BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Fern Green was underrated
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm bringing my car in for it's first (scheduled) oil change tomorrow morn. There's a few things I was wondering about:

1) Is this a good time to bring up the heat blower problem (e46)? Can they fix it or do they have to order a new unit?

2) I never had the chance to program the car/key memory. Anyone have a link to the options or a copy of the form they could send me? You think they'd be willing to do this as during the oil change?

Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
561 Posts
If you're talking about the final-stage resistor, I just had mine replaced and they had the part in stock. It's a common failure, so there's a good chance they'll have the part.

·
Fern Green was underrated
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I guess that's what I meant.. I've seen the terms "final-stage resistor" and "heat blower" used frequently and assumed that when I mentioned it to the dealer, they'd know what I was talking about.

What's the story behind this, anyway? Just for curiosity's sake.

Thanks for the link, btw, Lil'E. Exactly what I was looking for. Have it saved on a laptop ready to go. :thumb:

·
Registered
561 Posts
They apparently have a way of testing it to determine if its bad. Mine was intermittent but they were able to determine it was defective. As I said, it seems to be a common problem. And I usually don't use the "Auto" setting, since I like to be able to control the fan speed and which vents the air comes through.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts