BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello

I'm the proud owner of a 2003 645CI steptronic.

I bought it at 150.000 km (93.000 miles) and now it has 170.000 km (105.000 miles)

Since I'm not fully aware of the service history of the car, and providing that in the last 12000 miles I did not find any problems...
what kind of service do you reccomend? just oil/filters change? or something else?

thanks!

EDIT: after some collaborations here it's the suggested list:

so the list now goes like:

to be ckecked:
  • disks and pads
  • Spark plugs
  • MAF sensor (clean)

To be replaced:
  • changing engine oil,
  • ATF,
  • differential oil
  • fuel filter,
  • brake fluid,
  • Steering fluid
  • and all air filters (intake and microfilter)
  • Coolant
  • CCV valves

·
Registered
199 Posts
If by ATF you mean automatic transmission fluid, is that not meant to be a 'lifetime oil'? However, at higher mileages I would have it changed.

In regards to what should you service, so serviceable items in a literal sense, I would stick to what the iDrive recommends, other than with engine oil and filter, which I would do twice a year. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If by ATF you mean automatic transmission fluid, is that not meant to be a 'lifetime oil'? However, at higher mileages I would have it changed.
yes, it's supposed to be lifetime, but I'd rather like my transmission ot have a life of 300k miles than 100k miles, :rofl: :rofl:

In regards to what should you service, so serviceable items in a literal sense, I would stick to what the iDrive recommends, other than with engine oil and filter, which I would do twice a year. Hope that helps...
thanks!

somebody else like to add info?

·
Registered
311 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
change the transmission oil and filter http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=product&id=186
and while the pan is off, also install a new sealing sleeve http://www.thectsc.com/products/sealing-sleeve-3-10.html
most owners on this forum have done the transmission oil and filter change once their car gets above 60 or 70K miles
I have also done a coolant flush, changed the power steering fluid and changed the oil in the rear differential.
thanks!

really nice price, I wish to have those in europe!

BR

----edit----

found this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.es/itm/BMW-ZF-OEM-6...kit-DA6085G-/171676873232?hash=item27f8bd3210 ZF kit, 305 dollars...

BR

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, It's decided,I'm checking spark plugs (even idrive says thye have left 22k km), changing engine oil, ATF, fuel filter, brake fluid, and all air filters (intake and microfilter)
I'll check also brake disks and pads

thanks!

(still, if anyone wants to add something, pelase go ahead)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good, I'll add collant to the list; also differential oil must be replaced, for the peace of mind..

to be ckecked:
  • disks and pads
  • Spark plugs

To be replaced:
  • changing engine oil,
  • ATF,
  • differential oil
  • fuel filter,
  • brake fluid,
  • Coolant

·
Super Moderator
9,943 Posts
good, I'll add collant to the list; also differential oil must be replaced, for the peace of mind..

to be ckecked:
  • disks and pads
  • Spark plugs

To be replaced:
  • changing engine oil,
  • ATF,
  • differential oil
  • fuel filter,
  • brake fluid,
  • Coolant
Probably should add CCV valves to the list
Change steering fluid. Suck out fluid then add new Pentoson CH11S fluid to proper level.
Do this 2 to 3 times.
Clean MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner only.

·
Michael
2,516 Posts
Ensure you use BMW coolant no other, same with the Transmission oil, it is expensive but when you drain it measure how much has drained and refill to that amount (approx5.6ltrs) you cannot drain all of the transmission oil as the rest is in the Torque Converter. There is also a fill procedure, but if you have measured how much you then know how much to top it up with.
There are plenty of DIY's on the site for each part of the service, especially the spark plugs (the rear plugs x2).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ensure you use BMW coolant no other, same with the Transmission oil, it is expensive but when you drain it measure how much has drained and refill to that amount (approx5.6ltrs) you cannot drain all of the transmission oil as the rest is in the Torque Converter. There is also a fill procedure, but if you have measured how much you then know how much to top it up with.
There are plenty of DIY's on the site for each part of the service, especially the spark plugs (the rear plugs x2).
Your comments are really appreciated.
For transmission I was thinking on using a ZF atf kit on sale on eBay; I think it's the way to go.
http://m.ebay.es/itm/Original-ZF-GETRIEBEOLWANNE-BMW-GA6HP26Z-Getriebe-Filter-8L-ZF-GETRIEBEOL-/121136863727?nav=SEARCH

·
Michael
2,516 Posts
As with all things advice is freely given, but one of the things we have all learned is if you want to keep the car for the long term then you stick with BMW original lubricants. Those who have come to the car older second hand will have no idea what previous owners will have done in maintaining their cars. There is informed opinion that some of the cars failures can be attributed to poor maintenance and using cheap/cheaper alternatives.
Sadly not enough is known about the results directly as many get rid of the car before the next big bill.
What one can see is those who have maintained their cars to a higher standard and bearing the costs of using BMW's own spares generally they are the cars that have lasted and not suffered the pain many owners have experienced when they come to the car secondhand with highish mileage.
Personally I would never buy a high mileage/older than 2-3 year old BMW V8 especially the 6/7 series E63 ++. IF ever I would only do it if I personally knew the owner and how he maintained the car.
Don't get me wrong the 6 Series is the best car I have ever owned overall, but I definitely do regret selling it, I think BMW cars have moved into an era where they will not stand the test of time, especially applicable are the top end vehicles, way to complex for their own good, and seem to go over a cliff edge in terms of reliability.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
As with all things advice is freely given, but one of the things we have all learned is if you want to keep the car for the long term then you stick with BMW original lubricants. Those who have come to the car older second hand will have no idea what previous owners will have done in maintaining their cars. There is informed opinion that some of the cars failures can be attributed to poor maintenance and using cheap/cheaper alternatives.
Sadly not enough is known about the results directly as many get rid of the car before the next big bill.
What one can see is those who have maintained their cars to a higher standard and bearing the costs of using BMW's own spares generally they are the cars that have lasted and not suffered the pain many owners have experienced when they come to the car secondhand with highish mileage.
Personally I would never buy a high mileage/older than 2-3 year old BMW V8 especially the 6/7 series E63 ++. IF ever I would only do it if I personally knew the owner and how he maintained the car.
Don't get me wrong the 6 Series is the best car I have ever owned overall, but I definitely do regret selling it, I think BMW cars have moved into an era where they will not stand the test of time, especially applicable are the top end vehicles, way to complex for their own good, and seem to go over a cliff edge in terms of reliability.
Hi; thanks for the advice; but about puchasing a high mileage e63... Now is late.

Of course this kind of purchase is a quite high risk; that I was willing to take. I know that along the way some very expensive repairs can come; but it was accounted for. Also I purchased it from an me dealer with one year full warranty to have at least the peace of mind that if the car was having some known hidden problems they would come out during the warranty. They didn't.

About original parts; I do not know if you specifically are talking about the eBay link. i thought that that oil would be equal or better than bow; as ZF is the manufacturer of the transmission ;

maybe I'm completely wrong or misunderstood you (my English is not that good; as you can see ahahah)

P.s. Don't get me wrong; I appreciate a lot any input.

·
Michael
2,516 Posts
I was not trying to undermine your purchase as it is still a brilliant car! From what you have said you did it with your eyes open!
I think the difference in transmission oil is that BMW class their oil as lifetime oil. Which no one agrees with !!
Having said this you will be mixing oils as I mentioned, and again mixing oils is often frowned upon........ I think if you drained the total transmission then this would be different ???
It always possible that you have an excellently maintained car via the previous owner/s.
I think that often negative experiences often can cloud judgement, many of the 6 series run faultlessly, it is just that you seldom here about them in any numbers.......
You seem to want to get the car to a good base level............there is plenty of advice to help you on here as it is by far one of the best Forums......

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was not trying to undermine your purchase as it is still a brilliant car! From what you have said you did it with your eyes open!
I think the difference in transmission oil is that BMW class their oil as lifetime oil. Which no one agrees with !!
Having said this you will be mixing oils as I mentioned, and again mixing oils is often frowned upon........ I think if you drained the total transmission then this would be different ???
It always possible that you have an excellently maintained car via the previous owner/s.
I think that often negative experiences often can cloud judgement, many of the 6 series run faultlessly, it is just that you seldom here about them in any numbers.......
You seem to want to get the car to a good base level............there is plenty of advice to help you on here as it is by far one of the best Forums......
Got your point; I didn't realize that as usual method does not dean completly the transmission there will be old-new oil mixing. The safest way is to choose bmw oil as you say. Even it might be the same as ZF one (most probability). Also I do not know if a oil change has been done already or even if the transmission has be repaired and new (other than bmw) oil has been put on it...

But well; when you buy a car with so many Km on its back; it's what it's :)

I'll go for the bmw oil; thanks !

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yep - best to stick with BMW fluids all around.

·
Registered
846 Posts
With that mileage and age I would have a look at the radiator too. Plastics (due to environmental laws) are these days designed to biodegrade and as a result think it makes components like the radiator vulnerable to failure, the place can get brittle & a crack could form quite easily. In most preventative maintenance guides they recommend changing the water pump, thermostat, radiator & hoses around the 100k miles mark to remove risk of a failed component. The thermostat & water pump are both electric so I don't think it holds true for these cars to change these as preventative maintenance. They both can generate fault coðes when they fail or are about to fail. Cooling systems in most BMW's are a weak point so definitely worth inspecting it.

EDIT: Case in point here!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871179

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.