Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 2005 x5 3.0i with m54 engine, and I was wondering what automotive tools are required to replace the entire belt and pulley system on the car. My car makes really bad squeaking noise and I noticed that my serpentine belt has worn out significantly, plus one of the top pulleys seemed to have broke off or is missing. Once I noticed the squeaking noise on startup and that one of the pulleys was missing, I immediately stopped driving the car at all because I know I can cause further damage by driving it. Pls help me know which tools I need to buy and how to do the job because I really don***8217;t know.

·
Registered
15,152 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I right now have 96 thousand miles. I***8217;m considering about doing cooling overhaul, but first I wanna change out both belts and pulleys. Is it ok to change out all pulleys at once? I could order the whole kit. I don***8217;t have any tools and was wondering if the tools are expensive for the job.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Basic tools that you already have will do... You may need a torx set... I changed mine with basic tools... Easily done...
I have faith

·
Registered
199 Posts
Do you have a mechanical fan attached to your water pump? This might perhaps hinder you from doing the job without a proper tool to remove it. My suggestion would be to look your car over to assess what will need to be removed as per all the great resources of information contained within this forum. Many people have successfully became DIY mechanics simply by diving in and searching the forums. The job is very simple and will be a great introduction to starting you own repairs and learning the process of not only searching for your answers but gaining the knowledge and confidence to do the job.

·
Registered
821 Posts
For this job you'll want a basic set of socket wrenches, torx sockets, and a fan removal tool. The fan removal tool makes life easier than what many others suggest and that's to put a wrench on the nut and smack the wrench with a hammer. The special tool allows you to stop the water pump from turning and makes it easier to loosen the fan nut (it's a left hand thread by the way). Lastly and most importantly you need to get a Bentley manual or you can reference newtis.info, except I find the Bentley more informative. It's not a difficult job, but you do need some basic tools as noted above.

While you have it apart I would replace the pulleys that are bad only. Likely the tensioner and idler pulleys. It's unlikely you'll need to replace the power steering pump pulley or the AC pulley. You might need to replace the AC tensioner pulley, but I doubt it. Take a good look at your tensioner as it may need to be replaced, although if you're handy you can rebuild it with a new piston and bearings which is what i did.

As others have said, if you are going to take apart enough to replace pulleys and you have nearly 100k miles, it's time for at least a partial cooling system refresh. New water pump, thermostat and hoses. Look very closely at your expansion tank as these usually let go around your mileage. Sometimes spectacularly, or if you're lucky they just crack and leak instead of explode.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts