Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I***8217;m not sure if the transmission has ever been serviced but I was wanting to do it before 100k miles but I***8217;ve heard if it hasn***8217;t been serviced by like 90-100k then you shouldn***8217;t do it because it cause actually cause problems with the tranny and cause it to fail but idk how much of that is true

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Standard issue BMW Maintenance and Warranty books for E9n all say that AutoTranny should have its oil and filter changed every 100k mile.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
I'm not sure if the transmission has ever been serviced but I was wanting to do it before 100k miles but I've heard if it hasn't been serviced by like 90-100k then you shouldn't do it because it cause actually cause problems with the tranny and cause it to fail but idk how much of that is true
You don't say of you have the GM or the ZF. Two different procedures, two different fluids and filters.

Fluid can be done now. When you dump the fluid into a container. check it. It should be tea colored to brown, meaning the tranny has been reasonably treated and you should have no issues. A few drops on white paper can give you some insights on its condition. I changed my GM fluid at 102Kmi, and it was pinkinsh-light brown, no odor, with minimal wear. Made me smile to see it.

If it's black and smelly, the tranny has been treated harshly and the probability of crap settling in the orifices and passages of the valve body is higher. Tranny fluid is damaged by heat, and the black crap likely contains wear particles from excessive clutch wear.

Check the magnets in the pan. There will be a grey paste on them, which is normal metallic wear. Less is better, but there's no way to easily say what is "less" or not. If there are pieces of any kind, again the probability is higher the tranny has been abused, and the higher the liklihood of issues.

Finally, after you change the fluid you should reset the adaptations and go through the re-learning procedure appropriate to your tranny.

So, should you change it? Absolutely, yes. Unless the tranny has been abused, it'll be fine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure if the transmission has ever been serviced but I was wanting to do it before 100k miles but I've heard if it hasn't been serviced by like 90-100k then you shouldn't do it because it cause actually cause problems with the tranny and cause it to fail but idk how much of that is true
You don't say of you have the GM or the ZF. Two different procedures, two different fluids and filters.

Fluid can be done now. When you dump the fluid into a container. check it. It should be tea colored to brown, meaning the tranny has been reasonably treated and you should have no issues. A few drops on white paper can give you some insights on its condition. I changed my GM fluid at 102Kmi, and it was pinkinsh-light brown, no odor, with minimal wear. Made me smile to see it.

If it's black and smelly, the tranny has been treated harshly and the probability of crap settling in the orifices and passages of the valve body is higher. Tranny fluid is damaged by heat, and the black crap likely contains wear particles from excessive clutch wear.

Check the magnets in the pan. There will be a grey paste on them, which is normal metallic wear. Less is better, but there's no way to easily say what is "less" or not. If there are pieces of any kind, again the probability is higher the tranny has been abused, and the higher the liklihood of issues.

Finally, after you change the fluid you should reset the adaptations and go through the re-learning procedure appropriate to your tranny.

So, should you change it? Absolutely, yes. Unless the tranny has been abused, it'll be fine.
I have the ZF that comes with the 335i

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
ZF tranny...ZF recommendation of 60k mileage interval for oil and filter, although they hedge their recommendation with the "...or as recommended by the manufacturer of your car"

The filter is built into the tranny pan, so you buy a new pan with integrated new filter in it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Go for it. I have one of those crappy GM transmissions for which I replaced the transmission fluid and the filter around 78000 miles. The fluid was black crappy and the pan was full of sediments. Replaced the filter and put Castrol's Dexron fluid to take out the rest of the crap and ran it for 4 weeks. Dropped the pan again and replaced that with BMW's original transmission fluid.

I went against all other's recommendations and didn't reset the transmission configuration. The computer totally didn't know if the fluid was changed or not.

Transmission runs a lot better. Original shifting issues at low rpm exists but that's a known problem with GM's transmissions.

·
Registered
741 Posts
While you're in there, pull the valve body and replace all Valvetronics seals. If the $10 pump->valve body seal goes a month later (this can be triggered by the fluid change), you're out $150 worth of fluid.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You should do it now! I serviced my 328 GM transmission for the first time at 100k, and the oil smelled like an electrical fire happened inside. After that, I have serviced it regularly every 50k miles, alternating oil and oil plus filter changes. I did it today at 253k miles, and it is still running strong. Hardly no sediments picked up by the magnet. I have used Redline D6 always.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts