BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i have a 2006 bmw x3 and i woke up in the morning turned my car on and the exhausted sounded way off and i went to check the cluster panel and i saw the Service Engine Soon light and there is a pretty bad vibration on idle.. any ideas please?

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts
Take it to dealer and have them run diagnostic.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sure hope so i took it in this morning they said they'll call me later today so *crossing my fingers*

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so the dealer called me back saying they couldn't find anything and they checked around and found nothing not even a error codes his words were "the light that came on but never attached a code to anything specific" any ideas or opinions?

·
BMW Enthusiast!
5,679 Posts
so the dealer called me back saying they couldn't find anything and they checked around and found nothing not even a error codes his words were "the light that came on but never attached a code to anything specific" any ideas or opinions?
They will probably say it was your gasoline brand.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just went through this on my CPO'd 2006 X3. I was there 2 times 12 days. Initially they found fuel trim too lean and fuel tank cap loose. There was no fault with the O2 sensors. They did apply SIB 120807 for help with the overly sensitive fuel cap loose warning light. The Service Engine Soon light then came on again 7 days later. This time they replaced the MAF (hot film air mas meter) since this time they got mixture too lean faults on both banks. I was told that a MAF failing this soon was rare. Man I hope so. In your case since nothing was found I would request SIB 120807 since I was told that most times the Service Engine Soon light stays solid yellow because of the overly sensitive fuel cap loose sensors.

·
Registered
47 Posts
DJH -- VERY interesting -- my new to me 06 CPO with 26k miles has been back 3 times to the dealer in the past 4 weeks for this. Almost exactly the same issue - every time I got gas the service engine light came on -- first they reprogrammed the fuel pump, then again the 2nd time, then the 3rd time found a vacuum leak and replaced the MAF. It also ran poorly when first started. (FYI -- 4th time back was for the blue tooth)

Now it runs the best it has. How many miles do you have?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mileage is at 35,7xy. I've only had this vehicle a few months. It's the wife's car so I don't drive it much. The 2nd time the SES light came on (over a 14 day period) I was driving it. We have never experienced the rough idle issues that you are experiencing. I hope the issue is resolved for us. I'm just hoping to get past 7 days so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It would be nice to find the list of SIB's that effect our X3's.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'll make this comment with little knowledge of the X3 engine but you can run this by your dealer.

A blatty exhaust sound along with rough idle, at least on a BMW M5, is indicative of a bad Cam Position Sensor. It can start off intermittent then clear up before finally staying in that mode, throwing a code and maintaining that blatty exhaust sound. At least on the M5 there are CPS's on the intake and exhaust.

Your dealer should be able to confirm the X3 has CPS's and whether this is a potential cause.

When you say the exhaust sounded "off", I'm not sure if my description of the exhaust sound matches or not. Maybe do a search here for Cam Position Sensor or even for that matter over on the e39 board and see if anything comes up that sounds similar to your problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts