BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One would think that the SF Bay Area would have better roads since we have no snow and ice but they are pretty crummy. Can't quite get a handle by just test drives on if the 3 Series Sport Suspension is too rough to justify the handling difference driving around here. Any comments on real world experience with Sport Suspension 'round these parts? Do LOVE the seats that are on the combined Premium and Sports pkgs.

·
Registered
255 Posts
ajfinoak said:
One would think that the SF Bay Area would have better roads since we have no snow and ice but they are pretty crummy. Can't quite get a handle by just test drives on if the 3 Series Sport Suspension is too rough to justify the handling difference driving around here. Any comments on real world experience with Sport Suspension 'round these parts? Do LOVE the seats that are on the combined Premium and Sports pkgs.
To be realistic, yes you are correct, it makes it a little bit of an uncomfortable ride. My wife complains non-stop about it.

But if you are willing to "deal" with the bumby roads for better vehicle handling, it's probably worth it.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
way smoother than my Z4!

plus when you change out the tires for non runflats that will help the ride even more

ride is too subjective to ask people about though, you need to go drive the cars!

·
\m/ (>.<) \m/
22,144 Posts
phantom701 said:
To be realistic, yes you are correct, it makes it a little bit of an uncomfortable ride. My wife complains non-stop about it.

But if you are willing to "deal" with the bumby roads for better vehicle handling, it's probably worth it.
As whiskey.org points out, ride is subjective. This wife and former E90 owner loved the sports package. I didn't find the ride rough at all.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
The roads are just exaggerating poor right now because of the winter rains and Caltrans doesn't seem too interested in fixing the roads currently.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Depending on where you are at but part of 17 south to Los Gatos is a bit rough.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are definately a bunch of spots that are worse then others. I knocked my suspension out of alignment on a bump just before the santa clara exit on 87 north. But I love the sport suspension. It is worth it for me. Just be careful out there.

·
Registered
614 Posts
If I had to do it all over again, I would still opt for the sport suspension. Yes, the ride is a bit rough in places in the Bay Area, but the car handles like a dream. And I used to think my M5 was wound tight...

·
Registered
470 Posts
I worried (obsessed?) about this a lot before I bought. I decided to go for the sport package anyway, and I'm extremely glad I did. As long as I'm careful to avoid the really bad ruts (and I know where they are on my regular routes), it's just no problem at all. The reward is an extremely tight, responsive and agile drive, not to mention the awesome seats, bigger wheels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If I decide on european delivery this Fall, I'm considering ordering the sport package and trading someone with a non sport package my wheels/tires.

I think the the 18s are a bit on the huge side. I could wait until I ding one. The seats alone are worth the expense. Plus, it's a road car--the sport suspension isn't that stiff. I'm guessing that the standard european BMW probably uses similar spring rates for their standard cars.

--Kevin
Sonoma County, CA
'04 Honda Element
'04 BMW Boxer Cup

·
Registered
84 Posts
I grew up in the Bay Area and now live in the midwest. Trust me, you dont know what bad is until you try spending some time on our "paved" roads with potholes the size of small lakes and land as flat and straight as the eye can see. In addition, CA also has great winding hilly switchbacks that the sport package was meant to attack. This being said I am still ordering my 335i with the sports package.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I love my sport suspension, bad roads don't bother me. But one annoying thing about these low profile tires is they are prone to "tire bubbles." I've already had to replace one tire.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I manage on coilovers slammed to the ground, but I am a little more wild ;)
JL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts