BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, this is a bit weird....

When I first bought my car, when I would turn it on, the srrvice indicator message said "next service in 15,000 miles"....

Now, 2000 miles later, when I start the car it says: "next service in 16,000 miles"...WTF? Shouldn't it have said 13,000 miles?

Did my car get "better" and the more I drive, the later I should service it? Does it mean I have to wait full 16,000 miles until I get my first oil change at a dealer w/o having to pay for it? I does not make sense. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
it's taking a reading on your driving behavior and oil quality. Mine did the same thing. I've changed the oil twice, the date has not changed, but the miles have been extended out till 17k. (no I did not reset the service indicator).

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
it's taking a reading on your driving behavior and oil quality. Mine did the same thing. I've changed the oil twice, the date has not changed, but the miles have been extended out till 17k. (no I did not reset the service indicator).
So if I drive it like a mini van mom it'll give me a different number than if I'm trying to race at every light and hitting turns at 60+ :dunno:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So.........does that mean I should actually wait 16000 more miles to take it for service, or should I probably (well, duh!) change my oil sooner? I mean, will the dealer honor the free oil change under free maintanence agreement even if sensor says "it's not time yet" ?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
So.........does that mean I should actually wait 16000 more miles to take it for service, or should I probably (well, duh!) change my oil sooner? I mean, will the dealer honor the free oil change under free maintanence agreement even if sensor says "it's not time yet" ?
Regarding free maintenance the dealer will honor, the time or the mileage which ever comes first.
If you plan on keeping this car for 6 years, then flipping it, or if it's leased and you're gonna return it in 3 years. Don't waste your money. If you plan on keeping this car and putting some serious miles on it, there's a different school of thought about how to maintain it. The dealers main focus is to keep the cost per mile down not to see your car hit 15 years and 200k miles. There is no money for older cars with high miles for a manufacturer or dealer. With that being said, a lot of people seem to have adopted the annual or 7500 oil change, effectively cutting the manufacturer's recommendation in half. Seems like a inexpensive,simple way to buy some time if you intend to keep the car 10+ years, or be buried in it, which ever comes first.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Someone posted this earlier. I can't remember who to give props to, but it seems legit.
I posted it recently but I also got it here originally. :)
You should be able to request a free 'low mileage,annual oil change' without the reset of the service indicator. My service and warranty manual says oil changes are done when the indicator says so or annually.
That being said, don't wait 16000 miles. :)

dj

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
What is the recommended time, not mileage, to get the oil changed under the free maintenance?
Annually=1 year :confused:
I drive about 5,000 miles a year and got my first free oil change on the anniversary of my purchase. You have to ask for the annual low mileage oil change. The indicator wasn't reset and my next oil change was called for in less than a year at under 10,000 miles. 1 year from then, I got my next annual low mileage oil change at about 15,000 miles with no reset. Now, 7 months later, the count down is at 2300, so it will call for the service in about 3-4 months.
So in 4 years ownership, I will have gotten 2 annual low mileage oil changes and 2 that the car called for.

dj

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.