Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed a Quaife differential unit to my z4 3.0si automatic and went to the shop do measuremets. The installation was straightforward following the instructions.
The backlash is at .20mm, but the contact patch and the preload are out of specifications. It was most likely like that before the installation but I didn***8217;t measure anything. The contact patch is a bit to the outside of the teeth and to the top and the teeth but not too much. The pinion preload is very low. I***8217;ve found it shoud be 1.35-2.59Nm for an e46 330i so this should be similar if not identical. Mine measures 1-2N at the flange so that***8217;s 0.04-0.1Nm. It moves very easily. With the diff installed it goes to 30N (3kg) but which is how it should be without it. So that***8217;s probably the result of normal wear at 100k miles. The backlash is also at the limit. Reducing it would centre the contact patch. I***8217;ve used oil paint to make it visible and it works well. Anyway I***8217;ll install it like that since it worked like that recently and will readjust it some other time. Also I***8217;ll check it up again after the break in period.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts