Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
X5 40e service action

An issues with BMW's programming on the X5 40e has resulted in more than a few engine replacements from my source is telling me. If you have a X5 40e produced between July 6, 2015 to June 9, 2017 get this service action done quick.

Affected BMWs
This BMW Service Action involves F15 X5 40es produced from July 6, 2015 to June 9, 2017. BMW X5s which require this Service Action to be completed will show it as “Open” when checked either in AIR, the "Service Menu" of the Dealer Communication System or with the Key Reader.

Situation
When the combustion engine starts while driving, the higher load (torque demand) may cause pre-ignition (super knocking). This could result in the engine becoming noisy or having internal damage.

Cause
Unfavorable DME software

Correction
Update the DME software

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,013 Posts
Wow. 2 years of production affected by this?! That's a pretty big deal!

·
Registered
52 Posts
X5 40e service action

An issues with BMW's programming on the X5 40e has resulted in more than a few engine replacements from my source is telling me. If you have a X5 40e produced between July 6, 2015 to June 9, 2017 get this service action done quick.

Affected BMWs

This BMW Service Action involves F15 X5 40es produced from July 6, 2015 to June 9, 2017. BMW X5s which require this Service Action to be completed will show it as “Open” when checked either in AIR, the "Service Menu" of the Dealer Communication System or with the Key Reader.

Situation

When the combustion engine starts while driving, the higher load (torque demand) may cause pre-ignition (super knocking). This could result in the engine becoming noisy or having internal damage.

Cause

Unfavorable DME software

Correction

Update the DME software

Didn't receive any message from
BMW yet but thanks for the info!
Is this a specific recall or is the update performed during a regular visit?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
740 Posts
Well, I don't feel special anymore. Nor do I feel quite as freaked-out. I've been doing some googling, and it looks like the treatments for this kind of thing have been well understood by our Mini John Cooper Works (JCW) and Groupe PSA friends. They seem to get a lot of coking and super knock w/ BMW small engines.

Seems to me one obvious treatment (hint, hint, BMW....) is to add the G30's software to the iDrive in the F15, so you can program 10%, 20%, etc. target battery reserves. More reserve (i.e., more electric torque) means less ICE torque is needed, right?

I've also been using this stuff:

"Red Line Complete SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner - 15 Ounce"

Anybody care to offer an opinion on that?

I'll probably get more aggressive with my oil change intervals now, too.

·
Bimmerless
1,075 Posts
Just received my notice for this in the mail. My dealer is about 3.5 weeks out if I want a loaner, so I guess it will have to wait a bit.

I assume re-programming the DME is going to wipe out my coding? I suppose I will need to do a backup of my coding change files so I can re-store everything afterwards. Maybe I should try the anti-dazzle programming this time around??? :dunno:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Just got my notice. Interestingly, the following happened today over in Tesla-land:

http://insideevs.com/tesla-unlocks-full-ludicrous-power-after-small-claims-court-filing-model-s-owner/

Tesla decided to reduce power on cars already in the possession of owners, in order to increase reliability. Tesla was sued, and lost. Perhaps more accurately, they reversed course - so it's not clear to me whether this creates precedent (in US case law). It certainly creates a norm that manufacturers cannot just change the firmware to reduce power, without chafing against the legal system. So I'm curious what this BMW thing really does.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anyone experience reduced EV battery after the fix? There're active conversations on FB groups where a few owners have reported their EV battery % drops much quicker than before the fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just got my car back from the dealer after having this TSB completed.
I did lose all of my coding so I restored those.
I don't notice any difference yet in battery life or engine. Will keep a look out and report back if I notice anything.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
740 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised to lose battery range. If I'm reading this correctly, then the entire point is to unleash MORE torque from the electric motor, while easing the ICE torque from a cold start. That will likely increase gasoline MPG of any high-thrust starts, but will decrease battery range. If the firmware is, in effect, investing more battery down low, then I'd expect that outcome. If battery range is reduced from the same battery, that merely means more twist is going into the tires from the ZF tranny (i.e., directly from the battery). No biggie. Some might regard that as preferable.

However, my concern would be that the car is actually hobbled. Put differently, my concern would be that this is the opposite of a race-chip: that BMW has de-tuned the ICE engine with re-coding, in order to extend the life of the giubo flex-disc and to reduce the effect of a potentially carbonized lifter/intake arrangement, so maintenance happens after 48,000 miles, and with reduced power from what was originally sold.

In sum: reduced battery range is fine. It's only going into the road as torque anyways. But reduced power is nothing like fine - it'd be both sneaky and quite un-BMW. I'll be very curious how the seat-of-the-pants feels after my official BMW re-tune.

How's yours?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Got my DME flashed this week. Not impressed. Throttle response does indeed feel attenuated to me. If I try to describe it, it's like the horsepower is still there, but much of the torque is gone. Maybe it's placebo effect? Maybe the weather? Hard to say scientifically without a control group or dyno, but I mashed my accelerator literally to the floor for at least half a second at 40 MPH in "Sport" (shifter left) and had absolutely nothing happen. Kick-down doesn't throw me back in the seat anymore. Starts off the line feel much slower. I'll try some other temps and battery states. But so far, my first impressions are decidedly bad. Is it just me?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Got my DME flashed this week. Not impressed. Throttle response does indeed feel attenuated to me. If I try to describe it, it's like the horsepower is still there, but much of the torque is gone. Maybe it's placebo effect? Maybe the weather? Hard to say scientifically without a control group or dyno, but I mashed my accelerator literally to the floor for at least half a second at 40 MPH in "Sport" (shifter left) and had absolutely nothing happen. Kick-down doesn't throw me back in the seat anymore. Starts off the line feel much slower. I'll try some other temps and battery states. But so far, my first impressions are decidedly bad. Is it just me?
Got mine done yesterday. The only thing I noticed immediately was that the kick-in of the engine seemed a bit smoother a bit more 'refined' which would gel with the ambition of the flashing to alter ignition timing (I assume specifically) when the engine kicks in under load.

That said I didn't gun it, so I'll have to try this to see if I am getting as drastic as a change as you - I sincerely hope not...

UPDATE; I have had a few days driving time now since the reflash. I would stand by my earlier statement of the manner in which the engine kicks in being smoother, and once the engine has warmed a little, it really is about imperceptible, it was barely noticeable before, but now honestly you can't tell unless under a hard load. I think the torque curve has been rounded a little bit also making overall acceleration feel slightly more 'curved' and less linear. I don't think its any slower, but I think the power is a bit more modulated in delivery. If this is right, it would also seem to gel with the issue of reducing the chance of engine knock which I believe is a symptom of non-optimal ignition timing and also high compression, but I am far from an expert.

Overall I am content with it, I didn't buy it for outright performance and isn't that type of vehicle. I would say that the difference to me in 'feel' is 5% or less and again seems to more add some smoothness not reduction in output.

@guyinacar, BMW also 'learn' your driving style and I would bet that this was wiped during the reflash so that may be having an impact also.

Now, if I only I could get my Apps working again....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Updated 40e and while I have yet to floor it on the freeway, I do agree with both assessments that torque feels attenuated during take offs with a resulting smoother launch. Maybe too early to tell, but I actually preferred the previous behavior.

Will report back after I get in some test time. Any new updates from others post-service flash update?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just had the firmware updated last week. From driving my usual suburban routes I cannot say I notice much performance difference. The one thing I did notice is that the ICE seems to more readily fire up when the engine is cold and also stay running a bit longer. It's possible I'm not noticing much differences because my usual driving habit is to put the car in Sport on cold start and warm up the ICE for at least 5-10 mins before switching to Auto eDrive.

The following is pure guessing on my part, but I'm wondering out aloud if the issues with the X5 40e is related to carbon buildup in the intake valves and cylinders. In the earlier days of direct injection a few manufacturers (notably BMW and Audi) had issues with carbon fouling engines. Unlike port injection, with DI there is no fuel constantly washing over the intake valve parts. Symptoms included poor running and misfires.

We have a MINI where this led to BMW rebuilding the engine at 40K miles and replacing the engine at 75K miles. The BMW "fix" was to implement regular walnut shell blasting to clean off the intake valves every 10K miles (at customer cost).

Has anyone here examined their intake valves for carbon?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
Few weeks ago, I got alert to change the oil, Before I could get to the service control ,my engine became noisy and have internal damage. I had found this issues Service Action for F15 X5 40es but in service center I was told that my problem occured becouse I didn't change the oil. What should I do? Despite the fact that I was not informed abount the service request.
Thanks
Igor

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,013 Posts
Hello,
Few weeks ago, I got alert to change the oil, Before I could get to the service control ,my engine became noisy and have internal damage. I had found this issues Service Action for F15 X5 40es but in service center I was told that my problem occured becouse I didn't change the oil. What should I do? Despite the fact that I was not informed abount the service request.
Thanks
Igor
Was it an alert to change the oil or an alert that your oil level was low?

Does your car fall within the production range of the service action? If so, you could call BMW and sort it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Service Action for F15 X5 40es produced from July 6, 2015 to June 9, 2017

Hello,

I got an alert : engine oil service. In our BMW service told us that the problem is because delay in service. My car fall within the production range of the service actionin. If the oil was changed in time , I had delay 3500 miles on 3rd engine oil service. My quastion is can the engine had internal demage becouse it , and BMW must take responsibilty on this case? Or they can reject the warranty ? I didn't metion my car is on warranty until september this year.

Regards,
Igor

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts