BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I was driving two days ago and the "service engine soon" light came on the dash. I pulled out the manual and it said that it's an emissions fault. I called my service dept to make an appt but it takes 5 weeks to get an appt. with them. I asked if driving around like this will damage my car and they said no. Now, I would like to follow that up with your opinion. I don't know much about this problem nor do i know much about anything when it comes to this stuff so any help and guidance would be appreciated! Thanks, Cliff:)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Same thing happened to me only my car also started to idle really rough and had trouble accelerating. It actually went away the next day but the light stayed on. My service rep. also told me that it was ok to drive it untill I got a chance to get in to them. It turned out that I had burned some bad gas that caused a "one time misfire". After that everything was fine... :)

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Back in the Toadfly days the most common reason for the SES coming on was a loose gas cap.

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
When mine lit up, it was a bad camshaft position sensor. I was part of the OBD-2 scan software group buy a while back... was able to figure out what the problem was long before my dealer appointment (which took like 2 weeks).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts