BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to let folks know, and not every dealership may do this, but I had to have my instrument cluster replaced by my local dealer because of a failed fuel gauge and they had to reprogram my car's software. This dealer is a Dinan shop, so I figured if they had to reflash to factory, they could flash up to the Dinan. This isn't the case. They are now not allowed to install Dinan or re-install any Dinan software at the dealership. I confirmed this with the other dealership in my area.

It just means we'll have to visit our Dinan authorized shops that are not part of dealerships, but I just wanted to alert folks if they have service to double check in the event their Dinan authorized shop is far away.

·
Registered
369 Posts
What are you saying? BMW dealer can not install Dinan on your car now?

Does that mean all BMW dealers that are also Dinan dealers can no longer install Dinan on the cars, and we have to go to independent Dinan dealers that are not also BMW dealerships? That surely can't be can it? Please clarify.:dunno:

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does that mean all BMW dealers that are also Dinan dealers can no longer install Dinan on the cars, and we have to go to independent Dinan dealers that are not also BMW dealerships? That surely can't be can it? Please clarify.:dunno:
My 2 dealerships will no longer replace the software nor will they install the software. You will have to call your local dealership to see if they are going to obey the SIB from BMWNA related to the emissions issues. I'm not going to call any more dealerships, but I just spoke to my local Dinan shop and they assured me they will replace the software each and every time it's erased. I plan to wait until the Dinan update around May 10.

·
BigTime Defender
337 Posts
Sounds like its part of that warranty release that came out in the other thread.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I really don't care, but it is ridiculous especially if they sold the tune to you.

Damn, I got my tune from a non-bmw dealer so :flipoff: to them, I'll go back to that shop, and if something breaks, then I will go to that shop. Now that said, its still ridiculous that a BMW dealer who was a Dinan dealers now all of a sudden wont update a tune they sold is just lame. :spank: and inexplicable. First BMW was ambiguous, and now come out with a policy like this? What they should say is no new flashes by BMW dealers but they will honor what they sold. Something wrong with that. Anyhow that C63 AMG isn't looking so bad as an alternative. BMW 335s are selling like hot cakes because they have this tunability. CoughCough.. well BMW makes its own bed and soon may it lay in it!:mad: You know other companies will soon start turbo charging their cars, and soon there will be choices galore, and if I can't tune my BMW turbo, I WILL GO OVER SLEEP WITH THE ENEMY. :bigpimp: I mean look at the Infiniti G35 and G37. Close NA as they are. Throw in a turbo and yet get the idea. Asta la vista 3-series.:D

·
Ultimate Driving Machine
2,208 Posts
Interesting...so much for that much touted 'close relationship' between BMW and Dinan that has been spewed so many times on this board. :rolleyes:

·
Flying monkey herder
8,170 Posts
it looks like the rumors are true.

one of the ones floating around is that the new MSD81 ecu in march 08 and newer cars cannot be tuned because bmw wont give dinan the keys to sign the software. and that dinan got the keys for the MSD80 through unofficial channels

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn, I got my tune from a non-bmw dealer so :flipoff: to them, I'll go back to that shop, and if something breaks, then I will go to that shop. Now that said, its still ridiculous that a BMW dealer who was a Dinan dealers now all of a sudden wont update a tune they sold is just lame. :spank: and inexplicable. First BMW was ambiguous, and now come out with a policy like this? What they should say is no new flashes by BMW dealers but they will honor what they sold. Something wrong with that. Anyhow that C63 AMG isn't looking so bad as an alternative. BMW 335s are selling like hot cakes because they have this tunability. CoughCough.. well BMW makes its own bed and soon may it lay in it!:mad: You know other companies will soon start turbo charging their cars, and soon there will be choices galore, and if I can't tune my BMW turbo, I WILL GO OVER SLEEP WITH THE ENEMY. :bigpimp: I mean look at the Infiniti G35 and G37. Close NA as they are. Throw in a turbo and yet get the idea. Asta la vista 3-series.:D
I didn't obtain the software from the dealer, I just had it serviced there and they never had an issue with it before, probably because they never had to reflash the DME previously. He said there would be no restrictions to having it reflashed by a Dinan shop, which is no skin off my back as they are 2 miles from my house.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If your in CA the carb laws my be the reason or they have been warned by someone. When it is certified with the May 10th release then you should be okay. The other stuff is speculation.

Orb

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good catch Orb, of it is not CARB approved then it cannot be sold in CA, isn't that the jist of BMW's concern, emissions.

If you don't have CARB ruling your state or province all things should be fine.

·
Registered
376 Posts
If your in CA the carb laws my be the reason or they have been warned by someone. When it is certified with the May 10th release then you should be okay. The other stuff is speculation.

Orb
Good catch Orb, of it is not CARB approved then it cannot be sold in CA, isn't that the jist of BMW's concern, emissions.

If you don't have CARB ruling your state or province all things should be fine.
+1 to both of those.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Interesting...so much for that much touted 'close relationship' between BMW and Dinan that has been spewed so many times on this board. :rolleyes:
I don't care how close their relationship is. The warranty offered by Dinan is still there.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Why do you guys think the Dinan tune isn't CARB approved? You wouldn't be able to buy it here if it weren't. At least, I don't think the dealers would sell it. Anyway, I am pretty sure it's 50 state legal, just like their cold air intake and superchargers have been in the past.

I am guessing it's b/c the OP didn't have the dealer install it in the first place.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I don't care how close their relationship is. The warranty offered by Dinan is still there.
Sure, but what happens when BMW says this problem is related to the flash and Dinan says no it's not and neither warranty will cover it. Sure you might eventually get it covered but until you work it out - what do you do? :eek:

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why do you guys think the Dinan tune isn't CARB approved? You wouldn't be able to buy it here if it weren't. At least, I don't think the dealers would sell it. Anyway, I am pretty sure it's 50 state legal, just like their cold air intake and superchargers have been in the past.

I am guessing it's b/c the OP didn't have the dealer install it in the first place.
The flash isn't CARB certified, it's going through the process now and has been before it was released. Non CARB doesn't mean it can't be bought, but you are responsible for it passing smog. I bought shorty headers for my mustang a year before they were CARB certified. The Dinan site says 49 state legal, they are waiting for CARB to come through, and you are right, my dealership didn't do my Dinan, I have a local shop 2 miles from my house and they are superb.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sure, but what happens when BMW says this problem is related to the flash and Dinan says no it's not and neither warranty will cover it. Sure you might eventually get it covered but until you work it out - what do you do? :eek:
I don't think my dealership would do that, especially if they ever wanted to have me as a customer again.

That is something I think everyone forgets, these companies, both Dinan and BMW, would generally like to KEEP people as customers. I have bought both a 335i and a 750Li from my dealership within one year, I think they'd like to keep my business.

If either BMW or Dinan made a living to screw people out of warranty work, do you think that people would still actually buy their products?

Dinan just provided me a brand new $3,000 oil cooler to replace a defective one, with no griping whatsoever. The parts were paid for, the labor that my BMW dealer provided was paid for. I am QUITE confident they (Dinan) will stand behind their promise.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
The flash isn't CARB certified, it's going through the process now and has been before it was released. Non CARB doesn't mean it can't be bought, but you are responsible for it passing smog. I bought shorty headers for my mustang a year before they were CARB certified. The Dinan site says 49 state legal, they are waiting for CARB to come through, and you are right, my dealership didn't do my Dinan, I have a local shop 2 miles from my house and they are superb.
That's disturbing . . . I though they had obtained approval and just hadn't updated thier website. Oh well. It will be awhile before I am interested anyway, so I am sure it wil be cleared up before I am ready for the download.

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
587 Posts
I just talked to my SA yesterday at SFBMW and he said they stopped Dinan altogether... Some excuse that the manager wasn't pleased with the tune or something... but I call BS on that one. It looks like all BMW dealership are dumping this and if they void out the warranty because of the proceed issues etc. I'll slap a lawsuit so fast on BMW they'll have to buy my car back. This is utter BS. They encouraged BMW owners to buy into the Dinan product at their dealerships... but now that there are problems we're screwed and have to work with Dinan directly. Sounds like a class action lawsuit is needed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts