BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Brnclwn
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 530i.. i just changed out the spark plugs and put all bosch plat +4s in there... always fun taking out the last one spark near the window...but... before 2 days ago my car stalled at a stop sign... it was hesitating when i pressed the gas and felt like it was going to stall...and the engine was shaking a bit i can feel it on the steering wheel......
....i put in park and started it up..no prob...soo i know its not the alternator...or bat... soo i drove it thru a parknig lot...for a min.... then on the highway..got it to 50 for 10 mins.. i was home.....it felt normal but a lil bit of shaknig...
....soo today.. I replaced the plugs like i mentioned earlier... and checked all fluids and oil.. the plugs needed to be changed...sooo got it all in...sooo i start....it starts up No prob...but then i starts to shake after a min...and shake more... you can see my engine shaking....im like HUH.... sooo i pressed on the gas.... to rev the engine... it Revs fine.. soo i drove it around the block..and i can feel a slight hesitation...and came to a stop a sigh.... it felt like it wanted to stall...but i gased up again.... parked...
..... Im lke what the hell is this Shaking..its not normal.... my engine usualy purrs like a kitten..and i do use castrol syntec oil ONly and im at 2000 miles....easy driving..no long distance either.... .... and my fuel pump was replaced 2 years ago.... and its Not cold here in floida..sooo im at a lost...any words of wisdom would be soo greatly appreciated.

-pedro in key west

·
Registered
494 Posts
vacuum leak, MAF, ICV, Vanos, CCV , and O2's can have these symptoms, any smoke from tailpipe? any codes being thrown? It could also be fuel system related, many suspects, not enough info.......

·
Brnclwn
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm

nope...no smoke.. coming out the tail pipe... i checked that just now... i tried the simple stuff......and No codes coming up at all... where is the MAF ?

·
Registered
494 Posts
on upper right side, follow the air intake back and you will see it beetween your air filter box and your throttle body, has a connector on the side of it.....are the plugs torq'd properly? did you get new rubber boots for the plugs? How many miles on the engine?

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
just want to make sure when you say no codes, that means no codes from a code reader tool? surprised you've got no codes thrown.

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
Your posts are messy and hard to read. Please try to use the more commonly used English writing style.

Bosch +4s aren't recommended; OEM plugs are the best. You will not gain anything from spending more on the plugs.

You probably are experiencing the classic VANOS problems: www.beisansystems.com for more information. If the symptoms don't match for sure, you probably have a vacuum leak or didn't do something right while changing the plugs. Perhaps an ignition coil is busted.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had replaced my bosch 2 with the Iredium 4's and I hate them!!! I spent $70 bucks for the 4's and now I have to shell out another $50 for the NGK's. My car has a low idle, I suspect it's the plugs!!! I have the same problems your having, I took it a Indy, and I will have a smoke test done tomorrow. It sounds like a Vacuum leak to me, but change those plugs first.

·
Brnclwn
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm

Well in my perfect broken ENGLISH, even before I put new plugs in my car (which were ngk bmw +4 plugs) the engine was shaking and wanting to stall. Now with the new plugs - Bosch +4s i installed, still doing the same thing.

What bothers me the most is why my car wants to stall. It stalled once and my engine felt like it was struggling up to the time it stalled. Ive used the Boschs before, never had a problem with them. It stinks living in paradise here in key west when a decent INDY mech is 150 miles away.

·
Brnclwn
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm

I unhooked and looked at all my coils, they seem fine. Just had some lil bit of greyish white inside. They are OEM coils. And thanks noob for the link to the Vanos problem. It is very smiliar, with the low idliing. But between a Vacumm and Vanos, im hoping it is just a VAcumm problem.

·
Registered
252 Posts
First check your fuel pressure. I just went through the same thing on my son's JEEP. His problem was initially the fuel pump for stalling. Did you replace the fuel filter? If you don't have pressure try that. The nest issue could be the fuel pressure regulator. Pull off the vacuum hose and see what happens ?

My son - an auto tech major - did an extensive overhaul - plugs, main rear seal, oil pump oil pan gasket, oil sending unit, valve cover gasket, rotor and distributor cap. Afterwards, Because it wouldn't run, I spent $400. in labor on a tank mounted pump. Dealer said it wasn't spec 51 psi - the pump I bought for an additional $188 was defectivei. Went back to AUTOZONE and to pump manufacturer AIRTEX - he said if 31-39 as specified in the Helm Inc. shop manual wasn't good enough we'd be selling thousands. Called JEEP they said the same as the dealer. Only took it to dealer because of the danger with working on it in my house.

After three mechanics looked at it, on my son's advice started looking for a shop with an antiquated tool the oscilloscope. Finally located a guy with an oscilloscope capability scan tool. Found it instantly, the 5 & 7 wires were crossed on the distibutor. Moral of the story don't let your kid work on your car. They're great on theory weak on appplication.

I'd say you damaged the wires while changing the plugs or crossed them somehow. Look for a corona on the wires. You will beat yourself to death blaming the ECM etc.

Good luck !

·
Registered
477 Posts
Same problem?

I think you may have the same problem I had several months ago. I had a broken adjuster unit (asa DISA) and it caused a very, very rough idle. The idle went away when I gassed it, but every stop sign and stoplight, I was sweating bullets thinking I was going to stall out. :eek:

Check out my thread, post #12 is when I figured out the problem and posted photos of the broken unit.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363226

Hope this helps!
Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts