BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find it interesting, that people who are running completely stock Bimmers put the infamous M performance badge on the back of there cars. What qualifies there cars over everyone else's? The M badge is cool, but I feel you have to actually have M performance parts installed in order to put it on your car...anyone else feel the same?

·
Registered
995 Posts
I find it interesting, that people who are running completely stock Bimmers put the infamous M performance badge on the back of there cars. What qualifies there cars over everyone else's? The M badge is cool, but I feel you have to actually have M performance parts installed in order to put it on your car...anyone else feel the same?
My 328i MSport has at least 13 M badges. One on each brake caliper, one on each wheel, one on each door sill, and one on the steering wheel. They are all factory placed.

·
Warning - Thin Air
1,862 Posts
Actually the M badge on the back designates the "M" model (like M3, M5, M Roadster). If the badge on the back is added after it leave the factory then they are a poser and the car is not a real "M" model. Other models will have M badges on the brakes, wheels, steering wheel, etc., but not on the back. These have M performance parts added at the factory or after the car left the factory.

·
Registered
118 Posts
M badge

Agree. The M badge on the back is supposed to be for M cars only. (M3, M4 etc). A 4 series such as a 435i can have M Performance Parts on it (for example M Sport Line with M wheels, unique front bumper/grill to the M Sport Line, etc) however, it is not an "M4" and the rear badge should not be on it. This is for impostors! Not fair to the owners of true "M" cars.

·
Registered
486 Posts
True "Ms" can be found under the "M" section of the BMW USA web site. Others might have M parts but are not true M cars. Cars with M-Sport packages are not M models. Those that put M badges on other than true M models are wannabes.

·
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
9,049 Posts

Regarding M4: After 10 years and 70,000 posts I still haven't seen anyone put an M logo before a 228i except for BMW themselves. I'm not sure where these mythical poseurs live but I haven't seen one. Not a single one. Highways, backroads, high schools, Walmart, never saw one outside of a few suspected Photoshops.

Regarding M-Sport: BMW has created a line that celebrates the M heritage from a design standpoint and a handling standpoint, a car without the 500 HP engine that's more suitable for a daily driver, dubbed it the M-Sport. The only M badges you see on an M-Sport live on the fenders of new 4 Series cars shipped to Europe, Asia, South America, and Bergen County.

BJ

·
Registered
508 Posts
If the car is a true M, then the logo can be placed anywhere the driver wants.

If the car consists of M parts then the M logo should be placed on or near that part (ex Steering wheel, seats, brakes, etc).

If BMW wants to charge 3k and up for an M package, then you have the right to use that M badge otherwise BMW shouldn't use that M title.

If the M badge is located anywhere on a car that may confuse other people into thinking it is an M SERIES,when it is not in fact an M SERIES then thats a problem.

This is my take.

·
Super Moderator
8,102 Posts
If the car is a true M, then the logo can be placed anywhere the driver wants.

If the car consists of M parts then the M logo should be placed on or near that part (ex Steering wheel, seats, brakes, etc).

If BMW wants to charge 3k and up for an M package, then you have the right to use that M badge otherwise BMW shouldn't use that M title.

If the M badge is located anywhere on a car that may confuse other people into thinking it is an M SERIES,when it is not in fact an M SERIES then thats a problem.

This is my take.
I don't see it as a problem, it's up to the owner to make the choice.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I don't see it as a problem, it's up to the owner to make the choice.
^This and I'm with BJ. I've never seen any body do it unless it was on obvious joke on a 20 year old Civic.

To an above poster. I believe the M235 gets one on the back and that isn't a true M car by definition.

OP why do you care? I believe you put on a mod that some think is in poor taste. The door light up badge thing right? Do what you want, it is your car.

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
^This and I'm with BJ. I've never seen any body do it unless it was on obvious joke on a 20 year old Civic.

To an above poster. I believe the M235 gets one on the back and that isn't a true M car by definition.

OP why do you care? I believe you put on a mod that some think is in poor taste. The door light up badge thing right? Do what you want, it is your car.
I've occasionally seen M badges on cars that were obviously not M cars. Why this gets some people upset strikes me as rather silly.

CA

·
Registered
520 Posts
Agree. The M badge on the back is supposed to be for M cars only. (M3, M4 etc). A 4 series such as a 435i can have M Performance Parts on it (for example M Sport Line with M wheels, unique front bumper/grill to the M Sport Line, etc) however, it is not an "M4" and the rear badge should not be on it. This is for impostors! Not fair to the owners of true "M" cars.
Every time used these types of posts I laugh. Not sure why it should bother anyone. It's the persons car to do whatever they like.

The fact that someone putting a fake "M" on their car bothers someone who owns a true M, only proves that true M person purchased it to impress people or to pump up their own ego. How should anyone else's car make it "not fair" to the M owner?

I'm sure most M owners don't care what another person puts on their car, enjoys their M for its great performance, and knows it will take any of the fake M's in a race if need be. I highly doubt anyone looks at a fake M car, gets tricked and thinks "wow he owns an M, he must be a highly successful thrill seeker, I have to meet him!"

If people get a kick out of putting an M wherever they want, no one should care. Should the fact that my M-Sport has an M on the kick plate bother anyone? By definition in this thread, the kick plate probably doesn't classify as an M modified part unlike the brakes and wheel, etc, so why have an M on an average ol' kick plate? I don't know, BMW put it there.

People should just enjoy their own cars, stop thinking that people judge or look up to you based on the car you drive, and just get a chuckle out of another's " fake M", and stop getting bothered by it. These people are coming off more like a "poser" for thinking their "true M" will help their appearance and status in life, than the fake M guys.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I recently switched from a '13 335i to a '15 X3 35i. The X3 is an m-sport. It's black and I got the black license plate holder that has the M logo on it (no model #, of course). I was seriously gun-shy about putting it on, due to the constant debate over this topic. I can't imagine anyone would think I'm trying to trick people into thinking I'm driving a true M, particularly since one doesn't exist in X3 form. It's honestly because the logo is cool, I love BMW, it looks good on the car and it's way better than advertising the dealer. I would like to own a true M someday, but there isn't one yet that works for me. The future X3M could be it (though I know there are M owners that think any X series can never be a true M). Anyway, I fully support what BJ did, since that is the Eurospec. Same is true for the X3 according to the configurator, actually.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I think it is up to the BMW factory to place badges and otherwise design their cars to attract buyers. Similarly the individual can decide how to modify the car that they own in ways that give them enjoyment. We buy these sporty cars to have fun. Just try to enjoy your car for the features it has and don't get too hung up on the way others choose to customize theirs.

·
Registered
918 Posts
It used to be reserved for the top of the line performance, now just a sign of marketing... BMW realized the M meant something to people and a certain perceived value above and beyond BMW itself like AMG was to Mercedes. Old school BMW enthusiast frown upon it when it is not a true "M" car. It's your car. You paid a lot of money for it. Put whatever your heart desires on it. But back to your question, the M use to be only reserved to the highest performance model of each series and not just cosmetic differences. Hence the terms M3, M5, M6..

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
It used to be reserved for the top of the line performance, now just a sign of marketing... BMW realized the M meant something to people and a certain perceived value above and beyond BMW itself like AMG was to Mercedes. Old school BMW enthusiast frown upon it when it is not a true "M" car. It's your car. You paid a lot of money for it. Put whatever your heart desires on it. But back to your question, the M use to be only reserved to the highest performance model of each series and not just cosmetic differences. Hence the terms M3, M5, M6..
The M badge has always been about marketing the BMW brand and convincing buyers to part with a goodly sum of money for a higher performance car.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The M badge has always been about marketing the BMW brand and convincing buyers to part with a goodly sum of money for a higher performance car.
It was a completely separate line before. There were cosmetic differences and above all performance differences. The "M-Sport" is purely cosmetic now and wears the M badges as some say 11-13 of them. The brakes with the M on them are no different than the ones that come unpainted on the 335, just painted. The suspension is the same as the sport line, etc etc etc...

There still is a huge difference in the amount of car from M-sport to the real M though both performance and cosmetic. Of course everything companies do is about marketing, but the M is no longer reserved for the elite cars of the brand. I don't fault them for doing it. It's a great strategy from a business perspective. You build an elite brand up and have it tease and trickle into the mainstream product.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
actually the m badge on the back designates the "m" model (like m3, m5, m roadster). If the badge on the back is added after it leave the factory then they are a poser and the car is not a real "m" model. Other models will have m badges on the brakes, wheels, steering wheel, etc., but not on the back. These have m performance parts added at the factory or after the car left the factory.
+1

1 - 20 of 345 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.