BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
chillen
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive read about this tons of times. to create the shadow trim look or sport look i either tape over my chrome or paint it. which is better and why. and where do i go about getting either the paint or the tape. I will also be ordering a black m5 grill. to complete the look. thanks.

·
Official Wheelman
1,329 Posts
I want to do the same thing. I have the tape from pep boys and the paint. Just haven't decided which to do.

·
chillen
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
which is better? Im assuming paint. but tape sounds easier and wayyyy faster. what tape from pep boys is it.

·
Registered
'03 BMW 530i-5. BSM, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather (Retrofitted) Packages.
90 Posts
I just did the tape, and I think it would be a better solution because it's reversible.

·
Official Wheelman
1,329 Posts
I just tried the tape and it worked well on the straight parts, but getting it to flow over the curved parts have been a pain in the ass. I think I will paint.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
so ive read about this tons of times. to create the shadow trim look or sport look i either tape over my chrome or paint it. which is better and why. and where do i go about getting either the paint or the tape. I will also be ordering a black m5 grill. to complete the look. thanks.
Why not just buy the 4 trim pieces that are needed? I think you only need the top and bottom window trim IIRC.

·
chillen
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well depends on how much these trim pieces are... i also need to find the ones for my doors cause theres chrome there too... im talking like the strip at knee/shin height.

·
Official Wheelman
1,329 Posts
I thought that you were talking about the window trim. My bumper trim is the same color as the car.

·
Retired Hotness!
921 Posts
The door/bumper trim is like $250+ for the entire car (prob more though)...... The trim around the windows is $200+ just for the window trim pieces. I have ordered the door trim pieces and they were $88 per side + the cost of the smaller pieces on the fenders.... These prices are from Realoem and do not include the cost of painting them.

IF you are indeed talking about the window trim pieces, either one will work, and if done correctly both will look just fine. I have a combo (for now), I originally taped the trim pieces but decided to paint them because over time, my tape was being chipped away (Don't know how?).... So I have started the paint process on the trim pieces.

·
chillen
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah i have chrome aound my windows and on my doors. the doors i need to buy new pieces for. wich from what i just read are 88 per SIDE or 88 per door.( do i need to paint them dont they come as black) the trim around the windows i guess i can just paint. Schwell my car wall basically look like urs when done except i have m pars. the blackout look is so sick. now let me ask you guys this do they make a M5 grill in black or just chrome?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Yeah i have chrome aound my windows and on my doors. the doors i need to buy new pieces for. wich from what i just read are 88 per SIDE or 88 per door.( do i need to paint them dont they come as black) the trim around the windows i guess i can just paint. Schwell my car wall basically look like urs when done except i have m pars. the blackout look is so sick. now let me ask you guys this do they make a M5 grill in black or just chrome?
you might as well paint the m5 grill since its cheap to get a new one.

you might want to get the window trim tape blackout (look for shadowline on amazon). I just used electrical tape to see if it worked or not lol.

I dont know what to do for the doors though - i hate that chrome strip too.

·
Official Wheelman
1,329 Posts
OK. After tint and painted trim.
Before:

After:

Now if you are going to paint make sure you tape it off away from the edge of the chrome trim. If you tape too close you will tear the paint off when you remove the tape. I learned the hard way!

·
The Usual Suspect
2,731 Posts
OK. After tint and painted trim.
Before:

After:

Now if you are going to paint make sure you tape it off away from the edge of the chrome trim. If you tape too close you will tear the paint off when you remove the tape. I learned the hard way!
She looks tight both ways, the chrome feet look better with the shadowline trim though.

·
Official Wheelman
1,329 Posts
Thanks man. I agree that she looks alot better with the painted trim.

·
Modded 5
386 Posts
I've got a box of OEM glossy-Shadowline window trim for sell.....if anyone interested....please pm me

Came off from a E39 M5....nothing beats OEM and it cost $100+/1 trim so to do the whole car exterior you'll need 14 which is $1xxx and 4 interior trim too which i think cost another $3xx....so total brand new around $2000 and i am asking $300 + shipping

P.S. It is not a complete sets....missing a few trims ( Should have 18 trims total from outside to inside and mine is missing only 3 to 4 trim )which you can get it new and paint yours to match

1 - 20 of 26 Posts