I doubt BMW, whose dissel vehicles cannot even pass the current emmission standard, will bring products to meet the ever-higher standard for 2008.
It is just a matter of technology. Read the article - it has some good bits.

·
Registered
112 Posts
xspeedy said:
The article is pretty useless - it isn't a very thorough test. They do mention that the suspension is carried over from Europe and that it is firmer than any 3 sedan's.

They also say you feel good torque out of the engine. Nothing really stuck out from the review.
It's not exactly a review/road test though. It's a first drive, so of course it's not thorough.

·
Registered
420 Posts
PhilH said:
Did they do instrumented testing? What were the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times?
No. They listed 0-60 at 5.3 seconds (mfr est). They like most of the stuff but not the active steering and, the I-drive, of course.

·
Custom User
760 Posts
If the cars were drove a few weeks ago, best scenario, a review that was written to meet this month's deadline, will go to printing next month, and will come out at beginning of September as an "October" issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.