BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i have been for the last few months been going back and forth between a e46 m3 and a 2011 wrx and can't seem to make up my mind. :eek: So i am hoping that you guys here at bimmer fest can help me out. The main thing that concerns me about the e46 is the age, reliability and servicing cost ... now before you guys go and say if your worried about servicing cost don't buy the M .. i know they are expensive to run what i want to know is through you experiences how much have you paid best and worst case scenarios.

Thanks for you help !

·
CSUchemgrad
50 Posts
hey man, i just got a 2006 m roadster with 1700 miles. it think the cost are pricie. I found out that many of these roadster do not come with the alarm system hooked up. that cose 850 with install. I keep the car outside, but i dont think that is a big deal casue if you take care of it, it will take care of it self.But i can say this. the people at service centers treat you really well and really love their job. the car feels great. love the way the engine sounds WRX r a dim a dozen, but the M is in a league of his own. the naviagtion is not so good, but honestly all the navigations in my eyes are not so good and cost too much becasue of the i phone and the garmens are super cheap. the stero is not so good, but you are buyin it for the ride. i have sat in wrx and the m roadsters dont compare. then when you drop the top, that takes it toanother level. and i make you a bet you would be happy with the roadster once the top is down. the engine is moderitely loud and in my eyes moding it would make it un bearing. If anyone else would disagree about this, please let me know and if some has suggestions on moding the exhaust to make it a little louder with out voiding the warrenty that would be great. so if i had to WRX or BMW m roadster converitable. to me it would be a no brainer, but I looked for 3 years for one that is in impecitable condition. well it isnt like it any more casue my fiancee just curbed check the rim slightly. i hope this help. btw i am going to post some pics in the next week or so. hope this helps

paul

·
Bella the Bimmer-2002 M3
8 Posts
Hello i have been for the last few months been going back and forth between a e46 m3 and a 2011 wrx and can't seem to make up my mind. :eek: So i am hoping that you guys here at bimmer fest can help me out. The main thing that concerns me about the e46 is the age, reliability and servicing cost ... now before you guys go and say if your worried about servicing cost don't buy the M .. i know they are expensive to run what i want to know is through you experiences how much have you paid best and worst case scenarios.

Thanks for you help !
Are you going to be doing any of the servicing?

·
Registered
43 Posts
i had an 09 STi and came over to BMW.. i went a little overboard and got an 08 335i and a 2002 M3.

if i had to pick one vehicle to do everything i need (including driving in bad weather) i would go with the subaru hands down. although the xdrive option comes into play if you want a 330 (maybe closer to your budget than 335, but still great cars).

spend some (more?) time test driving them both. they are quite different in many regards but are both super fun to drive and you can be proud to own either one. things to consider though:

warranty/knowing you are the first owner
utility (i had the hatchback .... no problem putting a 46" tv with box in it, no chance with the bimmers)
AWD (none on Ms)
5speed vs 6 speed man if u care
both are highly customizable
check ur insurance on each too.. may vary significantly enough to sway you

good luck!
Matt

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Trick is dont buy arts frok dealer
Had brakepads repladed oem pade online $169 dealer$320
Just use dealer for labour byo parts they hate me but who care

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.