BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago, I sold OEM Matte and Brushed Chrome Illuminated Aluminum Shift Knobs. These were unique because BMW only sells leather and wood (limited choice grains) illuminated shift knobs... no aluminum. Also, I made mine light up amber, not red. I always thought red looked stoopid because it didn't match the dash. Anyway, I couldn't keep up with demand. Lots of people ordered but I had to turn them away.

Things are different now. We found a new supplier and have them CNC machined. (the last ones were machined by hand and it was one of the dumbest, most dangerous things I have ever seen.).

Here are the pics:

Matte Chrome

Brushed Chrome

Illuminated

We have them on our website. You can order by phone or credit card. Most E46 and E36 BMWs are prewired, but we include scotch locks so any BMW can be retrofitted.

http://www.LeatherZ.com

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
Sure would be nice if you made one with a myrtle wood handle (hell, I'll even send you mine if you can retrofit it!) WITHOUT the 'M' emblem!

Good luck Jon--I'm sure you'll sell gazillions!

·
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The plain 5-speed logos are not translucent. It's a pisser. Only the ///M, 5-speed with ///M, /// 5-speed (which is very hard to get) and the 6-speed ///M shift pattern inserts will work.

The wood on the wood knobs is 0.070" thick around the lower 3/4 of the knob. Just a vineer. After we mill the pocket for LEDs, we have to drill hole(s) for wiring. We're nervous about breaking through the edges.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Let us know

Let us know if you every find a way to do a retrofit with wood. I know I would be in line to get my birch shift knob lighted.

--gary

·
Registered
152 Posts
Are this shift nobs, basically plug and play. Once you remove the old one will you find the connections necessary to make the illuminated one work? Or is the install left better to someone who knows what they are doing? Sorry if this question is lame, but I haven't had the thrill of playing around with my 325 yet as I sit here and wait for a boat. 4/12 Production Date, Status 190. Thanks

·
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most cars are prewired and install is plug and play. If your car does not come with a connector (it varies from car to car) then you can use scotch locks and tap into dimmed lighting at either the ashtray illumination or at one of the power window switches.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks for the info. As this my first BMW :p , and I'm quite the novice :( . I'll just have to wait 'til she comes in and hope it's plug and play. I really love the look of the illumination, and the amber is so much better looking than the red.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
sell any leather ones?

i like the metal, but have no metal of any kind in my car and i actually like the stock knob (although i wish it was a bit heavier). do you sell any of the leather lighted knobs? or do i have to get it from bmw? thanks. lots of good stuff on your site

·
Registered
590 Posts
Re: sell any leather ones?

eugeneDC/TX said:
i like the metal, but have no metal of any kind in my car and i actually like the stock knob (although i wish it was a bit heavier). do you sell any of the leather lighted knobs? or do i have to get it from bmw? thanks. lots of good stuff on your site
There's an idea. I might go for a lighted brown leather knob if it matched my "natural brown leather."

--gary

·
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We sell leather lighted knobs. They are remanufactueered new BMW knobs... we just strip off the black leather and recover in whatever color(s) customer wants. We could sell you an OEM virgin one if you wanted an all black.

We might be able to match NBL. Send us your mailing address and we will send you some samples. To get an exact match however, we'd need to buy a hide from BMW. They're about $350 wholesale.

·
Registered
590 Posts
JonM said:
We sell leather lighted knobs. They are remanufactueered new BMW knobs... we just strip off the black leather and recover in whatever color(s) customer wants. We could sell you an OEM virgin one if you wanted an all black.

We might be able to match NBL. Send us your mailing address and we will send you some samples. To get an exact match however, we'd need to buy a hide from BMW. They're about $350 wholesale.
How many knobs can you make from a hide? Maybe we can get a group buy organized.

--gary

20,210 Posts
JonM--I'm assuming the top piece is just an insert? The reason I ask is that I have a 6 speed (M3), and was wondering if I could just swap out my current insert into a new knob.

They look great.

·
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nat Brown said:

How many knobs can you make from a hide? Maybe we can get a group buy organized.

--gary
Like 500. If we knew how many people wanted them, we'd just do $350/how many and adjust the price $20 or whatever it ends out being. We could do shift and e-brake boots and UGDO panels or whatever also in NBL to spread out the square footage.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have the OEM matte shifter. I know this is a far off question, but the wires can't be retrofitted into my existing knob correct? I wasn't aware you had this available when I purchased my car, otherwise I would have gotten it. Does the matte chrome match the oem exactly? How about the height? I like my shifter, but I wish it was a little higher.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Jon MADDUX! Dan Wu here. Hey, have you given up pimping for the E46 leather trims now because it was too much hassle for not enough profit? I'd figure the E46 M3 guys would gobble these up.

I'll be at bimmerfest with Joanne's bright red 323Ci. Hopefully that'll entice a few people your way. I thought you've handed the business over...Are you still working on the leather stuff or are you partnering with someone in your area now?

And PLEASE tell me your coming down to the 'fest this weekend! Hell, I think a few of us will even pitch in to fly you down. ;)

·
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
KP said:
I have the OEM matte shifter. I know this is a far off question, but the wires can't be retrofitted into my existing knob correct? I wasn't aware you had this available when I purchased my car, otherwise I would have gotten it. Does the matte chrome match the oem exactly? How about the height? I like my shifter, but I wish it was a little higher.
We could work form your knob, but we will have it for 3-4 weeks. We are currently doing small batches of 20 knobs at a time. Machinist charges a setup fee and a per knob fee. Yes, the knob is an exact match to the matte chrome trim. We probably use the same knob as what you already have. No, they are all shorter than stock leather knobs. Most people prefer them shorter. It would save you $70 or so if you sent us your knob.

·
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey, have you given up pimping for the E46 leather trims now because it was too much hassle for not enough profit? I'd figure the E46 M3 guys would gobble these up.
Yeah, I have given up. Even if customer provides trim and I charged $800, it's not worth my time. After spending $350 plus for a hlaf hide of customer spec'd leather, the hourly rate is less than minimum wage. Forget it. At $1200 things get a little better, but I don't think anyone would pay it.

I just got back from Palm Springs so I don't think I'm going to make it to bimmerfest this year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts