BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I like to make my post today about my "Service Engine Soon" light on I have a device that reads error codes and it reported the following codes: P0492, P0491, and P1620. Please let me know what all these means. Thanks.

A.V.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Hi,

I like to make my post today about my "Service Engine Soon" light on I have a device that reads error codes and it reported the following codes: P0492, P0491, and P1620. Please let me know what all these means. Thanks.

A.V.
Had the same problem, " Service Engine Soon ", a few weeks ago and the dealer put in a new sensor for the air filter,now everything is fine.
Just curious, what are you going to do when you find out what the code numbers mean. For the most part they are only a dealer fix.
Good luck
cheers
vern

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi,
A.V.
Hi abel. Checked my Bentley book (good thing to have if you do any of your own work) it has some of the codes in it:
P0492 is secondary air injection system insufficient flow bank 2
P0491 is secondary air injection system insufficient flow bank 1
P1620 is not listed in my book.

I don't know what the secondary air injection system is, other than it is part of the emission control system. I have the impression, from my Bentley book, that it was only fitted to some of the 2.5 liter cars to meet California emission control requirements. If that is true it should be covered under the emission control warranty which for California cars is 150K miles or 15 years. The federal emission control warranty is 100K miles or 10 years. So take it to the dealer and make them fix it for free.

I have assumed your 325i is an E46 (1999 to 2005), if it is not some of the information I gave you my not be accurate.

·
Retired Official Welcomer
8,310 Posts
Welcome aboard. :hi: You have been officially welcomed to the 'Fest. :thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts