BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
’99 540i Touring - upgrading it to full/Genuine BMW “Sport Package” and paused on shadowline trim install.

I got most of the shadowline window trim from wrecks at PickNPulls, sanded and resprayed with SEM Trim Black 39143, and a couple pieces new. Install was easy.

I’m buying new Genuine shadowline door trim pieces (51138159293 through …298) and installing.

Two questions:

1. On original shadowline cars, were left/right grill trim black or chrome? RealOEM lists both, SCHWARZ as 51138159315 and CHROM as 51138184531.

2. Do original shadowline trim cars have chrome or matte black trim on inside of door at top of card, near window? Now I have chrome on inside and matte black shadowline on outside.

The rest of the Sport Package elements, from 1999 model year brochure:

M Technic sport suspension: new and only element professionally installed
17” allow wheels with performance tires: CL find, blasted/resprayed
M sport multi-function steering wheel: from wreck, added new single-stage airbag
Choice of electrically adjustable standard leather seats or electrically adjustable leather sport seats: CL find for leather sport seats, Leatherique brought back to new but heated seat option no longer works.

I’m also adding “Aerodynamic kit” which is M Technic front and rear bumper covers, I’ve pulled both off wrecks at PickNPulls to be painted and easily installed. I had to drill PDC holes for rear bumper with metric step drill bit and adhere new brackets on inside.

·
Registered
12,235 Posts
My 99 540iT (w/sport pkg) had gloss shadowline trim on the exterior AND interior trim pieces. If you're going for the sport pkg shadowline trim...pay attention to option code P337a (listed in the supplemental columns in the database) when looking up the correct 11 digit BMW part nbrs. See pic below....arrows are pointing to the interior & exterior shadowline trim:

The North American imports...even with sport pkg had Chrome kidney grills. Do take note that the original kidney grills from BMW will always have a CHROME surround...and the slats will be either Schwarz (black) or chrome. You can see that my 99 540iT w/sport pkg had chrome kidney grills. If you get the face lift kidney grills...the chrome surround (or black surround if you go aftermarket) will have a "lip" that protrudes further out and over onto the hood...where as the pre facelift...the chrome surround was within the hood's opening for the kidney grills (no lip). See pic below...arrows are pointing at the chrome kidney pre facelift grills:

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, QSilver7!

Yes, my VIN last 6 are GN90208, production date 10/98, so I’m just replicating the Sports Package with M-tech) Aerodynamic Kit, just P270A and not the full M Sports Package P337a option code. Photo shows the list from ’99 540iT brochure, which encompasses P270A into:

S204A Drive Version Export Shorter Final Drive Ratio
S227A Sport Supsension w/Self-leveling Suspension Sport Susp.
S339A Satin Chrome Shadow-Line Trim
S481A Sport Seats F Driver/Front Pass Sports Seat
S710A M Leather Steering Wheel M Sports Steering Wheel, Multifunction
S202A STEPTRONIC

Downside to my conversion is losing 2/3 of my existing Cold Weather Package (retaining only headlight cleaning systems, no more heated seats or wheel).

Thanks for the helpful photo of window trim! I’ll search if those interior trim pieces have independent PNs, can be purchased or pulled from wrecks. Is your “gloss” shadowline window trim the same gloss level as E39 M5? Between gloss and satin, I’ve replicated satin finish as that’s the only trim finish I’ve seen on pre-facelift non-M E39.

My pre-facelift front grills actually are black and not chrome (SCHWARZ as 51138159315 and CHROM as 51138184531), almost certainly original to the car. Even as NA import and without anything on build sheet to indication an option, maybe they were changed out by the PO or your chrome grills are actually part of your original sport package? I prefer the look of the black slats against the Shadowline but want to install shadowline package correctly.

Thanks again for the expertise.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
For wagons with factory clear side turn signals (with amber bulbs), are the front turn signals (within the headlight assembly) also all clear plastic with amber bulbs? I will change side bulbs to clear plastic/amber bulbs and want to convert correctly.

For '99 Touring, are there any other shadowline elements beyond all the window/door and bumper cover trim pieces? RealOEM isn't searchable by "shadowline."

I discovered the PNs of the shadowline interior upper door trim:

...and replaced them all easily - loosening but not removing interior door panel with 2 screws (front)/1 screw (rear). Attach to door frame with high tension clips. My rear doors have retractable sun shield so there is an extra chrome strip on the door panel itself. There isn't a separate PN for this strip.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,235 Posts
Thank you, QSilver7! ... Is your “gloss” shadowline window trim the same gloss level as E39 M5? Between gloss and satin, I’ve replicated satin finish as that’s the only trim finish I’ve seen on pre-facelift non-M E39.
My decoded VIN lists S339A...so it is the "satin" shadowline. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts