Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a dealership's service center for the first time to get schedule maintenance done and the advisor asked for the car's registration card, which I had to walk back outside to get. I thought it was annoying at the time but didn't think too much of it. Has anyone had an advisor ask for the registration?

·
Registered
12,341 Posts
The only time dealer asked for my registration was parts desk giving a quote for a replacement key.

Was the key fob not presented to SA for key read? If so SA probably needed registration to get VIN info.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Since it was your first time, maybe he wanted to get the correct ownership info (legal owner, address, tag #) for their database. Did you buy the car there?

If you're not familiar with BMW"s, the car's VIN, odometer reading, and who the Hell knows what else is stored in the key fob. The service writers have a reader that they drop the key fob in to retrieve the information.

·
Registered
12,341 Posts
Since it was your first time, maybe he wanted to get the correct ownership info (legal owner, address, tag #) for their database. Did you buy the car there?

If you're not familiar with BMW"s, the car's VIN, odometer reading, and who the Hell knows what else is stored in the key fob. The service writers have a reader that they drop the key fob in to retrieve the information.
One possible scenario is that the key fob shows previous owner info.

In that case, dealer needs new registration to update owner's info.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,498 Posts
OPie***8217;s next previous post was four years ago.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,054 Posts
I went to a dealership's service center for the first time to get schedule maintenance done and the advisor asked for the car's registration card, which I had to walk back outside to get. I thought it was annoying at the time but didn't think too much of it. Has anyone had an advisor ask for the registration?
All the time.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Never for any of the new cars I've bought. For the BMW I've just driven up to the service section at the dealer I bought the car from and handed them the key.

Is the dealer in a dicey area?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I get asked for it for loaners, but also for when I have the vehicle for the State Emissions and Inspection tests (PA). I believe they need to verify that you are the owner of the vehicle when performing those tests.

·
Registered
15 Posts
they should be able to read the key and get all the info they need

1 - 13 of 13 Posts