BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The suspension is just a bit too vague for me, but I have no particular desire to shell out $1500 on a car I don't expect to have for more than a couple of years... (Certainly not past warranty expiration.)

Persuade me or dissuade me? :p I intend to install them myself. 90% of the tools I would have to buy anyway (floorjack, jackstands, etc...), so the cost of tools is not important.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Do you have a spring compressor?

And AWD springs are already 20mm shorter to begin with (ride height is from something else, not spring length). What are you gonna put in, rubber washers? :lmao:

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I told you, I don't feel like spending $1500, Nate. :p

And I know the xi has shorter springs. I'm starting to think that I might as well try it. $200-$300 isn't much, anyhow. and most of the tools are needed for swaybars.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kaz said:

Anyone make xi ones that have short enough travel so the halfshafts don't fall out?
H&R for $1500. Which is mor ethan I have any particular desire to spend.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
The suspension is just a bit too vague for me, but I have no particular desire to shell out $1500 on a car I don't expect to have for more than a couple of years... (Certainly not past warranty expiration.)
Nick, if you don't mind my asking, why don't you swap your xiT for an SP equipped RWD wagon? It's not like we need the AWD much around here. I wouldn't have gotten it if not for my wife (and you don't have one of those to worry about yet).

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I'm going to swap my car for another vehicle, it's going to be a new S4 Avant. :p I like the way AWD cars let you hammer the throttle indiscriminately. :D

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
If I'm going to swap my car for another vehicle, it's going to be a new S4 Avant. :p I like the way AWD cars let you hammer the throttle indiscriminately. :D
It can't be that indiscriminate with open differentials and all season tires :dunno: Don't spin any of them?

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nate328Ci said:

It can't be that indiscriminate with open differentials and all season tires :dunno: Don't spin any of them?
Sadly, I have ADB-X, which can't be turned off. But it does fairly effective simulate the feel of the better AWD systems I've driven. I liked the feel of the car the one time I drove it with ADB disabled the hard way... Noticably faster, especially in turns... But I'm NOT goign to give up ABS for a bit of speed. Clutch dropping the WRX into a turn is FUN, though. :D

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:

Sadly, I have ADB-X, which can't be turned off. But it does fairly effective simulate the feel of the better AWD systems I've driven. I liked the feel of the car the one time I drove it with ADB disabled the hard way... Noticably faster, especially in turns... But I'm NOT goign to give up ABS for a bit of speed. Clutch dropping the WRX into a turn is FUN, though. :D
ADB-X cannot be disabled?

The hard way? You didn't take the fuse out, did you? ;)

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nate328Ci said:

ADB-X cannot be disabled?

The hard way? You didn't take the fuse out, did you? ;)
Of course I did. :p five or six of them, actually. :D

Edit: Gosh... 1300th post...

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nate328Ci said:

I can't believe you pulled fueses to do that

I assume some warning lights came on, now you have fault codes saved on your OBC :dunno:
I had to try it. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.