BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
suramach
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2001 530i - for the last one week the Service Engine Soon light is on. I tightened the gasolene tank cap 3 times but it wont go off. Any ideas? Should I take it to a mechanic?

thanks

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
You need to get your codes read. Go to the dealer and pay $100+ or go to Autozone and get it done for free. Or get a Peake (it'll be the best $100 you ever spend as it will pay for itself the first time you use it).

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
Look again, the OP is from California...Autozone and non-certified automotive-mechanical vendors were ordered to cease and desist from reading OBD II codes for free...it was interfering with the livelihood of auto mechanics etc. yada, yada, yada. The Cali residents must find an independent auto mechanic or a dealership or some type of certified auto mechanic to read their codes IF they don't have their own OBD II reading equipment. :(

Hope that crap ends at the border...or at least stays west of the Rockies! :mad:

·
True BMW Enthusiast
174 Posts
I have 2001 530i - for the last one week the Service Engine Soon light is on. I tightened the gasolene tank cap 3 times but it wont go off. Any ideas? Should I take it to a mechanic?

thanks
could be any one of a thousand things,, or just a fluke idiot light warning... but dont leave it
do yourself a favour bro, buy a carsoft off ebay for 19.99 + shipping
you can do anything with it, reset everything, check codes etc..

check this thread out:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337854

·
Registered
414 Posts
Buy a $25 generic code reader first, if that doens't work then consider a peake. My cheapy reads BMW codes just fine and is perfectly accurate.

·
True BMW Enthusiast
174 Posts
could be any one of a thousand things,, or just a fluke idiot light warning... but dont leave it
do yourself a favour bro, buy a carsoft off ebay for 19.99 + shipping
you can do anything with it, reset everything, check codes etc..

check this thread out:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337854
Buy a $25 generic code reader first, if that doens't work then consider a peake. My cheapy reads BMW codes just fine and is perfectly accurate.
i should have elaberated on the carsoft thing for 20 bucks..
check out this one for example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260357547306

comes with all cables, adapters, software, everything, all you need is a laptop

·
Registered
790 Posts
Look again, the OP is from California...Autozone and non-certified automotive-mechanical vendors were ordered to cease and desist from reading OBD II codes for free...it was interfering with the livelihood of auto mechanics etc. yada, yada, yada. The Cali residents must find an independent auto mechanic or a dealership or some type of certified auto mechanic to read their codes IF they don't have their own OBD II reading equipment. :(

Hope that crap ends at the border...or at least stays west of the Rockies! :mad:
Sorry Q - They've been told to cease and desist in Colorado also.

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
Sorry Q - They've been told to cease and desist in Colorado also.
(read in the voice of John Wayne)

Ahhh shucks....don't like the sound of that. Maybe it's time to round up a posse and head off these scallywags at the Miss'sippi. We don't need none of that west coast "nanny state" non-sense affecting the way we do bin'ness in these here parts! :mad:

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
(read in the voice of John Wayne)

Ahhh shucks....don't like the sound of that. Maybe it's time to round up a posse and head off these scallywags at the Miss'sippi. We don't need none of that west coast "nanny state" non-sense affecting the way we do bin'ness in these here parts! :mad:
HAHH! :rofl: And I thought this stuff only happens in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts!

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Well Pillllllgram--those people got what they eeeelected, they gottta pay the the sacrifice---only trouble is
we gottttta tooo.

·
suramach
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Light is off

I took the car to the local BMW mechanic. He read the code and reset the light. Nothing serious.

Code Read " EVAP Control System Leak Detected"

Looks like it was the loose gas cap. Thanks for all the suggestion.

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
Holy crap that's ridiculous. My mechanic reads codes for free***8230;doesn't interfere with his livelihood. Something out of an Ayn Rand novel***8230;

If you drive a certain period of time with the gas cap loose it "stickys" the light; I think it's 3 times. I think it's 16 drive cycles for it to turn off again afterwards. Glad to hear you got it fixed cheaply!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts