BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello !

I am looking to purchase a service manual for my e39... Does anyone have an experience with the Bentley manuals? Also are those cds they have on ebay for about $20.00 bucks any good?

Thanks you all for your input :)

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
avinator said:
Hello !

I am looking to purchase a service manual for my e39... Does anyone have an experience with the Bentley manuals? Also are those cds they have on ebay for about $20.00 bucks any good?

Thanks you all for your input :)
Take a quick gander at the very top post in this forum.... :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dudes !

I am aware I can buy the Bentley Manual for $107.00 at bimmerzone.com....( cool place to buy all your bimmer needs ) :D

But....any of you have good experiences wth the Bentley manual vs the ebay cdroms...I would hate to shell out 100 bucks and not be happy with the contents... :bigpimp:

·
Matching beemer & bimmer
655 Posts
avinator said:
any of you have good experiences wth the Bentley manual vs the ebay cdroms...
My philosophy is I buy ALL the recommended references the same time as I buy the car (you never know when you'll need it but when you need it, you need it).

I don't have the CDROM for the 2002 5-series (I didn't know they had one other than the BMW parts catalog and technical service bulletin s (for those details, please see my post to BMW general titled Legal purchase & use of Elektronikteilkatalog (ETK, TIS, EPC, HTK, ETM, KSD). In fact, if you're not talking about the ETK set above, then I am unaware there is any CDROM set (for the 2002 E39 anyway). I do believe there is a CDROM manual for the older 5-series though ... so it depends on the year.

In addition, I've had shop manuals for all my cars (and I'm not a young guy) and bikes over the years.

My assessment on the Bentleys:
o They are just OK. Nothing great. Nothing terrible.
o Based solely on their height (about four or five inches in toto), you'd think they were comprehensive; yet, in many cases already, they failed me (do a search on shaftdrive for cross references).
o However, having said that, the Bentleys also were the ONLY place I found certain information (e.g., that the seatbelts were firecrackers in disguise) which was NOT readily available on bimmerfest or elsewhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts