BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that the new M 3's sequential shifter technology will be available throughout the entire 3 series lineup a year after its introduction in the M series.

Is this reliable information?

If so..are you guys excited about the potiential this new technology brings?

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Topaz330xi said:

Alex,

does the 3 series SMG still have fewer modes even though they kept the name the same as the ///M?
Yes, it does have fewer modes than M3 SMG II. Unlike in the M3 , it has a 5-Speed transmission instead of 6, and has 5 modes, AFAIK.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had heard that shortly after the M3 SMG II release that the sequential transmission option would become available on all three series..

I believe as early as next year..

The terminolgy bandied about was..."one year after the initial launch!"

I for one believe sequential shifting technology such as BMW is using .whether its with 5 or 6 forward gears and the totally automatic mode option will expand both the sales and the sporting adventure to many more americans.

I for one am watching closely as this technolgy option .will become the standard bearer for all those manufacturers who wish to try and go head to head with BMW..

Their technological advances in this area and areas like this...makes them truly the sports coupe...sports cars and sports sedan leaders .

ALthough I am a Corvette ZO6 owner I hope you guys don't mind that I join the conversation here about BMW's.

I truly admire the execution of such performance icons. (and the BMW guys I have met at local autox's are very cool.)

We all just dig the high performance ..the various choices we make as far as ownership just keeps it interesting...and lends itself to differing perspectives...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sequential shifting is being looked at by all the major companies. JBsC5 may find this particularly interesting as he's a Vette driver (which I was until I lost my '99 C5 coupe in an unplanned road engagement).
A couple of years ago I attended the Bragg-Smith Advanced Driving School in NV (the Corvette driving school). There were a number of Corvette engineers and designers taking the class. A Powertrain engineer said they had bought a Ferrari with the F1 shifter and had been studying it for inclusion of a similar system in upcoming Corvettes. The problem was (is?) reliability. For a mass marketer like GM -- and to a lesser degree BMW -- any transmission has to be as reliable and bulletproof as any automatic currently available. Besides the issues of cost, the reason these trannies are appearing in very high end product is that the companies need experience in determing failures and repairs. As they gather information, they're able to come up with more reliable systems that filter down to the "average" driver. Now of course, no one on this forum is an average driver but BMWs are often purchased by folks with no particular aptitude or interest in performance driving -- heck, they don't even read the handbook. To some degreee sequential shifting requires the driver to re-learn how to shift. It's not a conventional shifter and its not a traditional automatic. So you have to figure there will be some driver "error" as part of the learning curve and the companies need to be able to protect themselves from potential liability (remember the Audi A5 debacle?) by showing that previous drivers in high end or speciality cars didn't have such problems, and that the blown transmission was not because of computer error by rather operator error.
When you consider that even on a sports coupe like the 330CI only 20% come to the US with stick shifts, you realize the potential problems BMW might have introducing SMG to a very large driving population. Of course, if anyone has ever used one of these F1 style transmissions they're instantly transformed into believers. I would've gladly paid a premium to get one on my 330CI if it had been an option. It's truly the best of both worlds. I guess I'll just have to wait for SMG to "trickle" down to the rest of us.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
JBsC5 said:
I had heard that shortly after the M3 SMG II release that the sequential transmission option would become available on all three series..

I believe as early as next year..

The terminolgy bandied about was..."one year after the initial launch!"

I for one believe sequential shifting technology such as BMW is using .whether its with 5 or 6 forward gears and the totally automatic mode option will expand both the sales and the sporting adventure to many more americans.

I for one am watching closely as this technolgy option .will become the standard bearer for all those manufacturers who wish to try and go head to head with BMW..

Their technological advances in this area and areas like this...makes them truly the sports coupe...sports cars and sports sedan leaders .

ALthough I am a Corvette ZO6 owner I hope you guys don't mind that I join the conversation here about BMW's.

I truly admire the execution of such performance icons. (and the BMW guys I have met at local autox's are very cool.)

We all just dig the high performance ..the various choices we make as far as ownership just keeps it interesting...and lends itself to differing perspectives...
Um...Did you even BOTHER reading any of the post in this thread? SMG is ALREADY available across the entire 3 series range. It's just not available EVERYWHERE.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
JBsC5: WOT here, but unlike your sig and profile names, isn't the C5 "z-zero-6" instead of "z-oh-6" as you indictated? It's commonly said aloud otherwise, but in print I believe it's the number zero rather than the letter "o".

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
When discussing..the SMG transmissions availability I meant in the United States of America.

And for the gentlemen asking me how to properly type ZO6..

I don't think it matters but your probably right...I never really thought about it.

Some would say the answer is in the details..and in many ways thats true...yet others would say look at the big picture.

Like I said..its a question of perspective..

Getting back to the topic and discussion..I hope to see BMW and other manufacturers bring sequential shifters to the performance threshold available to the masses.

Heres a list of manufacturers who have made or are making sequential shifters..

Ferrari
Maserati
BMW
Alfa Romeo
Toyota
Saab (failed attempt in europe)
MB

There are probably more..I just can't think of them off the top of my head. So far only BMW, Ferrari and Maserati offer them in the United States..

I believe the new dual clutch type sequential shifting borg warner unit(?) or maybe Getrag with its seamless operation could be on the cutting edge forefront.

Till then..its BMW that in my mind and many of the performance enthusiasts has the best sequential shifting technology..

Like I said...

I believe BMW is moving to import this technology a year after launching the M3 SMG II , slightly decontented and at a lower cost throughout their entire range of three series cars sold in the United States.

Bottomline..its a great idea. Way to go BMW for building the Ultimate Driving Machine.

·
Lead Foot
442 Posts
SMG

I am unfamiliar with the mechanics of SMG. Please excuse my ignorance and tell me how it works.

I ask for the following reason.

My 330ci produced Feb 3rd or so has a Steptronic box. It upshifts like there is a clutch involved. In other words from 2nd to 3rd there is a gulp and than power and so on up through 5th 4th to 5th is less pronounced. I love it, and the sound when in the cockpit is spine tingling. I mentioned this a month or so ago that it gulps between shifts and is likened to varoom, varoom and on.

The 528 I had upshifted smoothly in regular drive and much better in sport position.:angel: :angel: :angel: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Toyota's sequential system is available in the States. MR2 SMT. It's apparently set up as conservatively as the company which mankes the car, so it's not really worth getting. It was actually significantly slower than it's clutched brethren in all performance tests. :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The european panned that Toyota unit as a big loser..

The BMW unit on the other hand is the top technology at the moment..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts