BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2009 335i Sedan with Sports Package. Tonight when I started our car the Service Engine Soon light came on on the dashboard. We have had our 335i since mid March, and have only 6300 miles on the odometer. I was quite surprised to see this message come up. As you all know, the normal BMW service is one year or 15,000 miles whichever comes first. Has anyone had this light come on so early in the Mileage or months that they have had a new 335i ? The car runs great , and we love every mile we drive in it. We previously had a 2006 330i which we turned in to BMW of San Diego in March. I look forward to hearing from all you 'Festers. You are always great with advice and suggestions. I plan on calling my SA on Monday am, but I would appreciate any insight from my fellow 3ers. Enjoy the rest of all your weekend.:thumbup: Thanks in advance for your input.:)

·
driving a D around RTP
536 Posts
Do you know your build date?
Is the first one year interval based on build date, in service date (whatever that means), purchase date?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thans Fellow Fester

Do you know your build date?
Is the first one year interval based on build date, in service date (whatever that means), purchase date?
The build date was mid January 2009. But we didn't pick it up till March 21st 2009. So it should be March 2010 or 15,000 miles. It should be based on when we took delivery of the 2009 335i. Good Questions. Thank you.:thumbup:

·
NHTSA Nazi
351 Posts
The Service Engine Soon (SES) light has nothing to do with regular maintenance.

The SES light generally indicates a catalytic converter/O2 sensor malfunction and requires a trip to the dealer. If you are experiencing long cranks with your 335, then the SES light may be an additional indicator of an impending HPFP failure.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
The Service Engine Soon (SES) light has nothing to do with regular maintenance.

The SES light generally indicates a catalytic converter/O2 sensor malfunction and requires a trip to the dealer. If you are experiencing long cranks with your 335, then the SES light may be an additional indicator of an impending HPFP failure.
The SES light illuminating can indicate much more than a catalytic converter/O2 sensor malfunction.

Magic 8 Ball says a visit to the dealer is in the OPs future.

·
Skjoni's Dad
1,733 Posts
I doubt it's the hpfp. I'm on my third, and each time there were hesitations, shuddering, and long cranks before the SES came on. However, my SES came on once when a gas attendent didn't screw the cap on tight enough. In fact, that was the first thing the dealer told me to check when I called.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem Solved

I doubt it's the hpfp. I'm on my third, and each time there were hesitations, shuddering, and long cranks before the SES came on. However, my SES came on once when a gas attendent didn't screw the cap on tight enough. In fact, that was the first thing the dealer told me to check when I called.
Thanks everyone for all the great input. I stopped by my dealer BMW of San Diego today and my SA was working. I described the problem to him. He asked if I had bought gas recently , which I hadn't. However , I had just got my car handwashed , and right after that the light went on. We concluded when one of the washers was drying my car, he opend the gas cap area and must have loosened it while drying inside. I went out tightened the gas cap and no more light coming on. What relief.. Happy motoring all:thumbup:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Change your oil. If you have this message, BMW should do it under warranty. Even so, changing it will give you some piece of mind. This is a new engine and changing your oil at "mid point" is a good idea anyway. New engines, even those produced today, will shed some debris as they "break in". Getting this junk out of your oil and filter is well worthwhile, especially if you plan to keep your car beyond 50K miles.
I had a Blackstone oil analysis on BMW synthetic with about 6K miles and it was "still good" but the additives were down and according to them, I would have probably needed to change oil by about 7500 miles. People leasing cars could probably care less, but anyone wanting to keep their Beemer for many years are nuts to go 15K plus miles between oil changes. It is CHEAP to change it compared to replacing your engine.

·
Member BMWCCA NM Chapter
70 Posts
I had this happen to me when I was driving home from the Performance Center. I called my salesman and he had me check the gas cap. It was fine. The next morning the light was still on so I stopped at a BMW dealer in Tallahassee. The service guy there told me it was one of three things. 1) Loose gas cap. 2) leaving your key in the ignition during fueling or 3) something more serious (in which case I should take it to my dealer when I got home). He said leaving the key in the ignition during fueling does not turn off all the electronics and messes up a sensor in the fuel tank. It takes a couple of restarts for everyting to recycle. When I started the car after talking to the dealer, the light was gone. Needles to say, I always remove the key when I refuel.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,173 Posts
Change your oil. If you have this message, BMW should do it under warranty. Even so, changing it will give you some piece of mind. This is a new engine and changing your oil at "mid point" is a good idea anyway. New engines, even those produced today, will shed some debris as they "break in". Getting this junk out of your oil and filter is well worthwhile, especially if you plan to keep your car beyond 50K miles.
I had a Blackstone oil analysis on BMW synthetic with about 6K miles and it was "still good" but the additives were down and according to them, I would have probably needed to change oil by about 7500 miles. People leasing cars could probably care less, but anyone wanting to keep their Beemer for many years are nuts to go 15K plus miles between oil changes. It is CHEAP to change it compared to replacing your engine.
incorrect. Service Engine Soon has nothing to do with the oil change. its an actual engine fault.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,989 Posts
I had this happen to me when I was driving home from the Performance Center. I called my salesman and he had me check the gas cap. It was fine. The next morning the light was still on so I stopped at a BMW dealer in Tallahassee. The service guy there told me it was one of three things. 1) Loose gas cap. 2) leaving your key in the ignition during fueling or 3) something more serious (in which case I should take it to my dealer when I got home). He said leaving the key in the ignition during fueling does not turn off all the electronics and messes up a sensor in the fuel tank. It takes a couple of restarts for everyting to recycle. When I started the car after talking to the dealer, the light was gone. Needles to say, I always remove the key when I refuel.
Interesting. I just got my E90 and I've been leaving the fob in the slot. I guess I should stop doing that.

incorrect. Service Engine Soon has nothing to do with the oil change. its an actual engine fault.
Actually, it's an emissions system fault.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,173 Posts
Interesting. I just got my E90 and I've been leaving the fob in the slot. I guess I should stop doing that.

not 100% sure that that is the case.... when my HPFP went out, it lit the half engine light and SES light.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,989 Posts
not 100% sure that that is the case.... when my HPFP went out, it lit the half engine light and SES light.
That's because when your car went into limp mode it affected the performance of the emissions system.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts

Have you been getting SES lights? I am a bit skeptical of the claim that leaving the key in the 'ignition' while the car is being fueled is the reason for the SES light.... When I had the E93, I would refuel it with the key/fob in its slot and never got the SES light.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,989 Posts
Have you been getting SES lights? I am a bit skeptical of the claim that leaving the key in the 'ignition' while the car is being fueled is the reason for the SES light.... When I had the E93, I would refuel it with the key/fob in its slot and never got the SES light.
Nope, no SES lights yet. Are you implying a BMW SA might tell someone something that wasn't really true? ;)

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Um wow........your 3rd HPFP........ :tsk:

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
My SES light came on yesterday afternoon when I started to go home. It stayed on the trip home, I restarted twice to reset and it stayed on. So I read the manual. Has something to do with emissions.

This morning it was still on, I restarted again. double checked my filler cap, which seemed to be snug, but I re-snugged it. SES still on all the way to work.

Went on line with dealer to schedule an appointment, they had none available at a early or late hour this week or next, and worse they did not have the 335d even listed as an option for model!:dunno:

Started up to head home, perhaps swing by the dealer near my home and drop this thing off, and no more SES light?:dunno:

Day before I had the warning for an exterior light being out, it was my right front turn signal. It lasted for a day and then went away as well. Light works find.

Must be some Gremlins!;)

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
Nope, no SES lights yet. Are you implying a BMW SA might tell someone something that wasn't really true? ;)
Well, that kind of depends on the SA. I have had the experience of dealing with an SA that didn't want to be bothered with the E93's water leaks ("all convertibles leak water") and I have had a SA who was on the problem to the end (when BMW repurchased the car). Needless to say, I am having my 335d service done by the SA who was trying to resolve the E93's water leaks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts