BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I have a 2003 325xi

So I brought my car down to the dealership yesterday to have a shaking problem looked at after my Indy had a couple of ideas but didn't want me to blow money on fixing the wrong part.....

First we went for a little test drive....after about 1/2 mile he noticed the shake and said "we have seen this a lot with the E46, and normally it turns out being the transfer case mount".

I went and sat in the waiting room for a bit and then he came and got me and showed me the following:

1) The transfer case was able to move around, he said that was also causing the shaking while waiting at a stop sign
2) He said the axles were going bad, suggested either a repacking or replacing
3) The ball joints needed to be replaced (which my mechanic said they are starting to go bad)
4) Control Arms & Bushings (my mechanic had noted the bushing were also starting to go bad)
5) He also said the rear springs were broken, but I haven't noticed any looseness and my mechanic didn't think they were broken
6) He also suggested flushing coolant, brake, power steering fluids & flushing the fuel injectors

I tend to take advice from a dealership with a grain of salt, what do you guys and gals think?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Sounds reasonable. Suspension components wear fast on our cars. If all else do the control arms/ball joints.

I would believe the dealership only because he suggested repacking the axles which is much much cheaper than replacing.

·
catso
3,162 Posts
Broken rear springs are common. I'm surprised your Indy didn't find them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are there any of the suspension parts that people would suggest to upgrade? I do not really want to lower the car, I already hit clumps of snow during the winter and spring driving is almost worse with grooved dirt roads, but if there were better suspension parts I would like to know....I see through oembimmerparts that the Mayle Control Arms are not for XI models.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
The CV joints on the front axles probably went bad and that was what was causing your shaking. Its an all 2 common XI problem. I just had to replace mine at 68k.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The BMW tech said he would replace the transfer case mount first....

What are people's thoughts on EMPI shafts, are those cheap chinese junk?

·
Registered
50 Posts
With the factory joints failing within 60-70k (have seen some peoples fail in the 50s) I don't see how they could be any worse.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the factory joints failing within 60-70k (have seen some peoples fail in the 50s) I don't see how they could be any worse.
True, and if all they do is last a couple of years they still do not end up costing me any more than BMW ones....

·
Registered
50 Posts
If I remeber correctly the bmw ones cost around 1100 for the pair and if you buy the oem replacements they are 640. Why waste the money for a part that is just gonna fail again. I don't think that they made any changes to them like they did with the water pump (new bmw version has a composite instead of plastic impellar). Even with that improvement I still bought the graf pump because its got a metal impellar.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I remeber correctly the bmw ones cost around 1100 for the pair and if you buy the oem replacements they are 640. Why waste the money for a part that is just gonna fail again. I don't think that they made any changes to them like they did with the water pump (new bmw version has a composite instead of plastic impellar). Even with that improvement I still bought the graf pump because its got a metal impellar.
Well, I was looking at the EMPI ones which are ~$100 each side, though I do need both...I was thinking about using these and seeing how long they last, if it isn't even a year then I will use the next best ones....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I am having the transfer mount done in a couple of weeks and see how that works, I would like to wait until mid may to do the rest....

·
Rnestibo
6 Posts
I struggled with a vibration that started after quite a few miles of highway driving. Even though the front CV Joints were replaced as part of routine warranty maintenance a few years ago, it was the passenger CV Joint that was the cause of all the subsequent vibration problems. I had ruled out the CV Joints when the vibration problem started to happen about a year and a half ago because they had been replaced with a year prior. But after warranty work replacing transfer case, and driveshaft that still didn't fix the problem, eventually the vibration got bad enough that once in a while I would hear a clunk or two while turning a certain direction at speed around town and that gave me the first clue the it might be the CV Joint after all. So a year and a half later after first experiencing the vibration problem, in January 2011 - problem solved with a new passenger side CV Joint. A local European car dealer and garage sourced the part for just under $250. What a relief after all this time.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, we are doing the transfer case next week, see how that goes and the next item on the list is front end components....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My indy is replacing the passenger side cv shaft on the 17th on comparison with the driver's side it has more rotational movement and I have a high pitched squeak when I don't accelerate but when I do I now have a low pitch noise that sounds like metal on metal....

I also noticed that I have a clunk when going from reverse to drive or drive to reverse, but none of that when going from park to either....i dont really know if this is a recent development though....I also haven't really determined where it is coming from....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts