BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I drive an 07 e92 335i. I recently (1 month ago) installed some manzo lowering springs. Immediately after installing I am getting a severe thumping/rumbling/vibration from 0-25mph. Once I reach 25mph it stops and the car drives perfectly, it happens every time I start from a stop or slow down without fail. I have checked every single bushing down there, as well as the diff mount and subframe mounts. Everything checks out and I'm totally stumped, also had it on the alignment rack twice since and that didn't help the issue at all. Any ideas or anyone ever dealt with a similar issue?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah the vibration is loud as can be from inside the car, but standing outside with someone else driving you cannot hear it at all. It sounds like it is coming from the back passenger side.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked for play in both of the rears and nothing. They are tight, no tears in the boots. Think it could be the changed angle?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Applying Occam's Razor and assuming that the symptoms were caused by the spring change (and not something entirely different), then the axle shafts are the first thing I would suspect. Not only have you changed the angles, but you have effectively shortened them as well.

I would support the hub on both sides with axle stands (so that the entire weight of the car is on the suspension) at the lowest possible height such that the wheels are off the ground and spin/rock the wheels to see if you can replicate the problem.

Al

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only thing off with the alignment is that my rear wheels are -1.9 degrees cambered. Everything else is straight. I'm not sure Of ride night or spring specs but the springs are manzo springs. I hope this helps (also it won't let me post a picture from my phone)

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
The only thing off with the alignment is that my rear wheels are -1.9 degrees cambered. Everything else is straight. I'm not sure Of ride night or spring specs but the springs are manzo springs. I hope this helps (also it won't let me post a picture from my phone)
Well, post an image of the alignment sheet if you have that. Thumps from front or rear? Lowered how much?

·
Banned
10,015 Posts

Also, most people don't know: when you change springs to other than stock, shocks must match spring rate and height. Like drugs advertised on TV, there are side effects to lowering springs!

Funny though, salesmen tend not to mention that. If slammed you got more work to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the reply, it's not crazy slammed, maybe about a 1.5" drop. Also I don't have a copy of the alignment sheet. I'm active duty and got my alignment at the shop on post. Should I be looking to get aftermarket shocks? If so what kind?

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Remount your wheels. Especially if they are not hub centric, they may not be centered.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
Thank you for the reply, it's not crazy slammed, maybe about a 1.5" drop. Also I don't have a copy of the alignment sheet. I'm active duty and got my alignment at the shop on post. Should I be looking to get aftermarket shocks? If so what kind?
Koni famously custom fits shocks, but get a reputable performance shop like HP Autosport or Ground Control to spec shocks. I run Koni Yellows.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts